copying hard drive to hard drive

Post by Gary Smit » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:06:18

Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated
quickly and easily. I want to make exact copies of one hard drive to many
others. Drives are formated in either etx3 or reizer FS.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

copying hard drive to hard drive

Post by Darre » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:03:01

Norton ghost or power quest utility (PQDI) will both do the job well.

Are you sure you want to switch to red alert sir ?  That would involve
changing the lightbulb...........

Quote:> Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated

Post by Sebastien Stormac » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:28:40

> Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated
> quickly and easily. I want to make exact copies of one hard drive to many
> others. Drives are formated in either etx3 or reizer FS.

when both hd are connected on the same machine, dd should do the trick

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda2 ...

(I am not used to dd, so its better to check the man page before :-)

Seb

Post by Duane Clar » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:22:04

> Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated
> quickly and easily. I want to make exact copies of one hard drive to many
> others. Drives are formated in either etx3 or reizer FS.

Are these drives identical? Then the easiest way is probably
# cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb

Note that this is using raw device files, not a file system. Therefore
it will correctly copy everything including special files and links and
whatever (I do this on a semi regular basis). It is doing a bit for bit
copy of the disk. Unfortunately, it is copying every bit, regardless of
whether there is actually any file data located there, so it is a little
slow. To copy a 20G takes about 35 minutes, which translates into a
sustained transfer rate of about 10MB/second. Be sure to enable DMA on
IDE disks, or it will take a VERY long time. The other problem with this
method is a lack of a progress status indication.

Some advantages. There is no need to format or partition the destination
disk. This will correctly create and copy primary, extended, boot, even
Windoze partitions.

--

Post by Barry L. Klin » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:54:48

> Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated
> quickly and easily. I want to make exact copies of one hard drive to many
> others. Drives are formated in either etx3 or reizer FS.

> Any help appreciated.

> Thanks

Barry

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:07:40

>> Anyone know of a simple utility to allow hard drives to be replicated
>> quickly and easily. I want to make exact copies of one hard drive to many
>> others. Drives are formated in either etx3 or reizer FS.

>when both hd are connected on the same machine, dd should do the trick

>dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda2 ...

>(I am not used to dd, so its better to check the man page before :-)

        That would result in copying from primary partition 1 to primary
partition 2 on the same hard disk.  I don't think this is what you want.
If you had the second hard disk installed as /dev/hdc, the command would
be "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc" -- this would work, but has the drawback
that it will not detect any bad sectors on the destination drive.  It will
also waste time copying unused sectors.

>Are these drives identical? Then the easiest way is probably
># cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb

>Note that this is using raw device files, not a file system. Therefore
>it will correctly copy everything including special files and links and
>whatever (I do this on a semi regular basis). It is doing a bit for bit
>copy of the disk. Unfortunately, it is copying every bit, regardless of
>whether there is actually any file data located there, so it is a little
>slow. To copy a 20G takes about 35 minutes, which translates into a
>sustained transfer rate of about 10MB/second. Be sure to enable DMA on
>IDE disks, or it will take a VERY long time. The other problem with this
>method is a lack of a progress status indication.

>Some advantages. There is no need to format or partition the destination
>disk. This will correctly create and copy primary, extended, boot, even
>Windoze partitions.

        This one also has the disadvantage of not detecting bad sectors
on the destination drive.  In my experience, hard drives do develop bad
sectors (or even fail more seriously) at a significant rate.  This is
particularly true of laptop hard drives, which both get handled more and
seem to be less resistant to random failure than desktop hard drives (even
though the laptop hard drives should be more shock resistant).

        For instructions on copying one hard drive to another, read the
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html "Hard Disk
Upgrade Mini HOWTO", but with the caveat that the "-x" option (stay in one
file system) option of the "cp" command does not work in some versions of
the GNU fileutils (this was being fixed last year, but some old versions are
almost assuredly floating around).  You can also use a tarball intermediate
to copy hard drives -- use "tar -zcvpf tarball.tgz -T filelist.txt" on the
source end and "tar -zxvpf tarball.tgz" on the destination end and then fix
Lilo after finishing the restore.  (Replace "tarball.tgz" with the appropriate
tarball path and name; replace filelist.txt with the name of a text file that
contains the names of the directories in files at the top-level of the source
hard drive, but with /mnt and /proc removed; manually create empty /mnt and
/proc directories and subdirectories of the /mnt directory on the destination
hard drive.)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

1. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

I am running Free BSD with a 2.1 GB SCSI Dive.  I would like to make a
full copy of the current SCSI Drive to a second SCSI Drive which would
be mounted on a removable drawer.  In the event of a failure of the
primary drive I would then be able to simply plug in the drive from
the drawer and have machine restored.  In other words, a full backup.

I have successfully created these kind of backups with DOS computers
using "Drive Image".

Ideally this would be accomplished by starting the machine with a
bootable floppy with the copy software on it and simply copying hard
drive 1 to hard drive 2.  The machine does not have to be running in
UNIX at all while this process is going on as long as the copying
software does the job.  There are several DOS programs (Drive Image,
Ghost) which claim to be able to do the job for UNIX drives.

I tried this on the Free BSD machine but I was copying the SCSI to an
IDE.  That did NOT work.

I have since decided that I probably need to copy SCSI to SCSI and not
SCSI to IDE.

Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions on whether this
will  work and, if so, what software to use?  It seems to me that a
sector to sector copy program should work but I would like to know if
anyone has any experience or suggestions.

Allan Sniffen

2. cron mystery

3. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

4. Tar errors on AIX 4.3.2

5. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

6. Veritas: mv'ing controllers?

7. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

8. Small problem with Gnome Panel.

9. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

10. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

11. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???

12. copying contents of a hard drive to anther drive?

13. can't mount hard second hard drive