scsi zip problems

Post by <scyt.. » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Greetings!
I recently obtained a scsi zip drive and a buncha disks, so I went out
and bought one of those Zip Zoom cards (it was cheap) ...and to make a
long story short, I set it up (I think I did it right!), but alas, it
didn't work right.  So, two days later, I come to you guys for help.
this is what I get when I boot:
aha152x: processing commandline: ok
detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: L.27
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
sda : extended sense code = 3
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
Partition check:
 sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
10 00
extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table

From my understanding, the "READ CAPACITY failed" message happens when
there is no disk in the drive...but of course I have a disk in the drive.
If any of this information is in a FAQ or howto that I missed, please
point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

Cheers!
-Tim

scsi zip problems

Post by Alan Fit » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Greetings!
> I recently obtained a scsi zip drive and a buncha disks, so I went out
> and bought one of those Zip Zoom cards (it was cheap) ...and to make a
> long story short, I set it up (I think I did it right!), but alas, it
> didn't work right.  So, two days later, I come to you guys for help.
> this is what I get when I boot:
> aha152x: processing commandline: ok
> detected 1 controller(s)
> aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
> aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
> scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
> scsi : 1 host.
>   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: L.27
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
> scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
> sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
> sda : extended sense code = 3
> sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Partition check:
>  sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
> 10 00
> extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
>  unable to read partition table

> From my understanding, the "READ CAPACITY failed" message happens when
> there is no disk in the drive...but of course I have a disk in the drive.
> If any of this information is in a FAQ or howto that I missed, please
> point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

> Cheers!
> -Tim

Hallo Tim,
         there's a Jaz drive mini-HOWTO which mentions that the Jaz
drives are all setup with the partition on the disk being partition
number 4 /dev/sda4.

Perhaps you need to change which partition the system looks at?

regards,
      Alan

--
Alan Fitch

Only the facts have been changed to protect the innocent.

scsi zip problems

Post by Mark Godfr » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[SNIP]

Quote:>scsi : 1 host.
>  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: L.27
>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
>scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
>sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
>sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
>sda : extended sense code = 3
>sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.

Mine does this too...  So it's not really an error ;)
(mine works!)

Quote:>Partition check:
> sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
>10 00
>extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
>Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
>scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> unable to read partition table

        However,  mine DOESN'T do this.
        I suggest you may have a defective disk in the drive.

        Are you auto-mounting it at boot?

        I never actually do that, but mount them only when I need to.

Quote:>From my understanding, the "READ CAPACITY failed" message happens when
>there is no disk in the drive...but of course I have a disk in the drive.
>If any of this information is in a FAQ or howto that I missed, please
>point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

        I beleive the READ CAPACITY error comes from trying to gain
        the actual disk parameters....

        As I've already suggested,  it is possible you have a slightly
        flaky disk / unformatted disk...

        (mine are ext2fs / msdos,  and work okay..)

        Hope this helps,

        Mark.
Mark Godfrey BSc (Hons),            |  Work : +44 (0)1733 765005
Systems and Network Administrator   |
* Ware Ltd.                     |

1. Sudden SCSI Zip Problem w/ RH 7

I'm running a home-brew PC with an Adaptec 2940U SCSI adapter (PCI) with a
couple of drives and CDROM on the internal chain, and a single SCSI Zip drive
on the external chain.

This arrangement worked **fine** on Redhat 5.2, RedHat 6.0, and RedHat 6.2,
which was the last OS I had installed.

Recently, I decided to take the plunge and try out RedHat 7...
I backed up all my precious data to a pile of freshly-formatted FAT32 Zip disks
on my then-6.2 system, erased and re-partitioned my fixed hard drives and
did the install.

Everything with this system seems to work w/o a hitch, EXCEPT that now, at
boot time, I'm getting SCSI I/O errors with the Zip drive (device sdc4).

Here's what I see in the system log:

SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 28000002
Info fld=0x30000, Current sd08:21: sense key Illegal Request
Additional sense indicates Logical block address out of range
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 2
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 28000002
Info fld=0x30000, Current sd08:22: sense key Illegal Request
Additional sense indicates Logical block address out of range
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:22, sector 2
[...]

I can mount Zip disks without Linux complaining. However, when I try to
restore my files off a Zip disk, I get I/O errors:

# cp /mnt/zip/misc_mp3.tar /tmp/restore/
cp: reading `/mnt/zip/misc_mp3.tar': Input/output error

I'm hoping that something simply broke in the aic7xxx driver and
that there's an easy way to fix it. Unfortunately, I don't have access
to a Zip-enabled Winbox to test this theory.

PLEASE, Please, please tell me there's a way to get this to work that
doesn't involve byte-editing!!!!

Many thanks in advance...

2. Problems booting from IDE using lilo

3. SCSI ZIP problems once again ...

4. PCNFS and NIS+, does it work together?

5. SCSI Zip drive w/ Zip zoom scsi adapter problems...

6. Bulk Insert

7. SCSI problems Iomega Adaptec 152x SCSI Zip drive

8. Copying fast without exploiting password

9. Adaptec SCSI and a Iomega SCSI Zip install problem

10. SCSI Zip without Zip Zoom

11. Zip Zoom & SCSI Zip Drive

12. Iomega SCSI Zip drive and Zip Zoom card

13. ZIP 100 Plus and ZIP ZOOM SCSI (aha152x.o)