NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by David M. Co » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Has anyone gotten ghostscript to work with this printer?  This is on a
Redhat 5.1 box.

I tried the ljetplus driver.  Nothing.  I actually got it to spit out a page
with some *on it using the ljet4 driver.  I've tried both GS 5.10 and
5.50.

Thanks,
Dave Cook

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by Eric L. Anso » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> Has anyone gotten ghostscript to work with this printer?  This is on a
> Redhat 5.1 box.

If you get a solution to this problem could you post it here?  I'm
currently looking to buy a laser printer to use with my machine which
I use both for win95 and linux.  I was looking at the Okipage 6e and the
NEC Superscript 870 and leaning toward the NEC.  If it doesn't work with
linux though, it sure would be good for me to know before I buy.  Thanks.

-Eric

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by Ervin D. Walt » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00


[Posted and mailed]



Quote:> Has anyone gotten ghostscript to work with this printer?  This is on a
> Redhat 5.1 box.

> I tried the ljetplus driver.  Nothing.  I actually got it to spit out a page
> with some *on it using the ljet4 driver.  I've tried both GS 5.10 and
> 5.50.

Yes, ljet2p and ljetplus both work perfectly for me.  ljet4 will not
work as it uses PCL 5 and the 870 does not support that version of
PCL.  

Erv

--




User error: Replace user and press ENTER.
 -- tagline 1.00 by xopy

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00


[Posted and mailed]



Quote:

>> Has anyone gotten ghostscript to work with this printer?  This is on a
>> Redhat 5.1 box.

> If you get a solution to this problem could you post it here?  I'm
> currently looking to buy a laser printer to use with my machine which
> I use both for win95 and linux.  I was looking at the Okipage 6e and the
> NEC Superscript 870 and leaning toward the NEC.  If it doesn't work with
> linux though, it sure would be good for me to know before I buy.  Thanks.

I'd suggest you lean the other way.  The Okidata 6e is a PCL 5e printer,
according to the web page, which means that it *SHOULD* work with the
Ghostscript ljet4 driver for 600 dpi output (though the mechanism is
actually 300x1200 dpi, which means that it's got to do some translation
from the ljet4's 600x600 dpi output, and this will inevitably degrade the
quality a bit).  I've heard of predecessors to the 6e working fine with
this sort of setup, but I've not actually seen printouts from them when
driven this way.

The NEC 870, OTOH, supports PrintGear (which isn't supported by
Ghostscript) for 600 dpi output and PCL 4.5 for 300 dpi output.  This
latter SHOULD work with other Ghostscript LaserJet drivers, but only at
300 dpi.  Buying such a printer for Linux use, IMHO, sends the wrong
message to the manufacturers, and of course gives you inferior quality.
I'd only consider such a printer if the price were substantially below
that of competing models, and even then I'd have qualms about buying it.

Other printers to consider in that price range include the Lexmark Optra
E+, the HP LaserJet 6L, and the Brother HL-760.  The Lexmark's a nice
model and supports more expansion options than most of the others.  The
HP's got the most readily-available supplies and support.  The Brother
I've qualms about, since a Brother HL-660 I owned was a piece of junk.
The HL-700 series seems to be better than the HL-600 series, judging by
net postings, but even the HL-700 series has garnered more than its share
of complaints.

Disclaimer:  I have personal experience only with a Lexmark Optra E+ and
Brother HL-660, none of the others discussed here (aside from in-store
demos).  Much of this information is gathered simply from printer specs on
web sites, and manufacturers have gotten good at hiding surprises in these
specs.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by David M. Co » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>Yes, ljet2p and ljetplus both work perfectly for me.  ljet4 will not
>work as it uses PCL 5 and the 870 does not support that version of
>PCL.  

I've tried both ljetplus and ljet2p without luck.

I've tried using gs directly:

gs -sDEVICE=ljetplus  -sPAPERSIZE=letter -r300x300 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER
-sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 testpage.ps

I've tried -r600x600 and the ljet2p device as well.

I've also tried editing /var/spool/lpd/lp/postscript.cfg:

GSDEVICE=ljet2p
RESOLUTION=300x300
COLOR=
PAPERSIZE=letter
EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS=""
REVERSE_ORDER=
PS_SEND_EOF=NO

#
# following is related to printing multiple pages per output page
#
NUP=1
RTLFTMAR=18
TOPBOTMAR=18

Here's what my printcap looks like

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet2p 300x300 letter {} LaserJet2p Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
        :sh:

I've also tried not supressing headers.

Hmmm...it just printed out a test page from Redhat's printtool with a HUGE
font and a lot of garbage on the page.

Printing plain text works fine.

Dave

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>If you get a solution to this problem could you post it here?  

Turns out the problem was not that it was not printing but that it was
taking forever (4 minutes) to print.  A solution was to use tunelp to set
an IRQ for /dev/lp1.

But as someone else pointed out, you only get a 300x300 resolution under
Linux.  I'm considering adding the postscript option as I'm stuck with the
printer anyway.

Dave Cook

 
 
 

NEC Superscript 870 and Ghostscript

Post by Miinshiou Huan » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> [Posted and mailed]



> >> Has anyone gotten ghostscript to work with this printer?  This is on a
> >> Redhat 5.1 box.

> > If you get a solution to this problem could you post it here?  I'm
> > currently looking to buy a laser printer to use with my machine which
> > I use both for win95 and linux.  I was looking at the Okipage 6e and the
> > NEC Superscript 870 and leaning toward the NEC.  If it doesn't work with
> > linux though, it sure would be good for me to know before I buy.  Thanks.

> Other printers to consider in that price range include the Lexmark Optra
> E+, the HP LaserJet 6L, and the Brother HL-760.  The Lexmark's a nice
> model and supports more expansion options than most of the others.  The
> HP's got the most readily-available supplies and support.  The Brother
> I've qualms about, since a Brother HL-660 I owned was a piece of junk.
> The HL-700 series seems to be better than the HL-600 series, judging by
> net postings, but even the HL-700 series has garnered more than its share
> of complaints.

I have owned a Brother HL-1060 for a couple months now.  It works fine
with ljet4 driver.  It's a 10ppm, 600dpi (600x1200 in Windows) printer
with 2 paper trays.  I like the 2 paper trays because I can put cheap
paper in one tray, good paper in the other, and envolop in the manual
feed occationally.  I don't have to change paper.  It cost me less
than $300.  I don't know how long it will last, though.

--
Miinshiou Huang, Research Associate
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
University of Tennessee, Knoxville

 
 
 

1. Printing and Ghostscript questions... (for NEC Superscript 870)

Hi,
I am trying to figure out if ghostscript under Linux will support the NEC
Superscript 870.  I see that ghostscript will support the HP PCL XL
drivers (see www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/devices.html).  However, the
NEC is supposed to have PCL 4 emulation, and I don't know if that's good
enough.

Anyone have an idea?  ... Does the 870 work with Linux?
Thanks!
--
-Mike Schwager

2. Yamaha DS-XG

3. wordperfect & nec superscript 870?

4. Problem with Mounting CD

5. NEC SuperScript 870

6. Mandrake CUPS Samba Printing

7. NEC SuperScript 870 printer

8. sshd exec error

9. NEC Superscript 870 Printer

10. NEC SuperScript 870 printer

11. NEC SuperScript 870 and RedHat 7.0

12. NEC SuperScript 870

13. Slow printing NEC SuperScript 870