Problems mounting CD-rom with Audio CD

Post by K. X » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I was trying to mount CD-rom containing an audio cd, but got error
message "Wrong medium type".
The CD player works fine, and mounting data CD's is no problem. I
suspect I should use some special mounting type for audio CD (other than
iso9660), but don't know which one to use. Any help is greatly
appreciated.
-Kaiwen

Problems mounting CD-rom with Audio CD

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 25 May 2000 19:17:27 -0700, K. Xu

Quote:>Hi,
>I was trying to mount CD-rom containing an audio cd, but got error
>message "Wrong medium type".
>The CD player works fine, and mounting data CD's is no problem. I
>suspect I should use some special mounting type for audio CD (other than
>iso9660), but don't know which one to use. Any help is greatly
>appreciated.

mount:  To integrate a filesystem into the directory tree.

Audio CD:  data storage medium that does not contain a filesystem, merely
a TOC and 1-99 tracks of 16-bit PCM data in big-endian order.

You cannot mount an audio CD in Linux.  If you want to extract audio data
from a CD, you need a program such as cdparanoia or cdda2wav.  cdparanoia
is very nice and is available from http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/ if you
don't have it already.  If you merely want to play an audio CD, there are
a bunch of CD player applications available... kscd, workman, and the
like.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

Post by Bob Marti » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I was trying to mount CD-rom containing an audio cd, but got error
> message "Wrong medium type".
> The CD player works fine, and mounting data CD's is no problem. I
> suspect I should use some special mounting type for audio CD (other than
> iso9660), but don't know which one to use. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
> -Kaiwen

Audio CDs do not have a file system, so there is nothing to mount.
--

Bob Martin

Post by Diethard Ohr » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I was trying to mount CD-rom containing an audio cd, but got error
> message "Wrong medium type".

As others already posted, there is no filesystem on an audio CD. But you
can use the "CD filesystem" to mount it:
http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/cdfs/
--

SIEMENS AG/PSE EZE CN1, A-8054 Graz, Austria
Tel.: (+43) (0)51707-63709

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. SUNSAI CArd!

3. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

4. iptables and ftp

5. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

6. Teething troubles with my game

7. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

8. Asleep and Uniterruptable job status

9. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

10. Audio CD problems with es1370, R6.0, and Toshiba CD-ROM drive

11. NEC CD-ROM SCSI problems (w/ audio CD)

12. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

13. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)