Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 20:55:05

Hi all!

I have a onboard soundcard which claims to be "Soundblaster Compatible".
I've read the Sound-Howto, which says "to install a Sounblaster
Compatible Soundcard with the Sounblaster driver is a waste of time". I
schould use the Mad16 driver instead, which does not work.
My Question is: Which driver should I use?

Soundblaster Question

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:20:58

> Hi all!

> I have a onboard soundcard which claims to be "Soundblaster Compatible".
> I've read the Sound-Howto, which says "to install a Sounblaster
> Compatible Soundcard with the Sounblaster driver is a waste of time". I
> schould use the Mad16 driver instead, which does not work.
> My Question is: Which driver should I use?

Do you have any idea what the actual chip is or which Soundblaster model
it emulates?  Some only have SBPro compatible which is only 8-bit sound.
It also depends upon which sound modules you are using (kernel or alsa).

It is hard to be any more specific without knowing what chip you have.

Soundblaster Question

Post by DarkLigh » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:11:32

>>Hi all!

>>I have a onboard soundcard which claims to be "Soundblaster Compatible".
>>I've read the Sound-Howto, which says "to install a Sounblaster
>>Compatible Soundcard with the Sounblaster driver is a waste of time". I
>>schould use the Mad16 driver instead, which does not work.
>>My Question is: Which driver should I use?

> Do you have any idea what the actual chip is or which Soundblaster model
> it emulates?  Some only have SBPro compatible which is only 8-bit sound.
> It also depends upon which sound modules you are using (kernel or alsa).

> It is hard to be any more specific without knowing what chip you have.

> it would help if you said what version of linux you are using as set

   is different for each version of linux any one whoi tells you their
   all the same is lying

Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:04:15

> Do you have any idea what the actual chip is or which Soundblaster model
> it emulates?  Some only have SBPro compatible which is only 8-bit sound.
> It also depends upon which sound modules you are using (kernel or alsa).

> It is hard to be any more specific without knowing what chip you have.

I have a Hewlet Packard PC "Pavillion", and I'm using Slackware Linux 8.1
with the 2.4.18 Kernel.
It seems that my soundcard emulates a Sound Blaster PCI128. My manual says
that I have a "on-board stereo soundcard with 16 bit and 3d sound effects.
It is compatible to the standards 'Sound Blaster' and 'Microsoft Sound
System 2.0'"

I haven't tried ALSA yet...should I give it a try? Would it help?

thanks in advance,
Daniel Pfurtscheller

Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:10:21

> I have a Hewlet Packard PC "Pavillion", and I'm using Slackware Linux
> 8.1 with the 2.4.18 Kernel.
> It seems that my soundcard emulates a Sound Blaster PCI128. My manual
> says that I have a "on-board stereo soundcard with 16 bit and 3d sound
> effects. It is compatible to the standards 'Sound Blaster' and
> 'Microsoft Sound System 2.0'"

> I haven't tried ALSA yet...should I give it a try? Would it help?

> thanks in advance,
> Daniel Pfurtscheller

I just did a 'cat /proc/pci' and look what happend:

  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 3).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe03f].

Could this help you?

Soundblaster Question

Post by Spamles » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:45:01

>> Do you have any idea what the actual chip is or which Soundblaster model
>> it emulates?  Some only have SBPro compatible which is only 8-bit sound.
>> It also depends upon which sound modules you are using (kernel or alsa).

>> It is hard to be any more specific without knowing what chip you have.

> I have a Hewlet Packard PC "Pavillion",

What model? And then what motherboard (I have a Pavillion 7850 -
when reviewed in many PC mags, they mentioned its ASUS motherboard,
as mentioned on the HP site ... but, during the run they switched
over to EMACHINES motherboards (made by the parent company of
EMACHINES) ... so I had to look around to find out just what was
on my motherboard and what chipsets it uses).

Quote:> It seems that my soundcard emulates a Sound Blaster PCI128. My manual says
> that I have a "on-board stereo soundcard with 16 bit and 3d sound effects.
> It is compatible to the standards 'Sound Blaster' and 'Microsoft Sound
> System 2.0'"

Lots of cards are "compatible to the standards 'Sound Blaster'..."
meaning it can handle sounds with its own drivers. Sound Blaster
compatible doesn't mean it works with Sound Blaster drivers.

You will need to know what it really is.

Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:49:37

Quote:> What model?

hp pavilion PC model a920 (ge)
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hppavilion44947.html

Quote:> Sound Blaster compatible doesn't mean it works with Sound Blaster drivers.

But under Win2K my soundcard works with the original Soundblaster
drivers!

Sorry, but I can't find out what motherboard I have.
On HP's (awful) homepage there's no usefull information about it.
I seems there is very little support for 'old' models like mine.
In the terrible manual which was shiped with the pc there are
also no hardware specs, only stupid instructions like 'how to plug in
a mouse', and other pathetic stuff.

What I know about my computer:
Its an Athlon 1.1 GHz with 128 MB RAM. It got shipped with WinME (Ugh!),
a DVD drive, mouse, keyb., ...

But what about the 'Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI' with 'cat /proc/pci' reported?
Isn't this a start?

--
- pfu
"There are THREE kinds of people in the world...

Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:13:43

I used the es1371.o module and everithing works fine!
Thanks!
--

Post by Spamles » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:42:35

>> What model?
> hp pavilion PC model a920 (ge)
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hppavilion44947.html

> But what about the 'Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI' with 'cat /proc/pci' reported?
> Isn't this a start?

Have you tried googling for:

 linux "Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI"

(you may bet more hits with:
 linux "Ensoniq 5880")

Let me quickly try ...

Lots of stuff ... mostly in German (do you speak German?) alas.
And Spanish. And Italian. Well, the 'net is rather large :-)

... ah ...
http://www.math.temple.edu/doc/sdb/en/html/swgkern_ensoniq5880.html

SuSE Linux: Version since 7.0
Kernel: Version since 2.2

Solution:
 On our ftp server you can find an update for the ALSA package
 which includes the support for this special sound chip.

Hint

To check if your soundcard is of this type, please use as user root in a terminal the following command

    * lspci -v

In the output the following lines should be mentioned:

   00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI(rev 02)
           Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128

You may want to take a look at the latest version of the alsa drivers.

Soundblaster Question

Post by Daniel Pfurtschelle » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:31:55

On a dark and gloomy day (Wed, 11 Dec 2002 06:42:35 +0100), Spamless

Quote:> Lots of stuff ... mostly in German (do you speak German?)

yes! how did know that?! My english isn't that bad, is it?

I'm also using Slackware 8.1, and for me the 'es1371' module works
perfectly. I used tthe GNOME mixer to unmute my channels and voila!
xmms already played the new Bob Dylan LP.

--
- pfu
"There are THREE kinds of people in the world...
     Those that can count and those that can't."

1. emu10k1/SoundBlaster Question

A couple of interesting threads on various third party sites claim support
for the SoundBlaster Live card. There is also a cryptic reference to this in
the handbook.

from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x8615.html:

Note: The Sound Blaster Live is not supported under FreeBSD 4.0 without a
patch, which this document will not cover. It is recommended that you update
to the latest -STABLE before trying to use this card.

Despite this, an extensive search of the freebsd.org site lends me no useful
results.

I am wondering if anybody knows the location of said patch or perhaps a FAQ
on getting this card to work.

I am dual-booting Windows 2000 and FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. As wonderful as such
a situation is (best of both worlds), it is still a pain in the ass to
reboot every time I want to listen to an MP3.

Thanks in advance,

Martin Eden.

2. ipv6 links/code

3. SoundBlaster Question, feasability

4. Final Exam? (Re: LINUX is obsolete)

5. Soundblaster Questions....

6. HELP: Panasonic KXL-D720 SCSI PCMCIA CD-ROM

7. SoundBlaster question?

8. HTTPd: "invalid CGI ref getwd: can't open"

9. Stupid Soundblaster Question

10. soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem

11. Installing Linux using Soundblaster (Not Soundblaster Pro) CD drive

12. Soundblaster Mixer Question

13. soundblaster live in linux and kernel question