Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Hitendra Pate » Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:50:42

Hi

I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
available to a number of linux box. Very similar to NFS but never tried it
with cdwriter. All machines are installed with RH7.3.

How can I do this.

Any help appreciated.

Hiten

Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Davide Bianch » Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:01:40

Quote:> I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
> available to a number of linux box.

SSH into the machine and use cdrecord directly on the machine.
Davide

--
| When I first started working with sendmail, I was convinced that the
| cf file had been created by someone bashing their head on the
| keyboard. After a week, I realised this was, indeed, almost certainly
| the case --Unknown

Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Hitendra Pate » Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:24:34

Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
machine that has the cdwriter.

Hiten

> > I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
> > available to a number of linux box.

> SSH into the machine and use cdrecord directly on the machine.
> Davide

> --
> | When I first started working with sendmail, I was convinced that the
> | cf file had been created by someone bashing their head on the
> | keyboard. After a week, I realised this was, indeed, almost certainly
> | the case --Unknown

Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Davide Bianch » Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:37:33

Quote:> Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
> machine that has the cdwriter.

I understood you right the first time. In order to write on the CD
the system have to directly send command to the SCSI subsystem, this
can't be done by remote and shouldn't be done (you don't know what's
going on on the remote machine), so, you copy your data onto the machine
or better yet make an ISO image on your own machine and then
transfer the ISO image over the network to the remote machine, then
SSH into the machine and use cdrecord to burn the image directly.

Davide

--
| If you tell them, they never listen.  If they listen, they never
| learn. If they learn, they never remember.  If they remember, they
| never obey. -- Markus

Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Ben Measure » Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:33:48

> Hi

> I have a machine with a cdwriter. Is it possible to make this cdwriter
> available to a number of linux box. Very similar to NFS but never tried it
> with cdwriter. All machines are installed with RH7.3.

> How can I do this.

> Any help appreciated.

> Hiten

There are a few applications/network daemons out there that let you do
that. I have not used any of them, however,
http://joerghaeger.de/webCDwriter/ seems to be well maintained.

--
Ben M.

----------------
What are Software Patents for?

What do Software Patents do?
big legal departments as they:
        years of harassment).

before its too late.

----------------

Remotely mount CDWRITER

Post by Juergen Pfan » Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:51:34

> > Sorry my mistake.. copying files/directories etc from a linux box to a
> > machine that has the cdwriter.

> I understood you right the first time. In order to write on the CD
> the system have to directly send command to the SCSI subsystem, this
> can't be done by remote and shouldn't be done (you don't know what's
> going on on the remote machine), so, you copy your data onto the machine
> or better yet make an ISO image on your own machine and then
> transfer the ISO image over the network to the remote machine, then
> SSH into the machine and use cdrecord to burn the image directly.

Well, it _can_ be done, using recent cdrtools/cdrecord versions'
"rscsi" (Remote SCSI, obviously) facility.

man cdrecord.

And, as rscsi is as highly portable as the whole cdrtools package,
this is even possible between differing OSes on either end of the
LAN connection, even (yes...) the Win32 family.
This does work fine for me; I even have been able to use 3 cdrecord
instances to 3 cd-burners simultaneously (2 local, 1 remote.) ;-)).

The security aspects of this approach are another story, obviously,
- some of which are indeed discussed in the cdrtools documentation.

Juergen

1. how to mount by amd the filesystem mounted via amd remotely?

Hello,

As I understand the point of my message is not bug but error in
configuration. What map configuration should I choose for amd mount of
NFS directories which should be mounted by amd on the NFS server?
In particular, do I use proper mount type, nfs?

Say, I would like to mount CD-ROM which physically resides on host HOST to
several hosts in the net via amd. To do that, I use the following map
which is shared by all hosts:

/defaults
fs:=${autodir}/${rhost.}/${key};rfs:=${autodir}/${rhost.}/${key}
cdrom         host==HOST;type:=cdfs;dev:=/dev/acd0c;opts:=ro \
              host!=HOST;rhost:=HOST;type:=nfs;opts:=ro

Everything works perfectly locally. But when I try to access this
directory from other host, say HOST1, I see two possible situations:
- if ${autodir}/${rhost.}/${key} has not been mounted locally on HOST
  before, amd mounts HOST:${autodir}/HOST/cdrom to
  HOST:${autodir}/HOST1/cdrom but does not mount CRD-ROM itself, and I
  get empty directory.
- if HOST:${autodir}/HOST/cdrom has been already mounted on HOST locally,
  amd on HOST1 returns 'Permission denied'.

Please cc: your reply to me.

Thank you,
Alex

3. cdwriter - detected, but can't mount.

4. Compaq Presario 1620

5. HP CDWriter+ 9200 (SCSI) - CDWriting is fine, cannot mount normal CD

6. !!!!!!!!!!! FREE INTERNET ACCESS !!!!!!!!!!!

7. shrink dos partition and mount remotely

8. Jumpstart problems with Solaris 8 07/01

9. mounting remotely

10. Question on exported/remotely mounted directories.

11. yes or no, Can I mount RAM remotely ?

12. biff & remotely mounted mail dirs

13. Mounting Log Files Remotely - Segmentation Fault