old 8088 as terminal

Post by Elias Pin » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
or cable?

thanks, Elias

--
          ..... ......          +=============================================+
       + + + +   + + + + +      | Elias A. Pinto                      aka Zman|

E  l  i  a  s    P  i  n  t  o  | http://www.veryComputer.com/~epinto |
================================+=============================================+

PGP Pub Key ID: 02B4F389; Size: 1024; Date 1996/07/22
Fingerprint: 8B 6A 00 53 1A 43 4F 43  9C 5A 7B 55 63 20 64 15

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Antti Barc » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> Hi,
> I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

> does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

Linux HOWTO are found from

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO

and mirrors...

Quote:> One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
> or cable?

Null-modem-cable connected between available serial ports is most
likely solution - Serial-HOWTO section 8.1 describes one.

You need also terminal software for your 8088: telix or even zmodem
driver dsz ( option -t ) will do [ or kermit ]. Linux software should
be rather easy; just manipulate gettydefs...

Linux kernels has tcp/ip protocoll for parallel cable, but I quess there
is no driver that would simulate parallel port for serial logins. So we
can forget parallel cable (?) [ and ethernet as well? ]

Regards,
Antti Barck <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
`The only stupid question is the unasked one.'

old 8088 as terminal

Post by William Snyde » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Hi,
> I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

> does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

> One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
> or cable?

> thanks, Elias

You can't run linux on your 8088, but you can make it simulate, say, a
vt100 terminal and hook it up to a linux box. Simulation software that
might work includes old dos QVT versions and the like. Look in the modem
or communications directories in dos simtel archives. These should also
provide more info about how to hook them up (modem, direct RS-232 and
ethernet are probably all possible). Something like a null-modem cable
between the linux box and the 8088 will probably be the cheapest
solution. Consult the Linux HOWTO's on serial and modem issues.

-Will

--

Imaging Scientist       http://www.veryComputer.com/~will/will.html
Institute for Computational Earth Systems Science

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Jeffrey Thomps » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Hi,
> I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

Yes, a couple of ways.

1. Null modem cable (you can buy a regular modem cable with a null-modem
insert inbetween your cable and computer) and then download MS Kermit
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/micro/pc/simtelnet/msdos/commprog/tskerm26.zip.
It does perfect vt100 terminal emulation on Linux and you can do file
transfers with kermit as well.  It's a full featured FREE terminal
emulation program for 8088.

2. Ethernet! While this costs more, you can probably buy 8-bit ethernet
cards.  I only know of the Western Digital WD8003 card.  There might be
others out there.  You will need an ethernet card for both the 8088 and
the
Linux server.  Then you will need a coax cable (50ohm). You can get a 50'
pre-made cable. Then you will need two tee-connectors, and two 50ohm
terminators.

 50ohm terminator
   |     coax cable
   |         |    tee connector
   |         |       |
   v         v       v
   ==+---------------+==
     |               |
    ether           ether
    card            card
    8088            Linux

The ethernet connection will be far better than the null modem cable (as a
learning experience and also in daily use much faster).

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Jeffrey Thomps » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

If anyone is looking for another use of 8088 I have a version of UUCP that
actually works on an original IBM PC 8088.  Most UUCP implementations
don't work with the original, they expect more advanced serial
communication chips.

If I get a sufficient interest, I'll put it up for ftp download.
It's a challenge to make old junk work. :-)

I also have old 2400 baud Prometheus modems hooked up to these that allow
the users to receive free email and files from my system.

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Antti Barc » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> The ethernet connection will be far better than the null modem cable (as a
> learning experience and also in daily use much faster).

Ehh, the 8088 must then have a bit more sophisticated software like
TCP/IP instead of being just a dumb terminal, rite?

Regards,
Antti Barck <http://www.iki.fi/proff>

Post by Eric Sakows » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> Hi,
>> Hi,
>> I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
>> Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

>> does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

>> One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
>> or cable?

>> thanks, Elias

I did this awhile ago, pretty useful when you*up an upgrade and can't
get X or a regular console (*blush*).  read the serial howto, and buy a
null-modem cable or an RS232 serial cable and a null modem adaptor for it.
Basically, you need to set up a getty on the tty you want to connect the
terminal to (usually a serial port).  Mine is connected to ttyS3 -- here's
the line from my inittab:

# getty for 8086 dumbterm
S3:456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS3 DT9600 vt100

and you need to run Telix or kermit or the like on the 8088.  Get rid of all
init strings and set the com port to whatever serial port on the 8088 you're
using.  I've made a record/description of my travails w/ getting this thing
to work available at:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~worm/lem/pt1.html

-- Eric
--
Eric Sakowski, aka Lem          ||  Ronin telnet://ronin.hudsonet.com:5000
RUL Systems Department  5-5896  ||  He who has lived out his days has lived

old 8088 as terminal

Post by E.J. Neafsey, Ph.D » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Hi,
> I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

> does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

> One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
> or cable?

> thanks, Elias

> --
>           ..... ......          +=============================================+
>        + + + +   + + + + +      | Elias A. Pinto                      aka Zman|

> E  l  i  a  s    P  i  n  t  o  | http://www.veryComputer.com/~epinto |
> ================================+=============================================+

> PGP Pub Key ID: 02B4F389; Size: 1024; Date 1996/07/22
> Fingerprint: 8B 6A 00 53 1A 43 4F 43  9C 5A 7B 55 63 20 64 15

Use Kermit for VT100 emulation on your 8088; nothing else ever came close
to it for accurate and reliable emulation.

e.j. neafsey

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Leslie Mikese » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> The ethernet connection will be far better than the null modem cable (as a
>> learning experience and also in daily use much faster).

>Ehh, the 8088 must then have a bit more sophisticated software like
>TCP/IP instead of being just a dumb terminal, rite?

The free MSDOS kermit program has tcp/telnet built in as well as serial
port access and a good vtxxx emulation.  All you need in addition is a
packet driver for your network card.   There are also a few other
telnet programs that run over packet drivers: ncsa, cutpc at least.

Les Mikesell

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Frederick W. Koehler I » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi,
> > Hi,
> > I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> > Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

> > does anyone know any FAQ, HOWTO or even URL on the subject?

> > One more question... if I was to connect both of them, what type
> > or cable?

> > thanks, Elias

> > --
> >           ..... ......

[stuff deleted...]
Here's an (overkill) idea/question--I've got minix up and running on my
ancient tandy 1000 (nec v20, 8086 clone), plus I have an old 3com 3c509
8bit card.  Question is, could you use minix on the 8086 w/ ethernet and
the 3com card as a (slightly) more sophisticated/elegant terminal than,
say kermit and dos?  I haven't worked w/ minix much, just found it on an
ftp site, and don't even know if there's tcp/ip available for it on that
platform.  I suppose you could always connect a null cable and use
kermit off minix.  It might just be one (silly?) way of avoiding
Micro$oft Dos, even on your 8088 terminal.

Clippinger Labs 393             http://www.veryComputer.com/~koehler
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701                When the going gets tough,
1-614-593-1934                  the tough get empirical.
************************* Soli Deo Gloria  *****************************

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Jeffrey Thomps » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I fired up my old 8088 box and copied some software onto a web page called
FREE DOS 8088 Programs', http://watchman.com/jeffrey/dos.html
which includes:
   - DOS Kermit
   - DOS NCSA Software (for doing ethernet on 8088)
   - DOS Pager (like more): Less
   - DOS UUCP (works with Linux on Original 8088!)
   - DOS UUEncode/UUDecode
   - DOS VI

I've found all of there to be very useful on the old 8088 pc.

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Antti Barc » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> packet driver for your network card.   There are also a few other
> telnet programs that run over packet drivers: ncsa, cutpc at least.

So it is possible to establish ethernet-connection between 8086 and
linux without configuring tcp/ip?

Post by Bart_van_Laa » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > > Hi,
> > > Hi,
> > > I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> > > Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

[snip]

Quote:> Here's an (overkill) idea/question--I've got minix up and running on my
> ancient tandy 1000 (nec v20, 8086 clone), plus I have an old 3com 3c509
> 8bit card.  Question is, could you use minix on the 8086 w/ ethernet and
> the 3com card as a (slightly) more sophisticated/elegant terminal than,
> say kermit and dos?  I haven't worked w/ minix much, just found it on an
> ftp site, and don't even know if there's tcp/ip available for it on that
> platform.

Nope,
I worked with minix at school. Older versions (your version must be old)
worked
with the amoeba network protocol. So, no tcp/ip. The newer version (1.7+
i believe)
does have tcp/ip but will not run on your 8086.
I don't thing you will find a tcp/ip for your minix. But maybe someone
has built
a tcp/ip -> amoeba for linux. Very remote chance.
Isnt there a terminal-emulator for Minix somewhere? Someone must have
written it?

Quote:> I suppose you could always connect a null cable and use
> kermit off minix.  It might just be one (silly?) way of avoiding
> Micro$oft Dos, even on your 8088 terminal.

You could install IBM-Dos or DR-DOS or even CP/M. ;))

[snip]

--(c)Bart van Laer[tm]------------

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Simon Harriso » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi,
> > Hi,
> > I've got this 8088 sitting in my ba*t collecting dust.
> > Is there a way of making it a terminal for linux?

> Yes, a couple of ways.

> 1. Null modem cable (you can buy a regular modem cable with a null-modem
> insert inbetween your cable and computer) and then download MS Kermit
> ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/micro/pc/simtelnet/msdos/commprog/tskerm26.zip.
> It does perfect vt100 terminal emulation on Linux and you can do file
> transfers with kermit as well.  It's a full featured FREE terminal
> emulation program for 8088.

You don't need the null-modem, just three wires with ground and TX and RX
swapped.  Make sure that if using kermit connected to a Linux box you're
actually using vt220/vt100 instead of vt320 (a default which gets messed
up by pine, lynx and maybe other curses based stuff).

Quote:> 2. Ethernet! While this costs more, you can probably buy 8-bit ethernet
> cards.  I only know of the Western Digital WD8003 card.  There might be
> others out there.  You will need an ethernet card for both the 8088 and
> the

The ne1000 works extremely well, and isn't much slower than the ne2000 for
some reason.  Some old ne2000 and WD8013 cards can be jumper-set to go in
an 8 bit slot even though they're 16-bit cards.

Quote:> Linux server.  Then you will need a coax cable (50ohm). You can get a 50'
> pre-made cable. Then you will need two tee-connectors, and two 50ohm
> terminators.

>  50ohm terminator
>    |     coax cable
>    |         |    tee connector
>    |         |       |
>    v         v       v
>    ==+---------------+==
>      |               |
>     ether           ether
>     card            card
>     8088            Linux

> The ethernet connection will be far better than the null modem cable (as a
> learning experience and also in daily use much faster).

-Simon

old 8088 as terminal

Post by Bear Gil » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> 2. Ethernet! While this costs more,

I would almost call this an "urban legend."  You may want to get a
good ethernet card on your linux boxes if you have a linux cluster,
but you might be able to get a card for a PC/XT/AT free.  Check
used computer stores and the like.  Even if you buy a new card,
you can often find cards in the "bargain bins" of the big chains
for under $40.

Then you have the cost of the cabling, perhaps $10, but that's
easily offset by the fact that it's standard, it's fast, it's
robust, and it's easy to expand to additional systems.  Wiring up
null modems, especially with multiple systems, is a pain.

Quote:>> you can probably buy 8-bit ethernet
>> cards.  I only know of the Western Digital WD8003 card.  There might be
>> others out there.  You will need an ethernet card for both the 8088 and
>> the

>The ne1000 works extremely well, and isn't much slower than the ne2000 for
>some reason.  Some old ne2000 and WD8013 cards can be jumper-set to go in
>an 8 bit slot even though they're 16-bit cards.

I shouldn't be too hard to burn an EPROM set for an VT100/ANSI
ethernet terminal, especially if you're willing to make some
simplifying assumptions.  You would then pop out the current
PROMS and insert other cards which are dedicated -- they would
only do a few simple tasks:

 1. read the keyboard,
 2. put characters to the display,
 3. read buffers from ethernet card
 4. write buffers from ethernet card
 5. interpret ANSI codes ("ansi.sys" in DOSese)
 6. interpret VT100/VT200/VT320, which is similar to ANSI codes
 7. knit the above together.  (keyboard->network, network->ANSI->display)
 8. perhaps provide a simple "setup" resource.
 9. perhaps provide a "print" resource to a parallel port.

Anyone who can't fit the code for this into the 64k(?) available
in the BIOS PROM space doesn't deserve to be called a systems
programmer.  It would probably also be an excellent student
programming task, for those schools with SE projects or the
like.

(It would even have a social conscious purpose; students in
poor schools could get decent terminals to a Linux (or other)
server using otherwise useless old PCs and/or based on
extremely inexpensive single board 8086 systems.)

--
Bear Giles             To treat your facts with imagination is one thing,

                                                       -- John Burroughs

1. old 8088 as terminal

Hi,
I've got this 8088 sitting in my basement collecting dust.

E  l  i  a  s    P  i  n  t  o  | http://menger.eecs.stevens-tech.edu/~epinto |
================================+=============================================+

PGP Pub Key ID: 02B4F389; Size: 1024; Date 1996/07/22
Fingerprint: 8B 6A 00 53 1A 43 4F 43  9C 5A 7B 55 63 20 64 15

2. Ping script

3. patch to 1.2.13 to compile under ELF?

4. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

5. Elm: Waiting to read mailbox while mail being received

6. 8088 as dumb terminal!!!

7. Compaq laptop LTE5400

8. 8088 terminals

9. XT(8088)as terminal

10. X terminal and 8088 or 286

11. Using 8088 computer as a UNIX terminal (over COM1)

12. Using my 8088 as a terminal