NIC problem

Post by rosa howel » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:40:39

Ok i skipped the USB problem by hooking my cable modem up into my spare NIC.
I also got my roomie to install red hat 7.1 on his machine, but it didn't
detect his 3com NIC. How do we get it to recognize it and use it?
I went to 3com's web site and downloaded the driver for it in case i need
it, it was a .tar file.
If i do need to install that driver, how do I do it?

After we get past that problem, how do i set it up so that he gets internet
from me?
And do i need to make him my DHCP client, or can we just use statics on the
network

NIC problem

Post by Robert C. Ciprian » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 04:14:18

You shouldn't need anything from 3Com.  cd to /usr/src/linux2.4.x and type
'make xconfig '(assuming you're in X ) to run the kernel config. utility.
The source code should be there with the default 7.1 installation.  You need
to compile 3c90x (my guess - is that what you have?) support as a module or
into the kernel itself.  check out www.linuxdoc.org and the Kernel
compilation HOWTO for more info.  3com cards are well supported and I don't
think you'll have any trouble.  Look for Network devices in the config
program, you'll find it. Here's what i do after saving and exiting, still in
/usr/src/linux2.4.x-x:

make dep
make clean
make bzlilo (creates a bootable bzipped kernel image and installs it using
settings in /etc/lilo.conf; make take a while!)
make modules
make modules_install
reboot

He can use a non routable static ip (10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x etc.) but
you'll need to do some kind of address translation so you can "share" your
assigned internet IP address.  If you get the card working and can ping back
and forth post a new question about "NAT/PAT" (it would be PAT, or Port
Address Translation, that you'd use, but it's sometimes erroneously called
NAT which is something similar).  I use OpenBSD for my firewall; it's a
little easier to setup for this sort of thing and is very secure.  The other
machines all gain access through a single dynamic address through use of
many TCP ports.  Good luck!

Quote:> Ok i skipped the USB problem by hooking my cable modem up into my spare
NIC.
> I also got my roomie to install red hat 7.1 on his machine, but it didn't
> detect his 3com NIC. How do we get it to recognize it and use it?
> I went to 3com's web site and downloaded the driver for it in case i need
> it, it was a .tar file.
> If i do need to install that driver, how do I do it?

> After we get past that problem, how do i set it up so that he gets
internet
> from me?
> And do i need to make him my DHCP client, or can we just use statics on
the
> network

1. docking station nic and pcmcia nic problems

I have a Micron Transport XPE with a docking station and built in NIC (AMD
PCNet).  Also have a PCMCIA Megahertz Ethernet/modem card.  The networking
for the docking station nic fails to start.  The pcmcia card works fine when
it is plugged in, which it usually is.  I've looked at several scripts to
see why the one nic won't start.  /etc/sysconfig/network checks
(/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia) to see if there is a pcmcia device (line
pcmcia=yes).  If it finds it, it skips the eth loop and never starts the
nic.  If I change the pcmcia script to be pcmcia=no, then the nic starts
and, of course, the pcmcia card doesn't.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a work around or fix?
I'd like to have both working.  My linux kernel is 2.0.33

2. Wild Stripping !? - Is it safe ?

3. ISA NIC Problems w/ multiple PCI/ISA NIC combination

4. How do I setup my printer HP-690C?

5. newbie NIC problem

6. solaris 8 install problem

7. NE2000 NIC problem

8. 2 * YyLpScnKt-Console on a machine without video card

9. Dual NIC Problem

10. Linux NIC problems

11. large mem + 2 NIC problem

12. sleep mode and NIC problem no response form the machine?

13. DFE-530 TX NIC problem