New To Linux OS, Need Help With Boot Setup......PLEASE HELP

New To Linux OS, Need Help With Boot Setup......PLEASE HELP

Post by Dr chad1 » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Ok i've got 3 seperate hard drive partitions and 1 extended shared partition
which i set up useing a program called Partition Magic by Powerquest
on one partition i've got Windows 95
on the second partition i've got the beta version of Windows 98
the extended partition i'm useing as a shared partition for transfering files
between
Win 95 and Win 98
and the third partition is about 200 MB and currently empty
and thats where i want to install Open Linux Lite Version 1.2

I have System Commander by V Communications Corp.
which i am useing as a boot manager to select an OS on BootUp
and it has been working fine with Win 95 and 98

i i started installing Linux in the empty 200 MB partition , during the install
it popped up with a message that it could not  install LILO on the partition i
was installing to because it was a UMSDOS something partition,... so after
reading some documentation form the System Commander book (which said that i
shouldn't need LILO) i selected the option to not install LILO so then it
continued installing and when it got done and it wanted to boot Linux for the
first time,. it couldn't and gave me some kind of error message about something
like the screen that was suppost pop up (i cant remember what it called itself)
coulden't because of something to do with the root directory
and then it froze my whole computer up
So i Rebooted and when system commander popped up i selected to boot from my
new linux partition
to see if it would work at all,.. and my computer just froze again right after
i selected it.
Since i couldn't access the Linux partition at all, i booted into windows 98 ,
ran partition magic and completely  formatted the linux partition.

So i'm Going to have to start all over again but since i know absolutely
nothing at all about Linux or how it operates, I dont know how  to do it right
so that it will work correctly and be Bootable from the System Commander menu.

Can Somebody Out Thare Please Help Me With This
Or Give Me Some Suggestions
Or Info

Or Repost Something On The Usenet

Thanks

-=~ Dr Chad ~=-
  ~  (Charlie) ~

New To Linux OS, Need Help With Boot Setup......PLEASE HELP

Post by E.W. Veltma » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Dr chad111 heeft geschreven in bericht

<  SNIP >

Quote:>i i started installing Linux in the empty 200 MB partition , during the
install
>it popped up with a message that it could not  install LILO on the
partition i
>was installing to because it was a UMSDOS something partition,... so after
>reading some documentation form the System Commander book (which said that
>shouldn't need LILO) i selected the option to not install LILO

Hello Charlie, the partition you want to install Linux on
probably is a MS-DOS / FAT partition. Linux can install on such a partition
using the UMSDOS file system, but for performance reasons you can better
use Linux'es own partition format, namely ext2.

I'm not familiar with Caldera's OpenLinux Lite distribution, but you will
have
to start Linux'es fdisk from the bootflops and change the partition system
id to ext2.
After that the partition has to be formatted, but I guess the installation
program
will do this for you ( after your approval ofcourse ;-) ).

When this is done you must install LILO onto the Linux
ext2 partition ( not onto the Master Boot Record ! ) and add
the partition to the bootmanagers menu.

I hope this helps. Good luck !

Best regards,

Eric Veltman