RH5.1 won't install!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

Post by Derry Goberdhansing » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Ok, this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I have installed
Linux before and I had no problems. Well I had problems with the install but
I knew why, and I knew how to solve it, but I didn't want to. Anyways, I
purchased an IBM Deskstar 14 GXP 10.1 GB IDE HD to install RH onto. I booted
of the CD and that worked fine, I partitioned it and it gave no errors, but
when it tried to install the files well that's where the problem lies. It
doesn't install anything, nothing at all, it states that it's going to take
something like 600 hours to install 650 Mb of data!!! What the hell is up
with that?
    The CD was being read and the HD light was going a million miles and
hour, so I know that they were somehow communicating to each other. It came
up with an error after 10 mins of trying to install the file system which
was 79k or so, and said that there was an Input/Ouput error. Well I said to
hell with it, restarted the HD, put in my Partion Magic boot disk and placed
a 50Mb FAT partition towards the end of the drive and then booted to Win95,
which is on my SCSI disk. In win 95 I was able to write to the disk and read
from it and I was able to read from the CD and transfer files from it to
that particular Partition. I even read the RH manual for any related
problems with Ultra DMA drives and said try puting it to PIO mode 2 instead
of 4, so I did that. It didn't help one bit! I'm still stuck and really
getting annoyed at it.

My system setup is as follows

128Mb of RAM
Tyan S1836 DLUAN Thunder 100  mobo,
Intel Celeron 266
Quantum SCSI 3 9.1Gb HD SCSI Id of 0 plugged into channel A
(this drive has several partitions, with FAT16 and 1 NTFS only)

Adaptec SCSI 3 controller onboard, dual channel
Elsa Gloria Synergy 8Mb graphic card
Creative PCI 56K modem
Diamond Monster sound MX300
Floppy, IDE zip, 32x CD-ROM
Diamond Monster II V2 12Mb card

I am currently running Win95 OSR2, and Win NT  SP4.
I also have the most current BIOS

I installed RH 5.1 on my SCSI drive once before but I never had these
problems. Any help would be appreciated.

RH5.1 won't install!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

Post by Derry Goberdhansing » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Never mind, I realized that someone had cracked the cd.

1. RH5.1 Won't Install! Please Help!!!

[...]

2. date conversion

3. ***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

4. Kernel compiling problem

5. Boot Linux, Win95 & WinNT

6. Help RH5.0 install won't mount CDROM drive

7. how to make something suid root ?

8. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

9. OpenServer 5 won't install with Windows 95 -- Please HELP!

10. Won't install [help please]

11. Please Help, LINUX won't install on NCR SCSI 386

12. LILO Won't Install - PLEASE HELP