ISO 9660 questions

Post by Ted Shoemake » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:49:20

Hello,

I am considering buying a CD burner.  Someone told me that I should get
one with ISO 9660 capability.  I intend to use the CD burner for saving
documents and pictures, with CMYK color format.

I have a home PC.  My OSes are Windows 98, Linux, and BeOS.

(1)  What is ISO 9660?
(2)  Do I need it?  Why or why not?
(3)  How do I know whether any particular CD burner in the stores
is ISO 9660 capable?
(4)  Once I start using the CD burner, how do I turn on the ISO 9660
features, whatever they may be?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

ISO 9660 questions

Post by Bori » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:37:18

Quote:

> I am considering buying a CD burner.  Someone told me that I should get
> one with ISO 9660 capability.

Stop listening to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote:> (1)  What is ISO 9660?

ISO9660 is the standard file system for CD-ROM's.

Quote:> (2)  Do I need it?  Why or why not?

Probably. It's the most compatible file system for CD-ROM's.

Quote:> (3)  How do I know whether any particular CD burner in the stores
> is ISO 9660 capable?

They all are. It's like asking which Hard Disks are FAT capable.

Quote:> (4)  Once I start using the CD burner, how do I turn on the ISO 9660
> features, whatever they may be?

That depends on the software.

1. A question about hsfs or ISO-9660 CD-ROM file-systems

Hello all :

    I really do not want to go to an NT box to get my little job done so I'm
wondering if anyone else out there has hit this little snag with a hsfs
filesystem.  I wish I had a 900 watt WOKstation but alas I can't even get a
quote for one of them ( inside joke ).  In any case I have a cdrom here that
has long filenames on it and when mounted thus :

# mount -F hsfs -o ro,nomaplcase /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /mnt

I get the following console warning :

Feb 21 18:26:12 monsoon hsfs: NOTICE: hsfs: Warning: file system mounted on
/mnt
Feb 21 18:26:12 monsoon does not conform to the ISO-9660 specification:
Feb 21 18:26:12 monsoon hsfs: file len greater than max allowed
Feb 21 18:26:12 monsoon hsfs: Due to this error, the file system may not be
correctly interpreted.
Feb 21 18:26:12 monsoon hsfs: Other such errors in this file system will be
silently ignored.

Sure enough the CD has lots of files on it the go way past the 8.3 file
nameing convention and have things like XXXXXX~1.ZZZ as the file name.
Attempts to make an accurate filecopy from the CD to my ufs filesystems fails
with nasty errors about "File name too long".   Now I am sure that a run of
the mill Sol8 Ultra workstation can do what-ever an NT system can do and
better ( common troll remark not to be taken seriously from Dennis Clarke )
but I'm at a loss at the moment.

Is there a step in the mount/copy process that I'm missing?

Dennis

2. Jumper settings for high targets (8-15) of SCSI-2 host adapter ??

3. ISO-9660 fs > 2 GB possible ?

4. PPP hasn't 8 bit clean line

5. Trouble installing Mandrake: hangs on ISO 9660 Extension: RRIP_1991A

6. HELP!!! Compaq Netflex 3/p card

7. Old ISO 9660 CD's don't mount

8. any1 know config settings for stealth 3D in vga mode

9. Mounting DirectCD 3.0 Media (ISO 9660/UDF) / UDF write support

10. ISO 9660 Volume Name?

11. ISO 9660 > 8+3: possible?

12. no fs ISO 9660

13. Red Hat & fs type iso 9660