Can't access SCSI controller - not recognized?

Can't access SCSI controller - not recognized?

Post by Cosmo Le » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:25:28

Red Hat 8.0, Symbios SCSI 5C1010/Sym53c8xx

I can't access any devices attached to my LSI/Symbios SCSI controller.

I notice that when the machine boots up, there are no messages that show
that the LSI/Symbios controller is recognized.

However, in the modules.conf file there is an entry for the device as
scsi_hostadapter1.  There is also an entry in
/etc/sysconfig/hardware.conf for the Symbios controller.

If I try to access the first SCSI drive w/ 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' I get a
null result.

Any ideas what might be wrong??

Thanks.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:35:11

> Red Hat 8.0, Symbios SCSI 5C1010/Sym53c8xx

> I can't access any devices attached to my LSI/Symbios SCSI controller.

> I notice that when the machine boots up, there are no messages that show
> that the LSI/Symbios controller is recognized.

> However, in the modules.conf file there is an entry for the device as
> scsi_hostadapter1.  There is also an entry in
> /etc/sysconfig/hardware.conf for the Symbios controller.

> If I try to access the first SCSI drive w/ 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' I get a
> null result.

Are all of the necessary modules loaded (host adapter, SCSI
disk support, etc.) or built into the kernel?  What is the
output of 'lsmod'?  What is the output of 'dmesg | grep -i
scsi'?

1. One SCSI controller is not recognized with another SCSI controller

Hello,

I have an ISA SCSI controller (AHA1522B) to which Iomega Jaz external
and Plextor SCSI CD-ROM internal are attached and a PCI SCSI (AHA2940UW)
with two wide hard drives attached (C:, D:).

When I tried to boot from Debian Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 1.2.2), the
first SCSI controller (AHA1522B) was not recognized, but AHA2940UW was.
I disabled the bios of AHA1522B in vain. I tried with Slackware Linux
with the same result.

I can connect the CD-ROM to AHA2940UW, but I have Jaz still on the
AHA1522B since AHA2940UW works that way.

Please let me know if there is any way I can use both of the controllers
or I can use all of the devices (Wide SCSI H/Ds, SCSI CD-ROM, SCSI Jaz)
on the AHA2940UW..

Sincerely,
DH.
--
Dong Hwan Nam
#18-1 2/6 Bu-Won Dong, Kim-Hae Si, Kyong-Nam, Seoul, Korea

Tel: 011-82-525-25-3563/33-8829, Fax: 011-82-525-25-3563

2. Q: fdutils's larger formats

3. scsi controller not recognized

4. Apache + suEXEC

5. Wide/FAST SCSI-3 Controller not recognised!

6. Linux dialup

7. Kickstart on RedHat 6.0 not recognizing SCSI controller

8. Sympatico ADSL

9. Redhat bootdisk does not recognize 2940U2W SCSI controller

10. Linux does not recognize my IN2000 SCSI controller/drive

11. TMC-850MCD SCSI controller not being recognized

12. FAST SCSI CONTROLLER NOT RECOGNIZED DURING INSTALLATION

13. HELP! SCSI controller not recognized!