Need Ethernet card recommendations

Post by wamb » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
have an ethernet card yet.
The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
standard NE2000 compatible.
However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.

Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
?

Thanks for your replies.

Please send email to :

Thanks.

Post by m.. » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
> have an ethernet card yet.
> The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
> standard NE2000 compatible.
> However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
> the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.

> Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
> ?

> Thanks for your replies.

> Please send email to :

> Thanks.

Hello, wambo. I have been using 3Com 3c509b-TPO with Linux on a T1 connection
and had no trouble that is after I disabled PnP and then re-enabled it which I
will discuss shortly. After that I got cable modem service and had no trouble
there. Usually it's a matter of getting your ethernet card to work, not the
cable modem, T1 router, etc... refusing to recognize it under Linux. One word
of caution though. If your cable company gives you a PnP Ethernet Card, which
they more thatn likely will do, such as 3C509B-TPO, then what you want to do
is follow these steps:

1. In you desktop under Win9x, right click "My Computer" and then click
"Properties".
2. Go to "Device Manager" and locate your ethernet card (it should be not be
too hard to find).
3. Double click that device and go to resources.
4. Write down IRQ and Input/Output Range info of the card.
5. Now shut down to DOS and use the ethernet disk which most likely came with
your card and disable plug-n-play. Don't forget to assign the card the same
IRQ and I/O Range.
6. now boot to Linux and then configure your network card.

It should work. Let me know if you later need some more help.

Need Ethernet card recommendations

Post by Mike Werne » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Using an SVEC PN-1700T here.  It's a combo card - 10-baseT or 10-base2.
Also, it's got jumpers on it.  Set the jumpers, compiled my kernel with
NE2000 support, and it worked flawlessly.  Got it cheap from an online
auction, too.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

Post by Eugene E. Devereau » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,

> I am planning to install a cable modem connection in my house, and do not
> have an ethernet card yet.
> The connection will be of 4Mbps max. Therefore, i was planning to buy a
> standard NE2000 compatible.
> However, with all the w95 hardware we find these days, I want to make sure
> the card I buy is fully supported under Linux.

> Is the Etherlink III working fine under Linux ? Do you have any suggestions
> ?

> Thanks for your replies.

> Please send email to :

> Thanks.

I have a 3com905B running in my Linux RedHat 5.2 box connected to a Cisco 675
DSL Router and it works fine.

Cheers
Gene Devereaux