HP 850C Deskjet

Post by Ian Higg » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone had any experience of running this printer
on a Linux system ? .

Cheers Ian

--

/*  Horbury.Wfd.WY.UK      !  I'll see you on the next, and don't be late */

HP 850C Deskjet

Post by Michael Nels » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Has anyone had any experience of running this printer
>on a Linux system ? .

        No, but I just ordered an 855c, so I will be watching this thread
and will post my experiences after I get it and set it up.

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

HP 850C Deskjet

Post by Keith Ba » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>Has anyone had any experience of running this printer
>>on a Linux system ? .

>    No, but I just ordered an 855c, so I will be watching this thread
>and will post my experiences after I get it and set it up.

I have a new 855C, and it works great so far.  I run plain text through
the filter below, and I use cdj550 as the ghostscript device for PS files.
I have not tried printing color postscript yet, but the B&W stuff works
fine.  Do not run the ghostscript output through the filter, as it can
*it up.  (It took me a while to figure this out...one file I sent
through worked great, but another one from the same program was all hosed
up, as soon as I created a new printcap entry that didn't use the filter I
was all set.)

From the printing HOW-TO
cr_lf.filter:
--------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = -c ]; then
        cat
else
/       sed -e s/$/
fi
# the "echo -ne" assumes that /bin/sh is really bash
echo -ne \\f
 ___________________________________     _____

|___________________________________/                  _/____/0

HP 850C Deskjet

Post by Michael Nels » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a new 855C, and it works great so far.  I run plain text through
>the filter below, and I use cdj550 as the ghostscript device for PS files.
>I have not tried printing color postscript yet, but the B&W stuff works
>fine.  Do not run the ghostscript output through the filter, as it can
>screw it up.  (It took me a while to figure this out...one file I sent
>through worked great, but another one from the same program was all hosed
>up, as soon as I created a new printcap entry that didn't use the filter I
>was all set.)

        Thanks for the tips.  I can't wait for mine to arrive!

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

HP 850C Deskjet

Post by Keith Ba » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I have not tried printing color postscript yet...

I found a color postscript file, and it works great too!  Here is the
script I wrote for both B&W and Color Postscript files:

Could probably be more elegant, but who cares?

#!/bin/csh
# this script will use ghostscript to print a postscript file

#check for required arguments
if ($#argv == 0) then
        echo "Usage: $0 filename.ps ?filename.ps? ..."
        exit 1
endif

while ($#argv != 0)
        gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sOutputFile=/home/tmp/ps_out $1 << +
quit
+
        echo ""
        lpr -Pcolor /home/tmp/ps_out
        rm /home/tmp/ps_out
        shift
end
 ___________________________________     _____

|       COM-ASMEL-IA-A&IGI           \      \   \/_______\___\_____________
|   Westminster, Colorado, USA        }-----< /_/ .......................  `-.
| http://chinook.atd.ucar.edu/~barr  /       `-----------,----,--------------'
|___________________________________/                  _/____/0

1. HP Deskjet 850C driver avaiable for Linux ???

Hi,

We are planning to buy a HP DJ-850C and are there any driver avaiable or
in the making ? Please let me know. Will this driver use the full capabilities
of this printer or are there some disadvantages ?

Thanks!
Martin

--
_____________________________________________________________  /--i--\   . __

| University of Frankfurt am Main, Germany (computer science)     ||o - o|  |
|  "As to Gina winning her gamble...                              | /---\ \ |
|   that's a secret between her and me."   Fio, "Porco Rosso"     E/^ ^ ^\W |
`----------------------------------------------------------------  \m___m/ -'

2. Linux on Compaq Armada 6500

3. HP Deskjet 850C

4. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

5. HP DeskJet 850C program or spec.

6. dhcp and dns

7. printcap file for HP deskjet 850C

8. questions on linking with shared libraries

9. HP Deskjet 850C: ghostscript driver available?

10. HP Deskjet 850c

11. how to print PS in HP Deskjet 850C?

12. Printing from Win95 through SMB to a HP DeskJet 850C

13. Looking for Ghostscript (gs-3.33) driver for the new HP DeskJet 850c