Using a ATA/66 disk with a ATA/66 cable on a Linux 2.2 system

Using a ATA/66 disk with a ATA/66 cable on a Linux 2.2 system

Post by Romain Guillere » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

                Hi,

I've been using a ATA/66 disk on a CUSL2 motherboard using a ATA/66
cable (40-pin).
Linux detected the disk (kernel 2.2.17, no patch) and all worked fine.

The problem is that it has not always worked.
On an ASUS P3V4X motherboard, it didn't.
I had to use the old IDE cable. With the ATA/66 cable, Linux did not
detect the drive.

Can anybody certify me that I can use a ATA/66 disk with ATA/66 cable on
a 2.2 kernel?
I wish I could enable ATA/66 optimisations once kernel 2.4 is out
without changing the cable.

TIA

        Romain Guilleret

Post by Devin Dre » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>                 Hi,

> I've been using a ATA/66 disk on a CUSL2 motherboard using a ATA/66
> cable (40-pin).
> Linux detected the disk (kernel 2.2.17, no patch) and all worked fine.

> The problem is that it has not always worked.
> On an ASUS P3V4X motherboard, it didn't.
> I had to use the old IDE cable. With the ATA/66 cable, Linux did not
> detect the drive.

Im not sure why this cable wouldn't work. Could it be that the new 80wire
cables break old ide controllers? Did the P3V4X support ata66? If not then
it doesn't matter anyway. You could certainly install a $40 ata66 card on
the old mobo.

Quote:

> Can anybody certify me that I can use a ATA/66 disk with ATA/66 cable on
> a 2.2 kernel?
> I wish I could enable ATA/66 optimisations once kernel 2.4 is out
> without changing the cable.

Should work fine being as your the cable works with your current setup. All
that the new drivers will get you is the ability to use the hardware
features that your 2.2 kernel is unaware of.

Devin

Post by Phil Kimbl » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:13:40

> >                 Hi,

> > I've been using a ATA/66 disk on a CUSL2 motherboard using a ATA/66
> > cable (40-pin).
> > Linux detected the disk (kernel 2.2.17, no patch) and all worked fine.

> > The problem is that it has not always worked.
> > On an ASUS P3V4X motherboard, it didn't.
> > I had to use the old IDE cable. With the ATA/66 cable, Linux did not
> > detect the drive.

> Im not sure why this cable wouldn't work. Could it be that the new 80wire
> cables break old ide controllers? Did the P3V4X support ata66? If not then
> it doesn't matter anyway. You could certainly install a $40 ata66 card on
> the old mobo.

> > Can anybody certify me that I can use a ATA/66 disk with ATA/66 cable on
> > a 2.2 kernel?
> > I wish I could enable ATA/66 optimisations once kernel 2.4 is out
> > without changing the cable.

> Should work fine being as your the cable works with your current setup.
All
> that the new drivers will get you is the ability to use the hardware
> features that your 2.2 kernel is unaware of.

> Devin

Running cdm ata66 cdm a p166 at mobo, 1.2GB on hda, 10gb ata66 on port0 &
30GB from the cdm card. Installed slack7.1 (2.2.16) did an ide patch, and no
problems!