Philips/LMS CM205 CDROM support?

Post by Georg Schwa » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:19:39

Is the Philips/Laser Magnetic Storage CDROM CM 205 (with CM250 ISA
interface card) supported by Linux? I've seen some references in the
kernel source and docs (I browsed through 2.2.21), but menuconfig does
not offer me a suitable driver, it seems (only LMS 206).

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

1. LINUX "plug & play" CD with Philips LMS CM205 CD rom drive

recently i acquired the Yggdrasil plug & play linux cd, and of course
being plugged in and played was the furthest thing from its mind.
the first few times i tried booting, it didn't recognize the cd at all.
on consulting the docs, it becomes clear that they realized that the
philips cd rom drivers had to be separate due to some conflict with other
cd rom drivers and they nicely enough included a boot disk for the philips
drive.  however, they neglected to remove whatever cd drivers this version
of the boot disk conflicts with and, while the cm205 is recognized during
boot, i unfortunately get numerous other errors (from trying other cd
drives) and an eventual kernel panic about being unable to mount root.
does anyone have any experience getting this particular version of linux
to work with the cm205 drive, or have any suggestions about how to get
linux running from an alternate boot disk (that they might know how to
obtain)?  i'd really appreciate it...
the last straw for me was that the friendly MSCDEX compatible "runlinux"
program doesn't work either (although it's supposed to work with all
mscdex compatible drives, which my philips is), because it immediately
reboots the pc rather than starting linux.  quite frustrating, of course.
any suggestions about that would also be appreciated....
thanks,
chris koeritz.
--
 To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others--Shakyamuni Buddha

2. Memory file system as root?

3. Philips/LMS CM205 unrecognized by lmscd0.4.diff-patched 1.2.6 kernel

4. Linux/GNU utilities & other binaries

5. LINUX "plug & play" CD with Philips LMS CM205 CD rom drive

6. Job Offer: System Admin / HTML Author

7. Philips LMS CM206 CDROM support...?

8. fairly simple (awk) script?

9. Phillips LMS CM205 CDROM

10. Philips CM205 MS CDROM driver