Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by JRosem » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I recently installed Linux and would like to be able to use my Supra 288i
PnP
modem.  The modem came with my computer which was basically set up for
Windows '95.  I've tried using setserial to automatically configure all my
com
ports, but when I try to use Seyon to dial out nothing happens.  I suspect
that
the modem is not being configured on start up, and therefore setserial
doesn't
find anything.  What do I need to do to make it work?  Since I'm a real
novice,
any explaination of how plug and play stuff works (or how modems work for
that
matter)  would be very useful.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Sanjiv Pat » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I recently installed Linux and would like to be able to use my Supra
288i
>PnP
>modem.  The modem came with my computer which was basically set up for
>Windows '95.  I've tried using setserial to automatically configure all
my
>com
>ports, but when I try to use Seyon to dial out nothing happens.  I
suspect
>that
>the modem is not being configured on start up, and therefore setserial
>doesn't
>find anything.  What do I need to do to make it work?  Since I'm a real
>novice,
>any explaination of how plug and play stuff works (or how modems work
for
>that
>matter)  would be very useful.

>Thanks for the help,

>Jason

Hi Jason,

I am also in the same boat. For the last two weeks, I am running Linux,
and I have been aggressively trying to set the communication going with
my Supra 288i SP. I am not sure if mine is a PnP type, as I purchased
the system from Micron without much care about the modem.

I have contacted infomagic (I use their Slackware version 3.0), but the
reply did not help anything. I have gone through HOWTOs on networking,
and ISP, but without any luck. I was totally novice to AT commands
before I started reading those. However, many places it has been
mentioned about some AT commands won't work with Supra modem,
particularly &C1 and &D1.

My first problem is that Linux would not recognize the modem on the port
where Windows95 report the modem to be. Even after using setserial
command to force recognition of the port, nothing works. I have just
contacted Supra, but their response can not be expected in less than 3
days. Moreover, the tragedy is that neither Micron nor Supra supplies
manual for the modem!!!

I hope there is somebody out there, knowledgeable about this area, who
can help us out.

Regards,

Sanjiv A. Patel
Have a Nice Day!!!!
Sanjiv A. Patel
Research Assistant
Mail Stop # 118 MSEL
The University of Michigan - Dearborn
4901 EVERGREEN RD
DEARBORN MI 48128-1491
Ph: (313) 593 - 5346
Fax:(313) 593 - 5386

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Howard Helbe » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>I recently installed Linux and would like to be able to use my Supra
>288i
>>PnP
>>modem.  The modem came with my computer which was basically set up for
>>Windows '95.  I've tried using setserial to automatically configure all

My solution has been to boot under DOS with the DOS Supra Legacy
PNP drivers loaded, and then do a warm boot and pick Linux from my
LILO menu.  Loadlin has also worked.

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Christopher A. Edmon » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I recently installed Linux and would like to be able to use my Supra 288i
: PnP
: modem.  The modem came with my computer which was basically set up for
: Windows '95.  I've tried using setserial to automatically configure all my
: com
: ports, but when I try to use Seyon to dial out nothing happens.  I suspect
: that
: the modem is not being configured on start up, and therefore setserial
: doesn't
: find anything.  What do I need to do to make it work?  Since I'm a real
: novice,
: any explaination of how plug and play stuff works (or how modems work for
: that
: matter)  would be very useful.
: Thanks for the help,
: Jason

I had this same problem with the same modem. I have to boot Win95 first so
that the modem gets configured, i.e. IRQs, etc., and then do a warm
start into Linux. There is probably a DOS PnP utility I could boot instead,
but I haven't really looked yet.

--
|--\/--| /-------/        || Christopher A. Edmonds - Dept of Electrical Eng
|      |/__   __/ M A X I || Florida International University, Miami, Florida

|_|  |_|   |__|           || WWW--->http://www.fiu.edu/~edmondsc/ |***SOCA***|

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Xuguang Sha » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : I recently installed Linux and would like to be able to use my Supra 288i
> : PnP
> : modem.  The modem came with my computer which was basically set up for
> : Windows '95.  I've tried using setserial to automatically configure all my
> : com
> : ports, but when I try to use Seyon to dial out nothing happens.

I used a different modem with the same problem. But I found the problem is that the Seyon (from
RedHat 3.03, I didn't check the version) dial menu has a bug. I can dial with DIP or even with
Seyon, but manually type in the Seyon terminal window 'ATDT xxxxxxx'. Please let me know if

Xuguang.

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Hanspeter Pfist » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

A couple of weeks back I had the same problem.
I hope this information will help.

Cheers,

        Hanspeter

How to setup a Supra 288i PnP modem
-----------------------------------

After Peter Fox, author of "isapnptools".
Thanks a lot, Peter!

1) Get "isapnptools-1.3" from the RedHat WWW page (check
   the PnP project link).
2) Run "pnpdump" and check the ouput. It will tell you
   what kind of interrupts and base addresses you are
   allowed to use.

Example:
[output trimmed]
------------------------
Trying port address 0203
Card 1: (serial identifier 6a 00 00 43 73 40 14 b0 4e)
SUP1440 Serial No 17267 [checksum 6a]
Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
ANSI string -->Supra 288i Sp Modem<--
Logical device id SUP1440
    Device support I/O range check register
    Compatible device id SUP1290
      Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
      Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
            Minimum IO base address 0x0200
            Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
            IO base alignment 8 bytes
            Number of IO addresses required: 8
      IRQ 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
            High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
    End dependent functions
End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)
------------------------
The above says it can go virtually anywhere, with any interrupt.

3) Look at the example isapnp.conf file and modify it to include
   the correct device identifiers.

Example (isapnp.conf):
------------------------
# LD n = Logical device, ie write to reg 7
# IO n = IO descriptor n
# BASE n = IO/Mem address
# INT n = Interrupt req n
# IRQ n = Interrupt level
# MODE = line levels etc
# ACT = Activate

#(debug)
#(IGNORECRC)
(READPORT 0x203)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(CONFIGURE SUP1440/17267 (LD 0 (IO 0 (BASE 0x2f8)) (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E))) (AC
T Y)))
(WAITFORKEY)
------------------------

4) This configures the device to be /dev/cua1 (COM2). Put the following
   in your rc.serial to tell the kernel the device exists now
   (assuming you put the isapnp.conf file in /etc):

Example (rc.serial):
------------------------
# Do wild interrupt detection
/bin/setserial -W /dev/cua*

# Configure PnP device
# Modem, Supra 288i SP
# COM2, irq 3, Address 0x2f8, UART NS16550AN
/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
/bin/setserial /dev/cua1 irq 3 skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi

# Display serial device configuration
/bin/setserial -bg /dev/cua*

# Configure hardware handshake for modem (COM2)
/bin/stty crtscts < /dev/cua1
------------------------
Type "source rc.serial" or reboot. Your modem should
be properly configured now.

5) Type "stty -a < /dev/cua1" and see if you get an output.
   You can also try "setserial /dev/cua1". If both work you
   are ready to roll!

6) Start minicom/seyon/kermit/etc. and try it out.
   Caution (from serial-HOWTO): The Supra modems treat DCD
   differently than other modems. Set &C0 and not &C1. Also
   set &D2 to handle DTR correctly.

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Jack Kah » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> days. Moreover, the tragedy is that neither Micron nor Supra supplies
> manual for the modem!!!

> I hope there is somebody out there, knowledgeable about this area, who
> can help us out.

Try turning the system BIOS PnP option OFF.  Then use setserial auto-IRQ
function.  This worked for me.

Jack

Supra 288i PnP modem

Post by Song Yan » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I tried isapnptools-1.7 from redhat ftp site.  It would not compile.
Also if this works, does it mean it will rewrite my BIOS that Win95 will
no longer work?

> [...]

> /bin/setserial -W /dev/cua*

> # Configure PnP device
> # Modem, Supra 288i SP
> # COM2, irq 3, Address 0x2f8, UART NS16550AN
> /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
> /bin/setserial /dev/cua1 irq 3 skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi

> # Display serial device configuration
> /bin/setserial -bg /dev/cua*

> # Configure hardware handshake for modem (COM2)
> /bin/stty crtscts < /dev/cua1
> ------------------------
> Type "source rc.serial" or reboot. Your modem should
> be properly configured now.

> 5) Type "stty -a < /dev/cua1" and see if you get an output.
>    You can also try "setserial /dev/cua1". If both work you
>    are ready to roll!

> 6) Start minicom/seyon/kermit/etc. and try it out.
>    Caution (from serial-HOWTO): The Supra modems treat DCD
>    differently than other modems. Set &C0 and not &C1. Also

1. anyone have success with a Supra 288i PnP modem?

Has any one had success in using a Supra 28.8 internal Plug and
Play modem with linux? I have a bad feeling that I shouldn't have
bought this because it won't work without a proprietary, MS
Windows-specific driver..

2. Anyone using nvi on Solaris 2.4?

3. Setting up Supra 288i PnP modem in Linux

4. Help: Changing IP address

5. Modem Problems - Supra 288i PNP

6. solaris 8 no more free ?

7. Modem: Using Supra 288i pnp with PPP

8. talk

9. Supra 288i PNP VoiceModem

10. Supra 288i PnP - Will this work under linux?

11. Help - Supra 288i Internal modem

12. Supra 288i modem on RH5.0?

13. Probelms with Supra 288i Sp Modem