NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH DIAMOND CARD...ANSWERS??

NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH DIAMOND CARD...ANSWERS??

Post by Velanche Lashawn Stewar » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I've been looking on the various Linux web pages, and I'm very frustrated
with configuring XWindows.

I can run XWindows, but the screen comes up in 320X300 mode. My monitor
(a Midwest Micro Elite) is capable of displaying up to 1600X1200 mode.
I'm housing a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with an S3/864C716 chip. I can't
get the right setup t display a higher resolution so as to not have such
a HUGE display (the taskbar, for instance, takes up about just a quarter
of the screen.

I can't find any documentation in regards to a proper setup, and I even
tried to do a manual monitor configuration. Still, it would not take and
the same screen is displayed.

What am I'm doing wrong?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
especially from those with either or both peripherals. If I need to toss
my Diamond card (with 2MB DRAM), what should I switch to?

Thanks in advance--please respond also via private e-mail.

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

    V   E   L   A   N   C   H   E               S   T   E   W   A   R   T
                   California Polytechnic State University
                         San Luis Obispo, California

                      http://www.calpoly.edu/~vstewart

Post by Henry Cros » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello:

> I've been looking on the various Linux web pages, and I'm very frustrated
> with configuring XWindows.

> I can run XWindows, but the screen comes up in 320X300 mode. My monitor
> (a Midwest Micro Elite) is capable of displaying up to 1600X1200 mode.
> I'm housing a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with an S3/864C716 chip. I can't
> get the right setup t display a higher resolution so as to not have such
> a HUGE display (the taskbar, for instance, takes up about just a quarter
> of the screen.

> I can't find any documentation in regards to a proper setup, and I even
> tried to do a manual monitor configuration. Still, it would not take and
> the same screen is displayed.

> What am I'm doing wrong?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
> especially from those with either or both peripherals. If I need to toss
> my Diamond card (with 2MB DRAM), what should I switch to?

> Thanks in advance--please respond also via private e-mail.

DS64 w/S3-864 is I believe a supported card. I run a DS64 w/S3-968 2MB.
Works great! You say you have X up but you don't say why you can't run

I've ever seen the S3 server run is 640x480. (I use 1024x768)
You are using the S3 server right?

Post your XF86Config file so we can pick thru it,
--
H.Cross

Work:     | OS/2 - Best DOS emulator in an armored OS
Play:     | DOS and it's graphical menu system. (Windows)
Learn:    | U of NIX (LINUX rocks!)

1. Apache answers to /localhost/, but not from anywhere else

Hi:

We've got several Apache servers running on RedHat 7.1 and Suse and
successfully, but I've got one with a strange problem. It's configured
with the following:

RedHat 7.1 with latest updates
Apache 1.3.22
Webmin 0.994 running on port 10000

httpd.conf:
Listen *:80
Listen *:443
#
# Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
# ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
#
Port 80
ServerName 10.10.1.244 (fixed IP of the machine)
order allow,deny
allow from all
AuthType Basic
<VirtualHost _default_:443>
... SSL stuff
</VirtualHost>

When accessing http://localhost/ from the console of the server, I get
the test page. The log file shows the access just fine. Whenever
attempting to access http://10.10.1.244/ from any other browser on the
network or the mapped http://x.x.x.x from outside the LAN, it doesn't
serve the page! I get the Webmin pages (port 10000) just fine.
Wassup???

David - CEO by day, sysadm by night

2. DNS fails; resolver still broken in 2.x?

3. DAT drives .. Not getting anywhere near capacity

4. dangerous sys-admins...

5. Linux Not Getting Anywhere

6. Setting up a remote printer

7. Not getting anywhere with Samba

8. Alera Quad Cruiser DVD writer

9. Help needed getting X-Windows started up with a 2MB VLB Diamond Stealth card ??

10. Getting XFRee86 two work with Diamond card

11. Summary of answers: does strcpy fail to return a "char *" anywhere?

12. pure-ftpd server and Linksys router...no answers anywhere

13. PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THESE FOR ME......CANT FIND ANYWHERE!