Newbie Installation of second hard drive

Newbie Installation of second hard drive

Post by dc5gr » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I installed a second IDE hard drive in my RH6.1 system. I know how to set
up a new one in windows/dos but...How do I get the system to recognize the
drive and mount it on boot up....I know it may be alot to ask, but help!!!

Newbie Installation of second hard drive

Post by wayn » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Asuming you mean that when you get to the linux desktop you want to be
able to access the second drive and see and use whats in it heres what you
do.You go to your etc/fstab file and put an entry in for the second
drive.Your second drive would be hdb where the first drive is hda.So
follow your basic file already in there for the first drive but in this
case it will be /dev/hdb along with the rest of the string used by
hda.Make sure when youre finnished to save the file so it will take
effect.You can also put an icon on the desktop for this drive by right
clicking on the desktop and picking new device.Fill in the /dev/hdb for
device and pick your icon.When finnished hit ok.

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to kill the login session

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. Can't use ftp/telnet/rlogin as user only root, help!

5. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

6. Networking help for newbie -- please :-)

7. Please help!!! Second Hard-drive installation....

8. Radeon IGP320 driver

9. Problem with SLS installation with two hard drives

10. Installation of second IDE hard drive on Ultra - size limit

11. New - second hard drive installation.

12. SECOND-HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION...

13. Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive