IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by Celestin Helle » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Easy question : Linux wants my CDROM te be 'master' otherwise
it does not recognise it. But in this case, I have boot problem (I have
to boot twice else my computer halts) and Linux halts too when I read
on the CD via Linux

        I have a IDE HD 1Go whose jumpers are on 'alone' (other choices
are master, slave...)

        Question : how to I put my jumpers correctly ?
        Question : can I put my ATAPI CD-ROM on a sound blaster pro 2
                   and will this solve my problems ?

        Thank you very much...            Celestin

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by Barry Jame » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have the same problem....sorta.  I have an ATAPI quad CDROM as MASTER
on the 2nd IDE channel and Linux doesn't like that at all.  When I try to
access it at all, the system hangs and I have to reset the system.  Any
ideas or `gotchas' on this?

Regards,

Barry

Barry L James                   |  Mikrotec Internet Services, Inc.
Internet Systems Engineer       |  1001 Winchester Rd
Mikrotec Internet Services      |  Lexington  KY 40505

Post by Peter Wal » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I have the same problem....sorta.  I have an ATAPI quad CDROM as MASTER
> on the 2nd IDE channel and Linux doesn't like that at all.  When I try to
> access it at all, the system hangs and I have to reset the system.  Any
> ideas or `gotchas' on this?

> Regards,

> Barry

> Barry L James                   |  Mikrotec Internet Services, Inc.
> Internet Systems Engineer       |  1001 Winchester Rd
> Mikrotec Internet Services      |  Lexington  KY 40505

Linux insists that if there is only one drive on the controller, it must
be the master.

   Peter Walsh        o  \o/ \ / \o/ \o/#  o  \o/ <o  <o> \o/
 ---------------      |   |   |   |   |__ <|>  |   |>  |   |

Post by Frank van de P » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: > I have the same problem....sorta.  I have an ATAPI quad CDROM as MASTER
: > on the 2nd IDE channel and Linux doesn't like that at all.  When I try to
: > access it at all, the system hangs and I have to reset the system.  Any
: > ideas or `gotchas' on this?

: Linux insists that if there is only one drive on the controller, it must
: be the master.

Sure that's correct, but didn't Barry tell that he had his CDROM configured
as master?

Does this hardware configuration work under DOS? I've a possible comparible
configuration, with a Toschiba quad speed ATAPI cdrom:

Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: hda: ST31220A, 1033MB w/256KB Cache, LBA,
                CHS=524/64/63, MaxMult=32
Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI, CDROM drive
                                ^
                                | 2nd IDE controller

Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: ide0: primary interface on irq 14

Frank.
--
========================---------------->
#define NAME    "Frank van de Pol"     /| L:  a typical DOS PC boot sequence:

  "Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

Post by Alberto Accomaz » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I have the same problem....sorta.  I have an ATAPI quad CDROM as MASTER
: on the 2nd IDE channel and Linux doesn't like that at all.  When I try to
: access it at all, the system hangs and I have to reset the system.  Any
: ideas or `gotchas' on this?

Barry,

I had a similar problem and eventually found out that the problem was
my buggy IDE controller (a CMD-640).  That's the first thing I would check,
especially if the drive works fine under DOS (you should be able to read
the controller's name on the on-board chip next to the IDE cables).
If that turns out to be the problem, you have two choices:  either move
your CDROM to the primary interface (and configure it as slave), or
keep it where it is and upgrade to a 1.2.9 or higher kernel (I recommend
1.2.11) and use the "hda=serialize" boot option when you startup the
system.  This appears to work well for some people, but not everybody
(I kept getting timeouts when accessing the CDROM and HD at the same time).

Good luck,

- Alberto

============
Alberto Accomazzi                       Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~alberto     Cambridge, MA  02138  USA

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by Walter Greenwo » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I had similair problems and once I switched the CD from the 2nd to the
primary, it worked fine. Here is what I did:

Subject: Re: IDE/ATAPI FX400 CDROM won't mount

Quote:

> I assume that when you say that you recompiled the kernel, that you
> included support for the ISO9660 filesystem and support for IDE/ATAPI
> CD-ROM drives (just checking :)

        yup, that's why I was wondering what the problem was... ;-)

Quote:

> Furthermore, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have the
> CD-ROM on the secondary IDE interface. I'll also assume that this is the
> only drive on the secondary interface. Linux insists that a single drive
> on an interface must be jumpered as being a Master device. If you crack
> your computer's case, and check the back of the CD-ROM unit, you will see
> the jumper block. If it isnt set already, change it to master.

        Right again! (you're good at this)  I wasn't aware of the fact
that Linux requires a single drive unit to be master. I checked out the
setup and discovered that my HD was plugged into the Primary interface
and the CD-ROM into the secondary interface.
        Since there was still another place free on the primary I just
unplugged the CD from the secondary and attached it to the primary.
Then I rebooted and lo and behold it became /dev/hdb !  But if your
suggestion works, I think I will switch it back to the secondary, in case
I add another HD.

Quote:

> Reboot. If this doesnt work, then edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and add
> the line

> hdc=cdrom

        I already tried passing that as a param. to lilo:
lilo boot: linux hdc=cdrom  and linux hdd=cdrom
both times a CD was found at ide1, IRQ 15, 0x0170
but it hung at Looking for CD...

        Anyway, it seems to be working now, funny though, you're the only
one who hit on the real cause, everybody else was *way* off track.
thanks a bunch for the help!

Walt

|Walter Greenwood                               |
|Santa Rosa Junior College                      |

|WWW   ->  http://www.santarosa.edu/~wgreenwo   |
|          Immer das Kleinschrift lesen! :-)    |
|_______________________________________________|

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>    Right again! (you're good at this)  I wasn't aware of the fact
>that Linux requires a single drive unit to be master. I checked out the

The IDE standard requires any "single drive unit" to be "master".
Linux just follows the standard when probing for drives.

You can force Linux to be non-conformant by specifying   hdd=cdrom
on the "kernel command line" via LILO or BOOTLN.

Quote:>    Since there was still another place free on the primary I just
>unplugged the CD from the secondary and attached it to the primary.
>Then I rebooted and lo and behold it became /dev/hdb !  But if your
>suggestion works, I think I will switch it back to the secondary, in case
>I add another HD.

Drives which share a single IDE interface also share a common
device request queue in the linux kernel, effectively single-threading
requests to the two IDE devices.  This is required for correct operation
of the IDE interface.

When you pair a slow (cdrom) device with a fast (disk) device on a single
interface, the fast (disk) device will suffer in performance whenever both
devices are in simultaneous use.

Placing the cdrom on the separate secondary IDE interface allows the disk
to be accessed completely independently of the cdrom, increasing system
throughput whenever both devices are in simultaneous use.

But if your IDE interface uses a CMD 540[ab] chip, then it will not work
correctly with "simultaneous use", and the Linux driver must be forced
to single-thread all requests using the     hda=serialize    kernel parameter.
--

For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by Caldera Desktop Use » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have a NEC 272  CDROM , the system can recognize the drive and it will
try to mount, but during the process it locks up, requireing a reset to regain
control of the sytem.
Is this the drive, the driver or what?

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by David Hammi » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does this hardware configuration work under DOS? I've a possible comparible
>configuration, with a Toschiba quad speed ATAPI cdrom:
>Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: hda: ST31220A, 1033MB w/256KB Cache, LBA,
>            CHS=524/64/63, MaxMult=32
>Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI, CDROM drive
>                                ^
>                                | 2nd IDE controller

Hi Frank,

I'm trying to install Linux on a Pentium with PCI and the Toshiba IDE
Cdrom you mentioned. I made the Linux boot&root disks with Infomagics
LININST.EXE it askes wich CDROM I have and I answer IDE. It makes teh
boot and root disk. When I boot from floppy it is not capable of
seeing the CD-ROM. It never mentions one (no hdb or hdc.)

Got a clou ???

>Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
>Jun 29 23:02:35 obelix kernel: ide0: primary interface on irq 14

>Frank.
>--
>========================---------------->
>#define NAME    "Frank van de Pol"     /| L:  a typical DOS PC boot sequence:
>#define ADDRESS "mgr. Nelislaan 10"   / | I:  tick, tick, tick, .(etc).,
>#define CITY    "4741 AB Hoeven"     /--| N:  bhuurrrrrr, bruzzzzzz, pieereep
>#define COUNTRY "The Netherlands"   /   | U:  doggadoggadoggadoggadoggabrrrr

>  "Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

Post by James A. Robins » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install Linux on a Pentium with PCI and the Toshiba IDE
>Cdrom  you mentioned. I made the Linux boot&root disks with Infomagics
>LININST.EXE it askes wich CDROM I have and I answer IDE. It makes teh
>boot and root disk. When I boot from floppy it is not capable of
>seeing the CD-ROM. It never mentions one (no hdb or hdc.)

I just for that model CD working on my machine last night.  It may be
that your kernel is not supporting it.  I would recompile the kernel.
When you do a "make config" and it asks about ATAPI CD drives, answer
yes.

Jim
--
http://plato.simons-rock.edu/~jimr/

Post by Kevin Coze » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: I have the same problem....sorta.  I have an ATAPI quad CDROM as MASTER
>: on the 2nd IDE channel and Linux doesn't like that at all.  When I try to
>: access it at all, the system hangs and I have to reset the system.  Any
>: ideas or `gotchas' on this?
>Barry,

Don't forget to check that you have entries in /dev for hdc and hdd.
If you don't, you may need to run the MAKEDEV script. This was what
stopped me for a while even though the kernal saw the device when it
did the initial system probe at boot time.

1. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

I'm having problems getting Linux 1.1.81 to successfully recognize my
Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM drive.  The drive works fine under DOS
and Windows.

I've read the README.ide in the drivers/block directory.  I've added the
'append "hdc=cdrom"' line to /etc/lilo.conf (and reinstalled lilo).

Here are some excerpts from the /var/adm/messages file:

-------------------------
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: hdc: cdrom
.
.
.
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: no response
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: ATAPI cdrom (?)
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide0: primary interface on irq 14
-------------------------

If I attempt to mount a CD-ROM the machine hangs for a while
(I can switch virtual consoles but cannot type).  If I hit
control-C the 'mount' attempt finally fails (after a minute
or so) and then I can type again.

If I boot DOS first (which loads the DOS IDE driver for the
enhanced IDE card and for the CD-ROM drive) and then do a
warm reboot into Linux, Linux recognizes the CD-ROM drive
and the drive mounts and works fine.

Here is what /var/adm/messages says in that case:

----------------------------------
Jan 18 03:52:25 helix kernel: hdc: FX400_02, ATAPI, CDROM drive
----------------------------------

If I use Linux 1.1.75 with the ide patch applied (and warm boot
to Linux from DOS), here is what /var/adm/messages says:

Jan 18 02:53:50 helix kernel: hdc: XF04_020, ATAPI, CDROM drive

The drive works fine in this case too.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Is it more likely a problem with the drive or with the PCI EIDE
card?  I recently helped someone setup up Linux 1.1.75 with IDE
patches and a Mitsumi 4X IDE ATAPI drive on a ZEOS Pantera and
had none of the above-described problems.

My machine has an ASUS P5-90 PCI motherboard.  The EIDE card I'm
using is called "S1363-004 PCI Local Bus Enhanced IDE & Multi
I/O Controller".
--

               World Wide Web: http://www.compbio.caltech.edu/~garnett
"If private encryption is outlawed, then only criminals will have access to

2. Wanted: Appointment Calendar, Address Book

3. ATAPI/Mitsumi CD-ROM 4x Problem...

4. where can i get the src rpm..

5. Once again(?): Mitsumi 4x ATAPI woes

6. quantum bigfoot

7. Mitsumi 4X CD & Linux ? (ATAPI)

8. Netscape SEGFAULTS consistent

9. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

10. Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

11. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

12. Sanyo 4x vs. Mitsumi 4x

13. Using a Mitsumi 4X CDROM on a SB AWE 32