help:installing linux from a zip drive.

Post by Ben » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i heard that you can install linux from a zip drive but you need to
reconfige the root and boot disks(i don't know which one... maybe both?).
could someone inform me of the details or point me in the direction of a
goot howto.  i've been to sunsite.unc.edu's ftp site but couldn't find
anything on the matter...
...thanx

Post by Robert Sto » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i heard that you can install linux from a zip drive but you need to
reconfige the root and boot disks(i don't know which one... maybe
both?).
could someone inform me of the details or point me in the direction of
a goot howto.  i've been to sunsite.unc.edu's ftp site but couldn't
find anything on the matter...
...thanx

Hi b,

You were at the right place (sunsite) but you didn't dig deep enough.
In the howto directory there is a subdir called mini.  mini-HOWTO's!
There are 3 files on ZIP drives, one of which has what you need.  One
of the distributions has a root disk containing the ppa driver which
is what you want,  but someone else will have to help you out there.
I seem to recall something about Slackware and iomega.i or was it
Redhat.

Bob S.

Post by Alex Tayl » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> i heard that you can install linux from a zip drive but you need to
> reconfige the root and boot disks(i don't know which one... maybe
> both?).

> You were at the right place (sunsite) but you didn't dig deep enough.
> In the howto directory there is a subdir called mini.  mini-HOWTO's!
> There are 3 files on ZIP drives, one of which has what you need.  One
> of the distributions has a root disk containing the ppa driver which
> is what you want,  but someone else will have to help you out there.

Installing off a zip drive is very easy, at least if it's a SCSI
model (including the parallel port version).

Last time I installed, I did so off my external p-port zip drive.
If you're using Slackware (what I used), all you have to do is use the
"scsi-ppa.i" bootdisk instead of the "bare.i" (or whatever).

Do that and you'll be able to specify the zip drive as the partition to
install disksets from (generally /dev/sda4).

(You might have to boot with the Zip disk already in the drive, I don't
remember; but that's a trivial concern anyway.)

 Alex Taylor                    University of Guelph

| "If that's what you want, come chase after me,                |
|  That kiss is a red tattoo, a tattoo that engraves a prophecy |
|      of destiny."                                             |

1. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

Hi Linux friends,

I have a IDE ZIPdrive and want to use it under Linux
Currently I have Redhat 4.1 installed.

During start-up it finds my IDE zip at /dev/hdc (/dev/hdb
is my IDE cdrom), however any attempt to mount a disk or to access with
mtools failed. Mtools gives me a read error, with obscure messages like
hdc: packect command error: status=0x51 error=0x50.... (sigh)

Do I have to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. I read somewhere that it might work.
Does anybody has more experience with this matter and hence could
anybody give me some valuable advice, before I run to the store and buy
redhat 5.0 or get myself a scsi ZIP drive.

Thanx guys,

Hans Kramer

2. Linux and Windows networked together

3. help:installing linux from a zip drive

4. DHCP on Solaris 8

5. Help!Installing iomega zip drive to home pc/linux

6. hosts.deny / hosts.allow SunOS 4.1.4 ?

7. Help on installing USB Iomega Zip drive on Linux Mandrake 7.0

8. SCSI Failure!?

9. Installing Linux from Iomega Zip drive with copy of Linux off CD-ROM

10. *** Need help installing OpenBSD (Mac) 2.1 on a zip drive ***

11. Help with Zip Drive Install

12. Help: installing red hat 4.2 hard drive/zip problems

13. Need help installing Slackware from PP Zip drive