Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?

Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?

Post by Michael Bad » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:36:41

Hi,
Just ordered a PC with above CPU/MoBo.
I intend to install multiple Linux Distributions on it, probably Mandriva
2006, Kubuntu 5.10 and SUSE 10 OSS.
Has anybody experience with these components?
Any tips?

TIA

Post by stu » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:03:28

> Hi,
> Just ordered a PC with above CPU/MoBo.
> I intend to install multiple Linux Distributions on it, probably Mandriva
> 2006, Kubuntu 5.10 and SUSE 10 OSS.
> Has anybody experience with these components?
> Any tips?

> TIA

I installed SUSE10 64bit to my K8NF-9 with an athlon 4000 and it all
just worked. I have nvidia 3d PCIE graphics and forcedeth gigabit ethernet.
Sound works too. Note you can not use nvidia sata raid disks as setup
from the bios. Software raid would work fine over plain sata disks.
I don't know if firewire800 works.
Good Luck.

Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?

Post by DC » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:47:24

Any idea why nvidia sata raid cannot run ? If it runs software raid, it
uses up cpu resource. That is not desirable.

Post by stu » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:13:57

> Any idea why nvidia sata raid cannot run ? If it runs software raid, it
> uses up cpu resource. That is not desirable.

It isn't normally recognized by the sata drivers in the kernel.
This site may have some info. It may be possible to use dmraid:
http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme
I can not read the partition table of a raid-0 array that the nforce
bios made and that WindowsXP uses for bootup.
Maybe I can use dmraid to be able to read my Nforce Raid-0 XP data...
I just haven't tried.

1. How can I verify I got Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core CPU

Hi,
I just purchased a new Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core based PC.
When I will pick it up, within 2 days, it will be "naked" (without OS) and I
intend to bring with me a Knoppix 4.0 CD to test it at the shop.

My question: How can I verify that I indeed got the Venice core (rather than
older Winchester) using Knoppix? e.g., what the expected contents
of /proc/cpuinfo?

BTW, the mobo is Gigabyte K8NF-9 (S-939).

TIA

2. Fogelstrom vs. Polstra dynamic linkers for ELF?

3. AMD Athlon 64 and Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 Motherboard

4. Slackware 2.0.2 CD ?

5. Will Suse 9.2 or 9.3 run on AMD Athlon 64 X2 (dual core)?

6. Help: Having problems running dhcp server on ethertap interface.

7. SMP w/ Athlon 64 X2 CPUs?

8. scripting an ftp session

9. experiences with new Tyan dual Athlon mobo?

10. athlon 64: cpu frequency ?

11. Nvidia drivers don't work on Compaq Athlon 64 laptop in Fedora Core 3

12. Linux + Diamond Stealth 64 Video 3200

13. help: Diamond 64 video 3200 PCI + DEC 21140 PCI?