SuSE file system help

Post by Clinto » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am a bit confused about the Linux file/drive system.  On my computer,
I have 2 hard drives, one 10GB and the other 2.5GB.  The 10 GB drive is
partitioned into an OS/2 Boot Manager partition, a 4GB OS/2 partion, and
4GB partition where Linux is, a Linux Swap partition, and another 1.6GB
or there'bouts for Linux.  The only one I have setup for Linux to use is
the 4GB partion where Linux is and the swap partion of course.  YaST
reports /dev/hda1 as a 1.8 GB type 5 extended, /dev/hda2 as boot
manager, /dev/hda3 as my 4gb Linux drive, /dev/hda4 as my OS/2 drive,
/dev/hda5 as the Linux Swap, and /dev/hda6 as the 1.6GB Linux drive that
I'm not using yet.

So far, this makes sence, but when I look in the /dev directory, there's
hda1 through hda15, as well as hdb1 through 15 files (the 2nd hard drive
I suspect), all the way to hdh1 through 15.  What are all these extra
files?

SuSE file system help

Post by gus » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am a bit confused about the Linux file/drive system.  On my computer,
> I have 2 hard drives, one 10GB and the other 2.5GB.  The 10 GB drive is
> partitioned into an OS/2 Boot Manager partition, a 4GB OS/2 partion, and
> 4GB partition where Linux is, a Linux Swap partition, and another 1.6GB
> or there'bouts for Linux.  The only one I have setup for Linux to use is
> the 4GB partion where Linux is and the swap partion of course.  YaST
> reports /dev/hda1 as a 1.8 GB type 5 extended, /dev/hda2 as boot
> manager, /dev/hda3 as my 4gb Linux drive, /dev/hda4 as my OS/2 drive,
> /dev/hda5 as the Linux Swap, and /dev/hda6 as the 1.6GB Linux drive that
> I'm not using yet.

> So far, this makes sence, but when I look in the /dev directory, there's
> hda1 through hda15, as well as hdb1 through 15 files (the 2nd hard drive
> I suspect), all the way to hdh1 through 15.  What are all these extra
> files?

The /dev/* "files" are special files. They can be thought of as
"drivers". The bottom line is that what you are seeing is that you have
drivers for up to partition hda15 *if you had one* (and with a bit of
"mknod'ing" you could probably get more ...).

You will also see in the /dev/* list things like st0 which is SCSI tape
0, which most people don't have, and other things like ttyS15 which is
your 16th Serial Port .... or hdj1 which is the first partition of your
10th IDE hard disk ... ;-)

It is most unlikely that you will have to do any more than change
symbolic links (if ever) in the /dev directory. Any other changes are
most unlikely.

For your particular problem you will probably find "mount" more useful,
or "cat /etc/fstab", or perhaps even fdisk (use with caution).

gus

SuSE file system help

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>So far, this makes sence, but when I look in the /dev directory, there's
>hda1 through hda15, as well as hdb1 through 15 files (the 2nd hard drive
>I suspect), all the way to hdh1 through 15.  What are all these extra
>files?

/dev includes device files for all possible device types, not only
those that do already exist on your system. Just ignore them.

Michael

SuSE file system help

Post by Clinto » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the replies here and e-mails.  I think I got'er figured out
now..  /dev that is, not Linux.. ;)

--
Kill the MAI
http://www.canadianactionparty.ca/e/mai.html

Clinton Peebles  VE7KNL  DN19ie
Salmo, B.C. Canada

SuSE file system help

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am a bit confused about the Linux file/drive system.  On my
computer,
> I have 2 hard drives, one 10GB and the other 2.5GB.  The 10
GB drive is
> partitioned into an OS/2 Boot Manager partition, a 4GB OS/2
partion, and
> 4GB partition where Linux is, a Linux Swap partition, and
another 1.6GB
> or there'bouts for Linux.  The only one I have setup for
Linux to use is
> the 4GB partion where Linux is and the swap partion of
course.  YaST
> reports /dev/hda1 as a 1.8 GB type 5 extended, /dev/hda2 as
boot
> manager, /dev/hda3 as my 4gb Linux drive, /dev/hda4 as my
OS/2 drive,
> /dev/hda5 as the Linux Swap, and /dev/hda6 as the 1.6GB Linux
drive that
> I'm not using yet.

> So far, this makes sence, but when I look in the /dev
directory, there's
> hda1 through hda15, as well as hdb1 through 15 files (the 2nd
hard drive
> I suspect), all the way to hdh1 through 15.  What are all
these extra
> files?

These are drivers for as many as 15 partitions on the first
hard disk, 15 on the second, etc.  The drivers exist even
though the partitions may not.  If you try to use one of
the drivers for which a partition does not exist, you will
get an error.  But the devices are created whether you have
the actual hardware or not.
-Scott Sharkey
Linux Unlimited, LLC
http://www.linux-no-limits.com

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=8097&cus...

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. Telnet disconnects after period of time

3. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

4. If CTRL-Z, disconnect user

5. Suse Linux 7.3, file manager crashes system

6. Tape drive errors go away!

7. file system HELP HELP HELP

8. Where'd ifnet go?

9. AIX does not NFS mount a SuSE Linux exported file system

10. REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

11. /var file system <==> /usr file system

12. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

13. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?