does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Post by Babol » Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:27:38

I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
(WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
are:

Rexon Technology Corp
input: 0.6A
output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

Thanks much!

Post by Andr » Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:47:40

: I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
: took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
: (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
: got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
: Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
: supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
: Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
: digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
: external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
: adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
: are:

: Rexon Technology Corp
: input: 0.6A
: output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

The voltages are consistent with what you would use for a hard drive -
it wants +5V and +12V.  I think you'll be fine with this supply, even
if it's not the right one, unless it wants more current than that.
(Doubt it.)

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
 ----> http://www.bizave.com  <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info

does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Post by Ian » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:31:15

Quote:> I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
> took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
> (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
> got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
> Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
> supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
> Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
> digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
> external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
> adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
> are:

> Rexon Technology Corp
> input: 0.6A
> output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

> Thanks much!

I have an Acomdata 160 GB external HD which actually uses a WD drive and its
adapter ("Dura Micro") puts out +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.8A. That's pretty close to
yours. Actually, of the zillions of adapters I have kicking around, it's the
only one with two output voltages and its type of plug. When an adapter
could be confused with another, I generally put a label on it.

Post by Lisa Horto » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:05:23

> I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
> took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
> (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
> got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
> Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
> supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
> Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
> digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
> external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
> adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
> are:

> Rexon Technology Corp
> input: 0.6A
> output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

> Thanks much!

Well I've got what sounds like the same drive. It uses a Rexon power
supply with the same voltages you listed.  Additionally, the Model of my
power supply is AC-005

Lisa

does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Post by ray » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:40:17

I sympathize, having recently moved 1000 miles - I now have a bundle of
about a dozen power adapters which I have no idea where they came from.
Fortunately, I have sorted out all of the computer stuff. It would help if
the packers would pack power adapters with the things they are attached
to.

Post by Dave » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:34:20

> : I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
> : took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
> : (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
> : got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
> : Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
> : supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
> : Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
> : digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
> : external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
> : adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
> : are:

> : Rexon Technology Corp
> : input: 0.6A
> : output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

> The voltages are consistent with what you would use for a hard drive -
> it wants +5V and +12V.  I think you'll be fine with this supply, even
> if it's not the right one, unless it wants more current than that.
> (Doubt it.)

I have three macs and a pc including all the perifials and cables that
go with them. Any power adapters that arean't labled, like ZIP, etc, get
labled as I plug them in for the first time. Over time, I've spray
painted most of the power cords, cables, wires, network cables, etc, to
as many diffent colors as I can. A phone line may be the same color as
one of the power cords or monitor cords, but visualy they are different
sizes/shapes.
Just an idea......from someone that likes to be organized. (Hope I don't
have to move!)......DaveC....

does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Post by Shadow_ » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:15:28

Quote:> I had a western digital exernal hard disk (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM,
> firewire and usb2.0 inteface.

> Rexon Technology Corp
> input: 0.6A
> output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

I have an 80G WD USB drive.  Aside from the 1,000,000,000 = gigabyte
thing.  And some questionable usb 1.1 support for either it or the current
kernels.  It does alright.  At least I can use it.  Although some files
just refuse to be copied to the drive and must be tar'd (and featured)
before being copied over.  Anyway the power supply for it looks a lot like
the one for my laptop and has the following info on it:

APD - Asian Power Devices Inc.
Model No. : DA-24B12 AC
AC Input : 100-240Vac 0.65A Max 47-63Hz
DC Output : 12Vdc === 2A
L.P.S. (limited Power Source)

(something german - Endast for kontorsmaskin)

For use with IEC 60950 products and indoor use only

Made in China

HTH,
Shadow_7

does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Post by Babol » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:24:01

Thank you all for your help! A special thanks to Lisa for positively
identifying the power supply. Lisa, mine also says AC-005 on it. I
plugged it in last night and the hard drive is working just fine! I'll
try to label all my adaptors from now on as the others suggested.
Thanks again to everyone!
-babolat