What does this mean: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

What does this mean: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

Post by Steve Snyd » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

When my Redhat v5.1 system is booting, I get the following error displayed
immediately after my 3C905 (not 3C905B) Ethernet card is initialized:

        SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

The IRQ and base I/O addreses displayed during the init are valid (that is
the same params used by Win95 and OS/2).  My /etc/conf.modules has:

        alias etho 3c589

Note that *no* arguments are defined.  So where is the error coming from?

Thanks.

***** Steve Snyder *****

What does this mean: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

Post by Filip M. Gieszczykiewi » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>When my Redhat v5.1 system is booting, I get the following error displayed
>immediately after my 3C905 (not 3C905B) Ethernet card is initialized:
>        SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
>The IRQ and base I/O addreses displayed during the init are valid (that is
>the same params used by Win95 and OS/2).  My /etc/conf.modules has:
>        alias etho 3c589
>Note that *no* arguments are defined.  So where is the error coming from?

When I get something like that, I grep the /usr/include/*/*.h tree for it:

/usr/include/linux/route.h
        /* This structure gets passed by the SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT calls. */
/usr/include/linux/sockios.h
        #define SIOCADDRT       0x890B          /* add routing table entry      */

Check the script that sets up the routing, would be my educated guess :-)

(I'm lacking in linux networking)
--
Filip "I'll buy a vowel" Gieszczykiewicz | http://www.repairfaq.org/~filipg/

                   Always and everything for the better!
 Now exploring whatever, life, and the meaning of it all... and 'not' :-)

1. What does "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument" mean?

Hi,

I have a tiny Internet Cafe with one Linux with Redhat 5.1 as the
Gateway/Intranet Server connected with a crossover ethernet cable to a
Windows95 machine. I use diald to connect.

Things generally works great - but when I eventually reboot the Linux
machine, the network seems to shut down and the only way to get it back up
again is to keep running the "ifdown eth0, ifup eth0" scripts until the
Linux machine appear in the "Net Hood" on the Windows Machine. Once there,
the net will be up for as long as the Linux box is running - had it going
for weeks.

When the "ifup eth0" script runs I get the "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument"
message - which gives me the feeling that something is wrong ;-)

But *what* ?

Could someone give me a hint please.

Thanks,
Frithiof Jensen.

Oh - one more thing - how should I configure the serial port to get my
WiseCom K56 Flex modem to *do* 56K?
(I get tranfer rates of about 3-5K/sec, which should be about 36k - better
than my old 28k modem but not quite).

2. FIPS anyone?

3. route add ==> SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

4. linux and iomega DITTO tapes

5. SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument...

6. Settings for ATT Broadband

7. HELP: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

8. HELP : malloc and realloc

9. SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument

10. SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

11. SIOCADDRT: invalid argument

12. Getting "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument" with 'route add' ...?

13. SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument