Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

Post by Wm. Gil » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am in a bind, I purchases a SuperMicro P6SBU with an
onboard SCSI (AIC-7890).
Redhat seemed to install without incident, but then I
started to get CRC errors when I try to reboot, or when
trying to read the filesystem (it seems to boot ok from
floppy).  I don't see the AIC-7890 on the HCL, but have
seen several references suggesting that Linux 2.0.36 (which
is what I have) does.
My vendor "doesn't support Linux " and SuperMicro is
equally helpful (the response I got was semi-literate
telling me to "contact my Linux ").
I tried to contact Redhat, but lost my "support number".
The system is back at the vendor for "check out"
(installing Win 98 to prove it's a Linux problem).  In the
meantime I'm getting desperate enough to switch back to NT
(and associated licensing, "support", etc.).
Obviously I'm new to Linux, and unfamiliar with SCSI
drives.  Does anyone know if this hardware will work, and
if so, can a novice fix it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

Post by Wm. Gil » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your prompt reply.  At least I know I'm not chasing my tail
trying to get this to work, but now I have a couple more questions.
First, my Redhat is kernel 2.0.36.  Is there a difference in kernels?
Second, as a novice, I don't know where to begin 'building them
myself'.  Besides, if my drive is the source of my problems, how would
I get around it?

Thanks again for your help.

> I have the p6sbu and I do run linux on it.  you do need the 2.0.36
kernel (I
> don't use redhat kernels - I download them and build them directly
myself).

> if you rebuild the kernel and answer the right scsi questions it
should work
> for you.

> check cabling, active termination, using only 2 of the 3 connectors,
etc.

> : I am in a bind, I purchases a SuperMicro P6SBU with an
> : onboard SCSI (AIC-7890).
> : Redhat seemed to install without incident, but then I
> : started to get CRC errors when I try to reboot, or when
> : trying to read the filesystem (it seems to boot ok from
> : floppy).  I don't see the AIC-7890 on the HCL, but have
> : seen several references suggesting that Linux 2.0.36 (which
> : is what I have) does.
> : My vendor "doesn't support Linux " and SuperMicro is
> : equally helpful (the response I got was semi-literate
> : telling me to "contact my Linux ").
> : I tried to contact Redhat, but lost my "support number".
> : The system is back at the vendor for "check out"
> : (installing Win 98 to prove it's a Linux problem).  In the
> : meantime I'm getting desperate enough to switch back to NT
> : (and associated licensing, "support", etc.).
> : Obviously I'm new to Linux, and unfamiliar with SCSI
> : drives.  Does anyone know if this hardware will work, and
> : if so, can a novice fix it?

> : Thanks for any help you can provide.

> --
> AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zero' chars to letter 'o' chars.
> bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net/

Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

Post by Tony Puja » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'll have to check, but I believe that this is the same motherboard I
bought and couldn't get Red Hat 5.1 to install on. (Is your board
support dual processors?).

Anyway, our boards support the same SCSI which is equivalent to the
Adaptec 2940 U2W. I posted a question just last night asking if anyone
has successfully installed 5.2 on a system with this SCSI.

According to Red Hat's web site, the Adaptec 2940 U2W is a Tier 2
supported adapter -- it should work, but is not supported.

(http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-6.ht...)

I would sure love to hear the current status of U2W support and any
success stories with Red Hat 5.2 myself.

- Tony

Quote:>I am in a bind, I purchases a SuperMicro P6SBU with an
>onboard SCSI (AIC-7890).
>Redhat seemed to install without incident, but then I
>started to get CRC errors when I try to reboot, or when
>trying to read the filesystem (it seems to boot ok from
>floppy).  I don't see the AIC-7890 on the HCL, but have
>seen several references suggesting that Linux 2.0.36 (which
>is what I have) does.
>My vendor "doesn't support Linux " and SuperMicro is
>equally helpful (the response I got was semi-literate
>telling me to "contact my Linux ").
>I tried to contact Redhat, but lost my "support number".
>The system is back at the vendor for "check out"
>(installing Win 98 to prove it's a Linux problem).  In the
>meantime I'm getting desperate enough to switch back to NT
>(and associated licensing, "support", etc.).
>Obviously I'm new to Linux, and unfamiliar with SCSI
>drives.  Does anyone know if this hardware will work, and
>if so, can a novice fix it?

>Thanks for any help you can provide.

Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

Post by Wm. Gil » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

From what I am gathering, kernel 2.0.36 should work.
Supermicro continues their uncompromising support with responses like:

        " Well the bottom line it Adaptec it doesn't support the driver
        for the Redhat or Linux operating system. The driver it must
        write by the Redhat or Linux to support with the
        Adaptec AIC 7890 Chip Set.

        Thank you."

However, the people who built the system (but who don't support Linux)
can't make Win98 work either, so they're changing the motherboard.
After they test it for a while, I'll let you know if 2.0.36 loads
cleanly next time.

As for the P6SBU supporting dual processors, The documentation doesn't
mention it, and I would think people so gifted in communications skills
would mention it if dual processors were supported.

Quote:> I'll have to check, but I believe that this is the same motherboard I
> bought and couldn't get Red Hat 5.1 to install on. (Is your board
> support dual processors?).

> Anyway, our boards support the same SCSI which is equivalent to the
> Adaptec 2940 U2W. I posted a question just last night asking if
anyone
> has successfully installed 5.2 on a system with this SCSI.

> According to Red Hat's web site, the Adaptec 2940 U2W is a Tier 2
> supported adapter -- it should work, but is not supported.

(http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-6.html
#ss6.3)