Exabyte problems under 1.3.77

Post by Robert S. Mai » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm having serious problems with the Exabyte 8205 I've tried to connect to
my SCSI bus, through my Adaptec AHA-1522A adapter card.  I'm running
1.3.77.

I can write short files to tape, and read them.  `Short' means less than
100 megabytes or so.  If I try to use `tar' to back up an entire
filesystem, the Exabyte runs all right for a while.  Then suddenly it
stops, and my Linux system freezes.  The middle (orange) LED on the Exabyte
stays on permanently, indicating perpetual SCSI activity.

I imagine that the AHA-152x driver in 1.3.77 is caught in a tight loop of
some kind; the only fix is to reboot.  It's not clear to me though whether
the problem is in the Exabyte or the AHA-152x driver code.  I tried
connecting a replacement Exabyte 8205, and exactly the same thing happened.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any suggestions for fixing the
problem?  Thanks in advance.

--Robert

--

Dept. of Math.    |
Univ. of Arizona  |

1. pppd and 1.3.77 problem

Hi,

I've just complied kernel 1.3.77 because I wanted Win95 VFAT support. It
complied ok and everything fine until I tried using pppd. When I run it,
it says 'PPP not available on this system'.

I went back to 'make install' to check that I had included networking,
tcpip and ppp support. It's definetely all there.

If I go back to my normal kernel 1.2.13, (ELF and AHA2940 patched) it
works fine.

What's going on??

Is there an earlier kernel version which still supports VFAT that I
should be using?

Also, the iBCS module wouldn't load saying it needed to be recomplied to
work with the new kernel. How to I recompile it. Where is it's source?

By the way, my system is based on the Slakeware 3.0 release.

Cheers

Simon Bond

(If you reply to this message, please could you email me - This isn't my
sig, it's a request)

2. Help: Microsoft VPN (PPTP) thru NATD

3. Kernel Change Summary 1.3.77

4. Olicom Ethernet

5. VFAT and win95 using 1.3.77

6. Gateway Communications INC - ASSY 82500-191-00

7. top & 1.3.77, 1.3.74

8. Upgrading from Libc6 to Glibc.

9. Need a new arp program for 1.3.77?

10. iBCS for 1.3.77

11. 1.3.77 with Future Domain kernel needed !

12. modems get locked up with linux 1.3.77 and mgetty0.99

13. Help with 1.3.77.