HP DAT drive (C1533A) configuration switches?

HP DAT drive (C1533A) configuration switches?

Post by Norbert E. Krem » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I am connecting an HP C15333A DAT drive to a linux box.
Does anyone know for sure how to set the "configuration" switches
on this drive for use with linux?   This is a row of 8 switches on
the underside of the drive, which control the hardware compression
and use of MRS tapes, etc.    One configuration works OK for "PC's"
including DOS/WIN, WINNT, Mac, and Netware.  For UNIX, there seems
to be a different combination of switch settings for every brand of
workstation.

Are the "PC" settings OK for linux?

Also, is any special kernel configuration required for linux?
I did this under SUNOS 4.1.3 once, and had to build a new kernel with
scsi paramaters for the HP tape drive built into the kernel.  I'm using
a pre-built kernel from a RedHat dist. and it has SCSI support enabled,
but do I need to do more for this DAT drive?  (The DAT does seem to
working OK, I can use tar and it writes to the tape, and then
tar tvf  gives me the list of files on the tape.)  I'm using Adaptec
1522  host adapter, if that matters.

Finally, any recommendations on backup software?  I have tried KBackup,
which *almost* works, but not quite (but maybe it's because afio is not
working correctly, don't know yet )   and I'm looking at Amanda
(although Amanda is clearly overkill for my 2 linux box network).
Are there any other (free) options?

Thanks to all,
--

1. HP C1533A DAT drive's configuration for Linux

Please help!  My Intel box, running Linux 1.3.20 with an Adaptec
AHA 1520, is having problem writing onto the HP C1533A DAT drive.
The kernel registers the following message when booting up

  aha152x: porttest: ok, auto configuration: ok, detection complete
  aha152x: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7,
  reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled
  scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.9 $
  scsi : 1 host.
    Vendor: HP        Model: C1533A            Rev: 9406
    Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape total.

The command "mt -f /dev/st0 rew" works OK.  However, whenever I write
onto the tape drive, like executing "tar cvf /dev/st0 /etc", it would
complain

  tar: can't open /dev/st0 : Read-only file system

I called HP and was told to change the eight dip switches on the
bottom of the drive.  Since HP does not support Linux, I asked him to
give me the Sun's configuration which is something like 1-5,8 ON and
6,7 OFF.  I tried this new configuration just now and received the
same problem.  Does anyone have a working HP C1533A DAT drive on
Linux?  I would greatly appreciate your giving the appropriate dip
switches' functions and setting.

Thanx much,

Dinh

2. Help..!! newbie question on installing UNIX under win95

3. Compression Switching DAT (HP C1533A)

4. Need help with KPPP problem

5. HP C1533A DDS-2 DAT drive on Linux

6. Problem starting Xwindows(hel)

7. Tape Drive Support: HP c1533A DDS-2 SCSI TAPE DRIVE

8. Apache with SSL: remove CACHE_SESSIONS

9. dump parameters for HP C1533A dat

10. HP DAT (C1533A) problems on Solaris 2.4

11. problem with HP DAT C1533A using linux

12. HP C1533A DAT works on Solaris 2.3 but not 2.4 ?

13. HP c1533A Dat on Solaris2.3