SCSI card PIO versus DMA

Post by Darin Johns » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have an AHA-1522.  I can leave this set to PIO, or I can
have it do DMA.  Does this matter for linux, or do I also
need a SCSI device that supports it (it will be for zip drive).
What are the tradeoffs?
--
Darin Johnson

  - Grad school - just say no.

1. PIO&DMA Modes with Linux

It does, but you have to activate it using the package hdparm. Quoting from
a snippet of the answer to a previous question of this sort:
 To fine-tune
  the parameters of your ide drive for improved performance, you might
  want to have a look at the hdparm package in
  sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/kernel/patches/diskdrives/
Substituting a mirror for sunsite of course. Take a look in the your kernel
source directory for /drivers/block/README.ide or something (perhaps it's
in the source code itself ide.c) for info.

2. RPC and showmount

3. DMA problem fallback to PIO mode?

4. linux-2.4.8 vs. IEEE1394

5. What's better about Redhat 5.2 than it's (RH) pred. ???

6. Change HD pio/dma mode?

7. Decode surround sound to separate tracks

8. DMA and PIO modes with Linux

9. MP3 sound great, CD sounds Very bad (possible DMA or PIO issues?)

10. Poor disk I/O, PIO instead of DMA???

11. Adaptec 1520A: DMA vs. PIO?

12. PIO 3 and PIO 4