problem with Matrox Mill. II & vortex 3c905 cards coexistance?

problem with Matrox Mill. II & vortex 3c905 cards coexistance?

Post by Dima Pasechni » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00



A trouble with new PCI devices?!

Upgraded  from 2.0.33 to 2.0.35 kernel
(seemed necessary as I kept getting system crashes on network transfers)
cannot run my X-windows any more.
I am at total loss to find where the problem is.

System configuration:
Pentium II at 233 Mhz,
IDE disk and CD,
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang
video card: Matrox Millenium II

--------------------------
When running 2.0.33, I was getting

Quote:>Probing PCI hardware.
>Warning : Unknown PCI device (8086:7180).  Please read include/linux/pci.h
>Warning : Unknown PCI device (8086:7181).  Please read include/linux/pci.h

at boottime,

and crashes (total freeze of the system: dead kbd etc) when
downloading/uploading (big) things via ethernet
(if there was a message, it was something like:
   Kernel panic : skput: over 0018d28c:566
   In swapper task - not synching

However, X was working (the usual recent XFree86 SVGA driver).

------------------------------
I decided that the problem was in the network driver;
So I upgraded to 2.0.35.
The PCI boot warning has disappeared.

But with the new kernel X would not start any more (!).
In fact, I can boot either old kernel, or the new one;
so I did not damage anything in X installation; it still runs with the
old kernel.

How is this possible?

Many thanks in advance for comments, suggestions, fixes.

Dmitrii Pasechnik
d.pasechnik at twi dot tudelft dot nl

 
 
 

problem with Matrox Mill. II & vortex 3c905 cards coexistance?

Post by rens » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> A trouble with new PCI devices?!

> Upgraded  from 2.0.33 to 2.0.35 kernel
> (seemed necessary as I kept getting system crashes on network transfers)
> cannot run my X-windows any more.
> I am at total loss to find where the problem is.

> System configuration:
> Pentium II at 233 Mhz,
> IDE disk and CD,
> eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang
> video card: Matrox Millenium II

> --------------------------
> When running 2.0.33, I was getting
> >Probing PCI hardware.
> >Warning : Unknown PCI device (8086:7180).  Please read include/linux/pci.h
> >Warning : Unknown PCI device (8086:7181).  Please read include/linux/pci.h
> at boottime,

> and crashes (total freeze of the system: dead kbd etc) when
> downloading/uploading (big) things via ethernet
> (if there was a message, it was something like:
>    Kernel panic : skput: over 0018d28c:566
>    In swapper task - not synching

> However, X was working (the usual recent XFree86 SVGA driver).

> ------------------------------
> I decided that the problem was in the network driver;
> So I upgraded to 2.0.35.

Clean install ???
removed everything ?????? ( except your data of course .....)
you do not want to have old libs* around..............

Quote:> The PCI boot warning has disappeared.

that is because some people posted their identifiers to the
pci-maintainers....
My soundcard / videocard are not recognized either, because they did not
exist when my 2.0.30 was conceived.
They work fine, tough..........
Quote:

> But with the new kernel X would not start any more (!).
> In fact, I can boot either old kernel, or the new one;
> so I did not damage anything in X installation; it still runs with the

You did not damage the base install. it means nothing with X. X might
use shared memory transport, which could be a problem if you have older
libs* around.

Quote:> old kernel.

> How is this possible?

May be you Xfree is to old for your new kernel ?????

BTW, if you do read the
/usr/src/linux/include/pci.h
you can see why those messages are not a problem..........

Quote:> Many thanks in advance for comments, suggestions, fixes.

> Dmitrii Pasechnik
> d.pasechnik at twi dot tudelft dot nl

--
___________________________________________________________________
Have you noticed the way people's intelligence capabilities decline
sharply the minute they start waving guns around? -- Dr Who
Or when they get into their car ? -- Me

 
 
 

problem with Matrox Mill. II & vortex 3c905 cards coexistance?

Post by Dima Pasechni » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> > I decided that the problem was in the network driver;
> > So I upgraded to 2.0.35.
> Clean install ???
> removed everything ?????? ( except your data of course .....)
> you do not want to have old libs* around..............

that's a couple of days of work :(
Quote:

> > The PCI boot warning has disappeared.
> that is because some people posted their identifiers to the
> pci-maintainers....

yes, I did it myself, among others...
But something more interesting is happening with the vortex driver:
------------------ old driver -------------------------------------------
   eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xd000, 00:10:4b:43:67:db, IRQ 10
     8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/MII interface.
   eth0: MII transceiver found at address 24.  
     Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
   eth0: Overriding PCI latency timer (CFLT) setting of 32, new value is 248.
   3c59x.c:v0.46C 10/14/97 Donald Becker ...
---------------------------- new driver -----------------------------------
  eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xd000, 00:10:4b:43:67:db, IRQ 10
   8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay Autonegotiation interface.
   MII transceiver found at address 24, status 7869.
   Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
 3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder about that message from eth0 about latency timer
that doesn't appear now.

Quote:> BTW, if you do read the
> /usr/src/linux/include/pci.h
> you can see why those messages are not a problem..........

yes, I know - but I had real trouble with the old vortex driver...

Dmitrii

 
 
 

1. XF3.3.2 & Matrox Mill. II PCI problems

Hello,
    I'm running the XFree86 3.3.2 SVGA server with my 4MB Matrox
Millenium II, and I'm running into the following problem.  When moving
an xterm or emacs window, the right side of the window becomes
corrupted, as if the text had been folded back over the right edge of
the window.  This doesn't happen every time, and if I hide the window
and bring it back to the front, the corruption is gone.  I see similar
effects when viewing a man page.  I just seems like the window isn't
being cleared properly before drawing.

I'm generally running at 1280x1024x24bpp, but I happens at other depths
as well.

Any Ideas?  I've searched dejanews, but didn't turn anything up.

Fortunately, everything is usable, this is just an annoyance.

Thanks
Pete Harllee

2. F3

3. X With Matrox Mill II Video Card

4. error redirecting in C shell

5. 3C905 Network Card detected as a Vortex Network Card (3c59X series)

6. HW/SW Dealers & Manufacturers urgently wanted.

7. Motherboard video and Matrox Mill II - solved..

8. Want to create "task" in kernel

9. CyberVision monitor and Matrox Mill II AGP

10. Matrox Mill II fb?

11. Matrox Mill. II and X-window

12. Matrox Mill-II AGP and Metro-X

13. Matrox-Mill-II and Xfree86-3.3.1, only 8-bit