Sound problem related tot user vs. root

Post by Niel » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have RedHat 6.0 running and I'm having some problem running Unreal with
wine.
When I start as root "wine /<directorty's>/Unreal.exe" everything runs fine,
but when I run this command as user the sound will only work for less then a
second and then stops playing.
I installed Unreal as user, so the ownership of all files is set for the
user.
By comparing I found out that, when running as root, the music first start
with the background music and a second later with some background noises
like wind or some noisie torches. So it might have to do something with 2
sound sources not being able to be produced at the same time. But then again
why then is this just a problem when being a user and no problem at all
being root?

Any help would be appreciated

Niels Veltman

1. Sound problem related to root vs. user

[...]

2. maxtor hard drive format problem on solaris - max cylinder size?

3. cdrecord scanbus sg driver & root vs. user problem

4. FORTRAN compilator for Linux

5. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

6. Got Linux Slip Server Working with Warp (Finally)

7. RH8 - Problem w/non-root users starting root programs

8. fdisk and OnTrack Disk Manager

9. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

10. Problem Again !! (Sound Related) {^_^'}

11. root vs. user xwindows

12. Sound card problem related to Quake 2 (linuxRH71)

13. executing root vs. user