Need compatibility information for recent printers (couldn't find in the obvious places)

Need compatibility information for recent printers (couldn't find in the obvious places)

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:48:07

I am seeking to get a good quality but cheap inkjet printer, and would like to
be able to jump in any direction with respect to Linux and/or FreeBSD/NetBSD/
OpenBSD.  I have recommendations from family members in favor of an Epson C80,
but they use it on a Mac, so I need some compatibility information from people
on these newsgroups.

Does anyone know if Linux or *BSD have support for the new Epson C??-series
inkjet printers?  They are NOT in the Linux Hardware Database printer page
(http://lhd.datapower.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=10), the Linux Hardware
pages (severall places on http://www.linuxhardware.net/ and links therefrom),
LinuxMall (http://www.linuxmall.com), or the FreeBSD 4.4 Hardware Notes
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.4R/hardware.html) or the FreeBSD Handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html).  For
that matter, the latter two do not seem to list any printers at all -- does a
different page have this information for FreeBSD?  Finally, I haven't got a
clue as to where on http://www.openbsd.org/ or http://www.netbsd.org/ (*) to
search for a hardware compatibility list (nothing is immediately obvious).

(*) Also went to the NetBSD site thinking that the somewhat different
organization of the web site would enable me to find printer compatibility
information.

I would, of course, be willing to listen to recommendations for some other
model of printer that would provide the same or better functionality at close
to the same price while being more compatible with free open source operating
systems.  I haven't yet finished searching for compatibility information for
recent models of printers made by other manufacturers, but would still welcome
any free software operating system compatibility information.

(I am temporarily stuck with Windows NT 4.0 due to file format compatibility
reasons, but expect to be able to finish extricating myself from this problem
in a handful of months.  Windows NT 4.0 compatibility of the printer would be
very nice but is not absolutely essential.)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

Need compatibility information for recent printers (couldn't find in the obvious places)

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:55:32

Some of the HP inkjets work really very nicely with Linux and FreeBSD.
Use the hpijs driver for postscript.  This is code written by HP.  It is
part of the recent upgrade of the ghostscript ports on FreeBSD.  Install
the port, and look at the documentation that is installed, to see which
inkjets work with it.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Post by Nathan Mat » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:11:59

>I am seeking to get a good quality but cheap inkjet printer, and
>would like to be able to jump in any direction with respect to Linux
>and/or FreeBSD/NetBSD/ OpenBSD.  I have recommendations from family
>members in favor of an Epson C80, but they use it on a Mac, so I
>need some compatibility information from people on these newsgroups.

   Take a look at http://www.apsfilter.org/ - it supports a whole lot
of printers thru a frontend to ghostscript. I know it's in the FreeBSD
ports collection, and probably OpenBSD as well. It compiles and runs
under Linux, though some distributions may try and prepackage it for
you.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com/

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:00:14

>    Take a look at http://www.apsfilter.org/ - it supports a whole lot
> of printers thru a frontend to ghostscript. I know it's in the FreeBSD
> ports collection, and probably OpenBSD as well. It compiles and runs
> under Linux, though some distributions may try and prepackage it for
> you.

apsfilter does not compile anywhere; it is a script which is intended
to run under the Bourne shell on FreeBSD.  To use it on OpenBSD you
must change the shebang to #!/usr/local/bin/bash.  Which also means
that you need to install bash.  You also need to install a2ps and
psutils along with ghostscript.

But apsfilter will not drive the printer unless a ghostscript driver is
available for that particular printer.  No driver, no print job.

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:40:13

>>    Take a look at http://www.apsfilter.org/ - it supports a whole lot
>> of printers thru a frontend to ghostscript. I know it's in the FreeBSD
>> ports collection, and probably OpenBSD as well. It compiles and runs
>> under Linux, though some distributions may try and prepackage it for
>> you.

>apsfilter does not compile anywhere; it is a script which is intended
>to run under the Bourne shell on FreeBSD.  To use it on OpenBSD you
>must change the shebang to #!/usr/local/bin/bash.  Which also means
>that you need to install bash.  You also need to install a2ps and
>psutils along with ghostscript.

>But apsfilter will not drive the printer unless a ghostscript driver is
>available for that particular printer.  No driver, no print job.

        For printer support, http://www.apsfilter.org (ACKPH!  Why couldn't
I recognize that in my pile of URL's BEFORE I posted?) directed me to the
GhostScript pages, which have http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/printer.htm
for printer support.  The list seems rather small and old, though.

        For printer support under Linux, I stumbled upon a larger hardware
compatibility list at http://www.linuxprinting.org/ (wish the *BSD's had a
hardware compatibility list site like this), and then found that again I had
it buried in a pile of URL's.  (Of course again I didn't notice until AFTER I
posted -- Dain bramage again!  I really need to organize my pile of URL's
better.)  They even have some of the currently manufactured models of printers
listed, and from this listing I notice that apparently, if a model of cheap
printer (which won't have PostScript or PCLx) is still being manufactured, it
most likely isn't fully supported by free software.  :-(  Looks like I better
try to scarf a previous-generation printer to guarantee software support.  :-(

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

1. Need compatibility information for recent CD-R/RW drives (couldn't find in the obvious places)

I would like to get a good quality CD-R/RW drive with anti-coaster technology
(Burn-Proof or the more-or-less equivalent, depending upon the manufacturer),
and would like to be able to jump in any direction with respect to Linux
and/or FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD.  None of the 16X, 20X, or 24X drives (and only
2 of the 12X units that seem to have anything like Burn-Proof at all) are on
any of the 3 hardware compatibility lists for cdrecord:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...
and
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...
and
http://wt.xpilot.org/cgi-bin/winni/lsc.pl

Thus, I need compatibility information from the people on these newsgroups.

(I am temporarily stuck with Windows NT 4.0 due to file format compatibility
reasons, but expect to be able to finish extricating myself from this problem
in a handful of months.  Windows NT 4.0 compatibility of the drive would be
very nice but is not absolutely essential.)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

2. Obtaining Dynamic IP Address

3. sshd reports ``couldn't find display information''

4. Using Linux to route IP packets over Macintosh LocalTalk net

5. Help: "Couldn't find per display information"

6. /dev/console respawning too rapidly (Install of AIX3.2.1.)

7. AN OBVIOUS TROLL --> *** OBVIOUS CROSSPOST TROLL *** <--- AN OBVIOUS TROLL

8. Digital's Titanic Page No Mention of Linux !!!

9. insmod: 'couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for'

10. Need Most RECENT Hardware Compatibility List

11. Is there a more recent compatibility FAQ-I need help!!

12. Need to find info on the 'FIND' command

13. Obvious information?