How can I restart IDT's NICStar ATM card on-line ?

How can I restart IDT's NICStar ATM card on-line ?

Post by Roland Erns » Sat, 04 May 2002 15:34:03

I use a quite big PC with RedHat-7.1, Kernel version 2.4.2. This PC
features 13 PCI slots, 8 of them are equipped with "Integrated Device
Tech IDT77211 ATM Adapter" (NICStar). We use those 8 ATM ports with some
CLIP network layer for testing purposes of network components.
From time to time, one of the ATM cards seems to hang in such a way,
that it is not able to send or receive or both data from the ATM
interface. All physical connections are okay. When I shutdown, switch
off and then on the computer, then the problem disappears. I presume
some chip on the ATM card runs into some dead-end state. AS a matter of
fact, reboot of the computer is quite embarassing.
Does anybody know a way to reset and restart the chips on the NICStar
ATM card by SW means without having to reboot the PC ?

Post by choprbo » Sat, 04 May 2002 16:24:59

> I use a quite big PC with RedHat-7.1, Kernel version 2.4.2. This PC
> features 13 PCI slots, 8 of them are equipped with "Integrated Device
> Tech IDT77211 ATM Adapter" (NICStar). We use those 8 ATM ports with some
> CLIP network layer for testing purposes of network components.
> From time to time, one of the ATM cards seems to hang in such a way,
> that it is not able to send or receive or both data from the ATM
> interface. All physical connections are okay. When I shutdown, switch
> off and then on the computer, then the problem disappears. I presume
> some chip on the ATM card runs into some dead-end state. AS a matter of
> fact, reboot of the computer is quite embarassing.
> Does anybody know a way to reset and restart the chips on the NICStar
> ATM card by SW means without having to reboot the PC ?

Well, you could just take down the interface, then remove the module
driver, insmod it back, and ifup the interfaces again. I proper script
(probably with a couple quick sleeps and good error checking), ought to
be able to easily do this within 10-15 seconds. Of course, all the other
interfaces would go down simultaniously.

Check your logs and "dmesg" when the card locks up to see if it's
something driver related. If you can get conditions to reproduce it
reliably, recompile the driver with full debugging and log the results
so you can identify the bug. Even if it is the card and not a driver
problem, you might be able to patch around it.

Adrian

1. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

JobConnectEurope and The Contractor's Club are now online... Thousands
of Jobs, Both Contract and Permanent for IT Professionals. Don't miss
that Job, Career Move or Contract, register with us now and receive our
latest jobs straight to your mail box.

Register with us now... Its easy, simply go to our site at
Http://www.jobconnecteurope.com/ and fill out the Registration Form.
Once registered you will receive jobs which match your requirements via
email direct to your mail box.  You can amend your details at any time,
you can also mark yourself unavailable from which point you will not
receive any further email until you pop back on line and amend your
status to available.  Its Easy, its simple, its immediate.... Unlike
other job sites we do not sell CV's, you stipulate how you wish to be
contacted. Join us now...

Our Discussion Forum and Virtual Chat areas in The Contractors Club will
be available shortley, for you to discuss issues with other like minded
people. Don't miss it.

See you on-line

Thanks for your time..

Trevor

2. Serial mouse device name in Solx86

3. Compile errors during making modules for a ATM Nicstar 77211Card

4. PCI Ethernet (BOCA AMD LANCE) not detected

5. nicstar ATM bug patch

6. (newbie) problems configuring Enlightenment

7. [ATM] nicstar doesnt count all dropped pdus (and powerpc fixup)

8. Merging Advfs domains

9. [ATM] cleanup nicstar, suni and idt77105

10. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup

11. Can't make Linux see a BOCA On-Line Express internal modem

12. On-line Users' Guide