PCChips VGA IRQ & S3 Virge

Post by trans.. » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Just a quick note that might help someone.  I'd been having some lockups
in XFree with a new motherboard I got; PCChips M747.  It would happen
under a medium load and while I was alt-tabbing between a few Netscape
windows.  This motherboard has onboard SIS6326 which I didn't think
worked that well, so I stuck an old S3 Virge in the PCI slot.  I set the
BIOS to use the PCI for VGA rather than AGP but I had neglected to also
set the VGA IRQ to PCI as well.  Once I did that such that cat /proc/pci
showed an IRQ for the S3, my freezes went away.

Whew, I was about to pack that sucker up and ship it back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

On a friend's recommendation, I ordered an S3 ViRGE/DX video card for
the PC I am putting together. I received an S3 ViRGE/GX card instead.

Is one better than the other in general? Is one more compatible with
XFree86? Or are the two roughly the same, so that I should just keep
the GX card?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Decerbo

617-873-4443

2. SUMMARY: [What's the best VLB SCSI controller??]

3. S3 VIRGE /GX2 VGA AGP

4. Please debug these 18 lines of code?

5. XFree86 & RedHat51 & S3 Virge DX chipset and signal 11 error

6. IBM porting Linux to RS/6000!

7. S3 ViRGE && X-Server trouble

8. SVGA using a Compaq Qvision/1024 and a Supermac Supermatch 17

9. S3 ViRGE/VX boards (was Re: Virge dotclocks - DS3D 2000 or 3000?)

10. S3 S3 S3 X X X S3 S3 S3

11. shared IRQ 11 between NIC & VGA prblm?

12. s3 virge Dx chipset& redhat

13. XFree86 3.3.3 & S3 ViRGE -- Good News!