A little OT but I am running Linux off the DSL.

A little OT but I am running Linux off the DSL.

Post by ***** charle » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 05:29:16

Hi all,

I see the group has discussed telco problems before so
here goes:

I just got a new DSL line that I use with Linux to get
on the Internet.  That part works fine, supposted to be
1.5 in speed.  My problem is that the wire connecting
the outside pole to my DLS modem is short about 10
feet with a spitter/filter on the inside.  One way connects
to a regular phone and the other way connects to my
DSL modem.  When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
humming through the ear side which can be plainly
heard on the other side of the conversation also.

So, how lowd does it have to be before SBC will
actually fix it?  Will this affect my DSL performance?
What piece of equipment would one use to meassure
the actual level of the humming?

When I ask SBC to do a line check, they say everything
is fine.

thanks,
charles.....

Post by johnny bobby be » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:15:16

>  When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
> humming through the ear side which can be plainly
> heard on the other side of the conversation also.

Didn't you get phone-filters with your DSL account? Try using them.

--
NOTICE: anyone seen smoking will be assumed to be on fire and
will be summarily put out.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:15:55

>> When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
>>humming through the ear side which can be plainly
>>heard on the other side of the conversation also.

> Didn't you get phone-filters with your DSL account? Try using them.

The OP described a setup with a splitter just inside the house.  That's
the preferred (but more expensive) way to do it, instead of using
filters on every phone.  It sounds to me like the splitter is the source
of the problem.

Post by J. Clark » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:10:09

> Hi all,

> I see the group has discussed telco problems before so
> here goes:

> I just got a new DSL line that I use with Linux to get
> on the Internet.  That part works fine, supposted to be
> 1.5 in speed.  My problem is that the wire connecting
> the outside pole to my DLS modem is short about 10
> feet with a spitter/filter on the inside.  One way connects
> to a regular phone and the other way connects to my
> DSL modem.  When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
> humming through the ear side which can be plainly
> heard on the other side of the conversation also.

> So, how lowd does it have to be before SBC will
> actually fix it?  Will this affect my DSL performance?
> What piece of equipment would one use to meassure
> the actual level of the humming?

> When I ask SBC to do a line check, they say everything
> is fine.

First, do you get the hum when the DSL modem is disconnected?  Second, do
you get the hum when you plug directly into the jack on the CPE (that's the
box that they should have installed that has a jack or some screws in it
into which the internal wiring from your residence is connected) with
everything else disconnected?

If you get the hum directly on the CPE when using an ordinary phone, then
it's their problem and they need to fix it and if they continue to refuse
it's time to talk to whatever organization oversees public utilities in
your state.  If you don't get it when you're connected directly to the CPE
but do get it with the DSL modem completely disconnected then it's in your
wiring, which, unless you are paying them a premium to maintain said
wiring, is _your_ problem to deal with.  If you're getting it only when the
DSL modem is plugged in and the modem seems to be working properly then
you've likely got a bad filter, which you can replace for a very few bucks
at CompUSA or Staples or just about anywhere else that sells phones.

Note, once you figure out where the hum is coming from, if it's their
problem then call repair service and tell them that you've got a hum on the
line, don't call the DSL support number because they don't seem to be aware
that they work for SBC--actually having the line checked is the _last_
thing on their list.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Post by Mark Sout » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:39:12

> I just got a new DSL line that I use with Linux to get
> on the Internet.  That part works fine, supposted to be
> 1.5 in speed.  My problem is that the wire connecting
> the outside pole to my DLS modem is short about 10
> feet with a spitter/filter on the inside.  One way connects
> to a regular phone and the other way connects to my
> DSL modem.  When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
> humming through the ear side which can be plainly
> heard on the other side of the conversation also.

That noise is typical when connecting a phone with a splitter that has
no filter.  Your splitter apparently has a nonfunctioning filter.

So try a new filter.
--
mark south: world citizen, net denizen

"Take it?  I can't even parse it!" - Kibo, in ARK

Post by ***** charle » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:48:03

> >> When I use the phone, I get a very lowd
> >>humming through the ear side which can be plainly
> >>heard on the other side of the conversation also.

> > Didn't you get phone-filters with your DSL account? Try using them.

> The OP described a setup with a splitter just inside the house.  That's
> the preferred (but more expensive) way to do it, instead of using
> filters on every phone.  It sounds to me like the splitter is the source
> of the problem.

Are any brands of filters better than others, or is it a commodity item?

thanks...

Post by Mark Sout » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:42:39

>> > Didn't you get phone-filters with your DSL account? Try using them.

>> The OP described a setup with a splitter just inside the house.  That's
>> the preferred (but more expensive) way to do it, instead of using
>> filters on every phone.  It sounds to me like the splitter is the source
>> of the problem.

> Are any brands of filters better than others, or is it a commodity item?

The latter.  A few dollars from your local DIY megachain.
--

Post by Joseph2 » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:50:10

>> > Didn't you get phone-filters with your DSL account? Try using them.

>> The OP described a setup with a splitter just inside the house.  That's
>> the preferred (but more expensive) way to do it, instead of using
>> filters on every phone.  It sounds to me like the splitter is the source
>> of the problem.

> Are any brands of filters better than others, or is it a commodity item?

> thanks...

I also have SBC dsl and i used the provided splitters (one wall phone and 4
regular jack types, per instructions and have no problems.  i have three
telephones, the dsl modem feeding a router, which feeds 4 computers and two
print servers.  not much problems once setup.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.

       I could't understand whats going wrong.
I compiled new kernel with kgdb patch..and entered the details in /etc/lilo.conf
and running lilo..

i got the following lines..

Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root ( I am in root login only)
Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.

geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (  1146 > 1023).

Could any one help me out...

thanks,
srinivas.

2. FORTRAN

4. RedHat install failure

5. maybe a little OT: CF-Card not available in XP

6. Mounting MS-DOS partition

7. OT - a little bit of Penguin fun ..

8. xv grab w/ hide failure

9. need networking help (little OT)

10. Question on (DSL & Linux) slightly off-topic??

11. little OT: 2.4.13 kernel complains about E2FS utils trying to go over partit

12. ATA/66 little OT [Q]

13. OT: I wasn't gonna, but now I am.