openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Post by Matthew Zenk » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Hello,

I am in the process of building a "second" PC which will run Linux,
most likely RedHat 6.0 or above.  One of the applications I intend to
run will do some intensive rendering/surfacing/CAD type stuff and runs
with the MESA library under Linux.

The Vodoo3 3000 cards are inexpensive enough for me to consider buying
one - and I know there is a Linux driver under development for this
chipset.

I also know that XFree86 has some support for 3Dlabs chips such as the
Permedia 2 on the ever popular under Windows Fire GL 1000.  So, I am
looking for opinions from those out there with some experience in this
area on the following questions:

1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
1000.)
2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
chipset?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Matthew

 
 
 

openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Post by Dava Bergero » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00


    From what I know a voodoo 3 (whatever model) can't even begin to help
you in what you want to do for the simple reason that it will not do 3D in
a window (only full screen mode is supported). Whats more nVidia have a
better effort of supporting Linux, they have completely open sourced their
drivers and have a complete team of developpers that get payd by them to
make descent drivers for xFree and mesa. About the other cards I don't
realyy know since I'm not into OpenGL exept for * purpose :-)

Dava Bergeron


> Hello,

> I am in the process of building a "second" PC which will run Linux,
> most likely RedHat 6.0 or above.  One of the applications I intend to
> run will do some intensive rendering/surfacing/CAD type stuff and runs
> with the MESA library under Linux.

> The Vodoo3 3000 cards are inexpensive enough for me to consider buying
> one - and I know there is a Linux driver under development for this
> chipset.

> I also know that XFree86 has some support for 3Dlabs chips such as the
> Permedia 2 on the ever popular under Windows Fire GL 1000.  So, I am
> looking for opinions from those out there with some experience in this
> area on the following questions:

> 1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
> give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
> applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
> 1000.)
> 2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
> 3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
> chipset?

> Thanks in advance!

> All the best,
> Matthew


 
 
 

openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Post by Matthew Zenk » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00




>>    From what I know a voodoo 3 (whatever model) can't even begin to help
>>you in what you want to do for the simple reason that it will not do 3D in
>>a window (only full screen mode is supported).

>   Well, obviously you don't know, since my V3-3000 does a lovely job
>of rendering in a window.  Please don't post when you don't know
>what you're talking about.

>>Whats more nVidia have a
>>better effort of supporting Linux, they have completely open sourced their
>>drivers and have a complete team of developpers that get payd by them to
>>make descent drivers for xFree and mesa. About the other cards I don't
>>realyy know since I'm not into OpenGL exept for * purpose :-)

>   There is a perfectly fine Voodoo-capable X-Server available - I'm using
>it even as we speak.   The OpenGL drivers are doing a fine job of running
>my Mesa apps and q3test.  Little did I know that I'm using something
>that doesn't exist.

I've often run into that problem myself...doing things which can't be
done and running things which don't exist.  :)

But seriously, It's good to hear that Voodoo 3 will do what I want it
to do; however, a little further research on this has me leaning
towards a TNT2 Ultra based card.  The reason is that it seems to have
support from the SGI open source initiative, GLX.  Whether that means
it's any better or not, I don't know, however, having support from the
"makers of openGL" would seem to be a feather in the TNT2's cap.  TNT2
does not appear to be currently hardware accelerated; however, there
is the promise of that down the road.  It is, of course, attractive
that Voodoo has hardware acceleration.

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks you for your reply!

Matthew

ps - I see we're in the same rr domain...

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

>- Rich

 
 
 

openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Post by Michael Sherma » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:> > 1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
> > give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
> > applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
> > 1000.)
> > 2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
> > 3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
> > chipset?

I have a nVidia chip (Diamond Viper 550 card), and got
the new nVidia drivers for OpenGL support.  It's wonderful!
I got Quake III running in fullscreen 800x600 fully
lit and textured.

I am an OpenGL developer, and and work we use the TNT
cards, too, and they're the best we've found for OpenGL
performance at a low price point.  Since we use FLTK
(cross-platform GUI), I can bring my work home and run
it even faster on my Linux box than we can on the
Windoze machines at work (I, however, at least get to
develop on an O2)...

-Mike
AMD K6-2 380
Diamond Viper 550
96 megs SDRAM
and great OpenGL performance!

--

|--- http://members.tripod.com/~msherman/ ---------|
\--- DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER! -1984, Orwell ---------/

 
 
 

openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Post by Matthew Zenk » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00


<snip>

Quote:>I have a nVidia chip (Diamond Viper 550 card), and got
>the new nVidia drivers for OpenGL support.  It's wonderful!
>I got Quake III running in fullscreen 800x600 fully
>lit and textured.

>I am an OpenGL developer, and and work we use the TNT
>cards, too, and they're the best we've found for OpenGL
>performance at a low price point.  Since we use FLTK
>(cross-platform GUI), I can bring my work home and run
>it even faster on my Linux box than we can on the
>Windoze machines at work (I, however, at least get to
>develop on an O2)...

Hmmm...interesting comments.  I've a GMX-2000 based card, too.
However, the support under Linux is not that great for it.  I've been
meaning to put in a request for support for my RAMDAC to the XFree86
people.  Currently, XFree86 attempts to use the RAMDAC in the Permedia
2 - well gotta say "Doh," however, I know the RAMDAC on the card is
not supported.

If I could afford another such based card, I would buy one; however,
I'm bringing up a second machine which will run Linux exclusively.  I
think a TNT 2 based card like the Diamond Viper 770 Ultra will be my
choice of cards for the machine ($208 shipped from www.onsale.com).
The original TNT scored pretty well on Indy3D.  The thing that
attracts me most to the card is that GLX supports it now - even if the
drivers are not optimized.  Nothing like having open source openGL
from it's originator.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best,
Matthew

Quote:

>-Mike
>AMD K6-2 380
>Diamond Viper 550
>96 megs SDRAM
>and great OpenGL performance!

 
 
 

1. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

Hello,
I was wondering where I could get drivers for the 3dfx Voodoo 3 Graphics

card from.  I am using Mandrake 8 and when I try and run some of the
games which I think require full screen resolution, the X server seems
to reset instead of being able to play the game.  Does this make sense?
Also where can I get Glide drivers for this card from?
Cheers,
Scott

2. Added 4 megs.. no change

3. Re-activate onboard graphic chip with AGP graphic card plugged?

4. Ethernet card MAC address misdetected - sometimes

5. A Graphics card and adapter to give 24-bit graphics + 64k colours.

6. BGP4-capable router using Linux box?

7. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

8. DiP-NeTworKing-GuiDe

9. Any success with OpenGL graphics cards ?

10. Graphics card/OpenGL/Xserver

11. Which graphics card for OpenGL?

12. Which graphics card is best for OpenGL?

13. Problem with PowerStorm 4D60T graphics card and OpenGL application