simms: parity/non-parity?

Post by Russell McMan » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

i am trying to add an 8meg simm to my 486dx2 motherboard.
(x is pretty slow with only 8meg).
when i called up a couple places in computer shopper, they
wanted to know if the simms on the board are parity or
non-parity.  my motherboard documentation never mentions
anything about parity.

how can i tell if i need simms with parity or without?

thanks in advance,

-russ
--

simms: parity/non-parity?

Post by Stas » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: i am trying to add an 8meg simm to my 486dx2 motherboard.
: (x is pretty slow with only 8meg).
: when i called up a couple places in computer shopper, they
: wanted to know if the simms on the board are parity or
: non-parity.  my motherboard documentation never mentions
: anything about parity.

: how can i tell if i need simms with parity or without?

Parity checking is enabled in your CMOS settings. Most
all of the 486 motherboards can support it if you have
it (you should).

However, the Intel Triton chipset does not do parity
checking.

Edward

simms: parity/non-parity?

Post by Sergio River » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: i am trying to add an 8meg simm to my 486dx2 motherboard.
: (x is pretty slow with only 8meg).
: when i called up a couple places in computer shopper, they
: wanted to know if the simms on the board are parity or
: non-parity.  my motherboard documentation never mentions
: anything about parity.

: how can i tell if i need simms with parity or without?

: thanks in advance,

: -russ
: --

        Most PC's use memory with parity, however the parity check can be
disabled from the cmos setting and memory without parity will also work.
        If you have a brand name computer you probably have memory with parity
is you bought your computer from an honest dealer you probably have memory
with parity, however there are some computer dealers that sell PC's with
memory without parity to save money, when this is the case they don't specify
the type of memory that comes with the PC, memory without parity is 10% to
15% cheaper.

        When memory has parity and is the 72 pin type, it has 36 bits, 32 data and
4 for the parity, usually this means you have 2 different types of memory chips.

        If you have a PC you should use memory with parity.

Sergio

simms: parity/non-parity?

Post by Bryan M Armstro » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>    If you have a brand name computer you probably have memory with parity
>is you bought your computer from an honest dealer you probably have memory
>with parity, however there are some computer dealers that sell PC's with
>memory without parity to save money, when this is the case they don't specify
>the type of memory that comes with the PC, memory without parity is 10% to

Well here are some brand names that don't use parity.
Packard Bell
Dell
IBM
Compaq
Gateway 2000

All but Compaq and IBM buy their boards from Intel, and you
know what that means -- Triton (no parity support)  Compaq and IBM
had to follow the trend in using non parity memory in consumer
machines.

Quote:>    If you have a PC you should use memory with parity.

>Sergio

Agreed, but you have to buy a high end Compaq or IBM to get
it.

--
Bryan Armstrong

homepage: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~bma7200

1. MB accepts parity or non-parity SIMMs, which to choose?

The main board I would like to buy (ASUS PCI/I-P54SP4 or -P54NP4)
is said to support either SIMMs with parity chips or those without
parity chips.  Is there any advantage in using SIMMs with parity
chips on such a main board?  If I buy SIMMs with parity chips,
I will be able to use them on main boards which only accept
parity SIMMs in case there will be such a need in the future.
However, will these parity chips be useful at all when installed
to the ASUS main board I am going to buy?

I am trying to put together a linux system with possibly 32MB of
RAM for doing numerical calculations.  If these parity chips help
to detect certain hadrware failures which may eventually occur,
then it may be worthwhile to pay more to get SIMMs with these
chips.  I would like to learn more about this.

I appreciate it if someone will provide some comments.

Cheng Pan

2. newbie dowloading netscape

3. parity vs. non-parity memory ???

4. Apache 1.1.3 infinite loops on Solaris 2.5.1

5. Parity vs Non-Parity RAM

6. Sparc 10 freezes

7. RAM-parity vs non-parity

8. Buffer cache patch