? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

Post by Derrick E Bouche » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello all,

        I have a generic P75 box with a single WD 850 Mb IDE drive
that will soon be converted from DOS 6.22/Win 3.11 to W95. Here is my
Linux question:

I want to get a second HD (perhaps a Seagate 850 Mb IDE) and install
Red Hat 4.1 on this disk. My goal is to have a Linux HD that W95 will
not even be aware of!!!! I want two totally separate file systems on
these separate disks.

The RH manual seems to be vague on this point, so I was wondering how
best to proceed, assuming that I am starting with a W95 machine and a
second HD, still in the box.

I've read some of the material in
 http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/ on multiple disks,
but this is TOO BROAD a document for my question.  (I don't WANT to
know all that stuff, which is more appropriate to multiple disk
servers, etc.)

Is it as simple as installing LILO and making a few settings?

Any help is appreciated, but if you post, could you email me as well?

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

Post by Alexandre Lebru » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hullo,
I'm pretty sure the question was off-topic, but nay...

Ok, you install linux on your second hard drive, and boot it up only
with a dikette or with loadlin (within Dos).
No risk at all for your MS systems, and I use it although I don't boot
up win95 anymore..

More information on the Linux+Win95(+...) mini Howtos.

? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

Post by chu.. » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello all,
>I want to get a second HD (perhaps a Seagate 850 Mb IDE) and install
>Red Hat 4.1 on this disk. My goal is to have a Linux HD that W95 will
>not even be aware of!!!! I

Derrick.
My system is currently configured with WIn95 as the main OS.
I installed Linux on a second drive. I boot to the WIn95 Dos prompt
mode, and use LILO from a Dos batch file. (My CD-ROM is a TEAC and I
need to boot to DOS before Linux to get everything working right.)

If you want to have Linux invisible to Win95, make sure you use a
Linux native disk format like e2fs (2nd extended file system) Win95
will not recognize it and should leave it alone.

TO be really sure ...
 If your CMOS allows you to specify from which drive to boot, you can
setup your second drive to boot independent of WIn95. The only
drawback is you have to monkey with your CMOS everytime you want to
boot Linux.

One last option,
If you want real convenience, reformat your drive and install System
Commander, it allows many Operating Systems to live in 'peace and
harmony' on your system - and allows you to select which system to
boot.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

Post by Mr. Thomas J. Dan » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

An easy way to do it is:

install linux on 2nd hd using linux-native fs.
make a bootfloppy with lilo and your kernel.
for w95 boot hd, for linux boot floppy

You can have lilo do a dual-boot--I haven't tried installing lilo on
the w95 disk yet but I know it works on w3x

? about W95 and Linux on 2 separate hard drives

Post by Geoff Winkles » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Mr. Thomas J. Danek wrote in article

Quote:>install linux on 2nd hd using linux-native fs.
>make a bootfloppy with lilo and your kernel.
>for w95 boot hd, for linux boot floppy
>You can have lilo do a dual-boot--I haven't tried installing lilo on
>the w95 disk yet but I know it works on w3x

I am booting three separate partitions - Win95 on hda4, linux on
hda1,2 & 3 and Dos6 on hdb1.

Lilo manages this perfectly happily, the only problem I had was
installing DOS onto the second drive -- in the end I just took out
hda, dos then installed fine. Interestingly enough, when I boot Win95
off lilo it uses hda4 as C: and hdb1 as D:, whereas when I boot DOS
off lilo it uses hdb1 as C: and hda4 as D:. Very weird :)

Geoff

1. Caldera Linux on Separate Hard Drive

Hello Linux Guru's
                              I am going to be trying to install Linux
(Caldera) on a separate drive (Probably a slave drive) and need some
lilo.conf information. I have tried installing Linux on separate drives
before with win95 and lilo wants to be in the mbr which blows my windows
install off, either that or I get just a "li" at boot time. I have tried
installing on the root superblock of the drive but then I couldn't get linux
to boot properly. This was all a year ago but I am ready to give it a second
go after much study.
           I know I should be able to let lilo install on the mbr and then
add commands to this file to get it give me a choice between win98 (thats
what I'm running now) and linux, but have no idea the commands to use or if
there is an easier way to do this. The company I work for is convinced Linux
is "just a fad" and I think they're incorrect in every way.
           Any info you could give would help. Please reply via my e-mail
below.

Thanks,

Art Armfield
Network Field Engineer

"The only people who don't crash computers are the ones that never work with
computers"

2. Q:rlogin problem

3. a quetsion about Installing redhat linux on a separate hard drive

4. Books on solaris programming?

5. Linux and 95 on Separate Hard Drives?

6. Alais Management Tools for Campus Wide Mail Server

7. installing Linux on a separate hard drive

8. Help!!! I wrote the boot record onto the wrong partition

9. How to boot Dos, W95, and Linux from one Hard Drive

10. Newbie with new hard drive for Linux + W95

11. Linux Hard drive recognized as CD ROM in W95!

12. sco & windows, each boot from separate hard drives on one system

13. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux