Looking for CD-ROM RW for Linux redhat 7.1

Looking for CD-ROM RW for Linux redhat 7.1

Post by haki » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:00:53

I am seeking advice for purchasing CD-ROM RW for my box running Redhat
7.1...any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks

Rey

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:02:55

> I am seeking advice for purchasing CD-ROM RW for my box running Redhat
> 7.1...any advice will be welcomed.

Anything.  They all work.  Of course, some work better than others, so
might want to check some reviews.  I've been satisfied with my Samsung
unit.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Tim McCo » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:47:10

> I am seeking advice for purchasing CD-ROM RW for my box running Redhat
> 7.1...any advice will be welcomed.

> Thanks

> Rey

Just buy one! They are a hardware device, and are pretty much all
supported. I friend and I have been using LG drives for the past 12 months
- and all is perfect with Linux. Price is good, and quality of the drives
is great. But then, go with what you please... I'm assuming that you'll be
getting an IDE (ATAPI) drive, which should work with RedHat without too
many issues. Although, with a kernel that old (with RH7.1) you may want to
either go for a slightly newer distro, or build a custom kernel. That way
you'll ensure setting things up isn't too much of a hassle.

Or if system needs are an issue, go with Debian - I've always found it
tends to be less fussy about system specs. There's some CD-R/W setup info
on my website.

Cheers

Tim

Post by Jerry McBrid » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:41:28

>> I am seeking advice for purchasing CD-ROM RW for my box running Redhat
>> 7.1...any advice will be welcomed.

> Anything.  They all work.  Of course, some work better than others, so
> might want to check some reviews.  I've been satisfied with my Samsung
> unit.

Yup, just be sure to get something the supports BURN-PROOF technology for
zero underrun errors. Especially true if you buy IDE interfaced cdrw...

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
html.
     8:49pm  up 78 days,  1:42,  7 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.08, 0.02

Post by David E Fo » Sun, 28 Dec 2003 03:31:31

> Yup, just be sure to get something the supports BURN-PROOF technology for
> zero underrun errors. Especially true if you buy IDE interfaced cdrw...

Ditto :)

I've been pleased with my Toshiba SD-1312. Bought it on a friend's
recommendation. It's a combo drive (DVD reader/cd writer) and it works
really nicely for both.

David E. Fox                              Thanks for letting me