Trouble with Modem (any gurus out there?)

Trouble with Modem (any gurus out there?)

Post by Jan Bucko » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

recently I updated my system (from suse 5.2 to suse 6.1). On my old
system ppp worked just fine. I had chat scripts and options in
/etc/ppp. Now I wanted to use wvdial. But I could not configure it:

wvdialconf:
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: S0   S1   S2   S3   S4   S5   S6   S7
Port Scan<*1>: S8   S9   S10  S11  S12  S13  S14  S15
Port Scan<*1>: S16  S17  S18  S19  S20  S21  S22  S23

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?

So I copied the old /etc/ppp stuff to my new system. But when
I call my chat script this script returns immediatly without
any error message.

Can anybody help me?

My system looks like this:

- I have a multiport card (unfortunatly I don't know
  vendor and name); at the parallel port of that card
  I have a Iomega ZIP drive
- the modem is at the serial port of the main board
- a printer is the parallel port of the main board

I don't think my problem has something to do with wrong
IO addresses or IRQs because the multiport card (old) is
configured with jumpers and works without problems with my
old linux system and windows 95. The modem is at COM2 (i.e.
/dev/ttyS1, IRQ3, IO 0x2F8 - 0x2FF).

The output of dmesg looks like this:

(egcs-1.1.2 release)) #2 Fri Oct 22 02:32:03 MEST 1999
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
parport1: PC-style at 0x278 [SPP]
parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 670C
parport1: no IEEE-1284 device present.
Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered.

I really don't know what to try next. I already read the
PPP-/Serial-/Modem-Howto. But (with my limited experience and knowledge) I
could not figure out what I can do to fix that problem.

Every hint is VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Post by Martin Stenze » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> recently I updated my system (from suse 5.2 to suse 6.1). On my old
> system ppp worked just fine. I had chat scripts and options in
> /etc/ppp. Now I wanted to use wvdial. But I could  I really don't know what to try next. I already read the
> PPP-/Serial-/Modem-Howto. But (with my limited experience and knowledge) I
> could not figure out what I can do to fix that problem.

> Every hint is VERY much appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Jan

So your box worked with an earlier version, hmm?
Chances:
1. PPP is convenient but to test for a proper recognition of your modem,
first test with the fine
'minicom' program. With this you will know whether you can use your
modem with your new installation.
It is pretty easy to set it up (info should be available through the
SuSE handbook).
2. wvdial gave you a clue already:
'Is it in use by another program?'
There are several programs (uucp, fax programs, etc) that could lock up
your modem.
To verify check for a LCK... file (after the dots there should be the
device name of your modem) in a subdirectory of /var (cannot remember
the right one).
If this exists there _is_ another process that locks your modem. Try to
find it with 'top' or 'ps'
3. Did you have a symbolic link from your modem device to /dev/modem?
(/dev/modem never exists by default)
4. Permissions. Could it be you have no r/w permissions for the device?

Got an idea?
Much luck Martin.

P.S. I am _not_ a guru!
--
Give me the YaST sources and I am willing to install SuSE.

Compaq! Congratulations! Who _does_ need Windows NT?
P.S. Not every OS deserves an Alpha.

--

13156 Berlin - Germany
Phone / Fax  +49 / 30 / 477 555 49

1. Modem lock outs

Hi,

I've run into a bad problem using tty2A for dial-in.
Basically everything works fine (modem answers,
connection is fine) unless you get disconnect
while running an application.  When this occurs,
the modem will not answer and the only way to get
back in is to have someone on the remote end kill
all your processes on tty2A to send it back to the
getty state.  Line drops are due to bad long distance
connections.  Is there an option we can use that
will allow you to reconnect and continue your
application (process) as if nothing had happened?

We're using SCO OpenServer 5 and have tried 3
different modems with similar results.

Would tty2a be more appropriate?  We have used the
terminal flavor before with good results however
we were using a Digiboard port for the modem which
in hindsight, didn't seem to behave like a native
COM port.

When we've tried using tty2a, the modem will not
answer at all.

Lastly, we're working with default settings for
everything (gettydefs, Devices, inittab, etc) and
we believe (hope) all our modem settings are correct.

What would -HUPCL do for us?  I know it prevents
hangups on the last exit but is that all it does?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeff Bain

2. Red Hat 5.1 and /dev/lp0: Not detected

3. Modem cable pin-outs

4. How to disable an account with to many login attempts

5. Some trouble with PAP authentication with ISP, help, Gurus!

6. Solaris wont boot

7. oh mighty Linux guru's please help with Printer trouble

8. booting multiple pre-installed disks?

9. LAN card trouble! Need a Linux guru!

10. modem trouble: USR 56K V.90 voice fax modem

11. getty/modem GURU help

12. Hi folks, Need some advice from Modem Guru please

13. Any gurus out there able to help a (relative) newbie with modem probs?