Mouse Systems Optical mouse

Post by Kanan F Sh » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is the Mouse Systems Optical Mouse (PC) Linux compatible?

It has the following mouse port/interfaces: Serial/ RS232/ PS/2
and supports the following protocols: MSC/ s/b MS and PS/2 according to their
literature.

Post by Roderick W. Smi » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:F Shah) writes:

> Is the Mouse Systems Optical Mouse (PC) Linux compatible?

> It has the following mouse port/interfaces: Serial/ RS232/ PS/2
> and supports the following protocols: MSC/ s/b MS and PS/2 according to
> their literature.

Yes -- or at least, the serial port version is.  I'm using one connected to COM2
and it works fine in DOS, OS/2, and Linux.

| Rod Smith                             Author of:               |

| http://psych.colorado.edu/~rsmith     "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

Post by Geoff Sho » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Is the Mouse Systems Optical Mouse (PC) Linux compatible?
: It has the following mouse port/interfaces: Serial/ RS232/ PS/2
: and supports the following protocols: MSC/ s/b MS and PS/2 according to their
: literature.

The serial version certainly does, (as does any MouseSystems protocol) -
see the 3 button serial mouse mini-HOWTO for tips to get it to work, from
your local sunsite mirror or http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Post by Richard Simps » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Is the Mouse Systems Optical Mouse (PC) Linux compatible?

I have several of these mice running on Linux machines, where they
seem more reliable than under Windoze.  Although they work with both
the serial and PS/2 ports, only 2 buttons seem to work on the PS/2
port (is this a fundamental limitation on PS/2 ports?).  This problem
also applies under Windoze, so its probably not a Linux bug.

The mice are unfortunately more reliable when run from the PS/2 port.
I have the following theory to explain this:
Inside the mouse there is a small area near the front-left corner where
several components are missing.  On ONE of my mice (the oldest) this area
contains a 555 timer and several descrete components.  I presume that
these form a charge pump to produce a negative voltage, and have been
removed from more recent versions to save money.  I assume that the
required voltage is now produced in a less reliable way, which explains
the lockups which I get on the newer mice in both Linux and Windoze.
The PS/2 port doesn't need a negative voltage, so the problem doesn't
arise on that port.  I am gratified to observe, that I get fewer lockups
under Linux than even the most recent Mouse Systems Windoze driver.

Anyone like to comment on the validity of this theory?

--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

Mouse Systems Optical mouse

Post by Kai Harrekilde-Peterse » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[On MSCs PC-Mouse]:
   The mice are unfortunately more reliable when run from the PS/2 port.
   I have the following theory to explain this:
   Inside the mouse there is a small area near the front-left corner where
   several components are missing.  On ONE of my mice (the oldest) this area
   contains a 555 timer and several descrete components.  I presume that
   these form a charge pump to produce a negative voltage, and have been
   removed from more recent versions to save money.

I only have one PC-mouse, so I haven't noticed.  I'll check tonight.

   I assume that the
   required voltage is now produced in a less reliable way, which explains
   the lockups which I get on the newer mice in both Linux and Windoze.
   The PS/2 port doesn't need a negative voltage, so the problem doesn't
   arise on that port.  I am gratified to observe, that I get fewer lockups
   under Linux than even the most recent Mouse Systems Windoze driver.

I've never had lockups with my PC-mouse.  In fact, it was so darn
stable that it has been regular envy from several of my buddies at
university.

Unfortunately, the mouse has gone to the Otherworld.  After more thew
five years of perfect satisfaction, the mouse got blind on the blue
eye (i think) - I am unable to scroll sideways.

If anyone knows if this fixable (soldering is not an obstacle), please
let me know.

Had to go to town fork over the money for a Logitech mouse instead - <sob>.

Kai
--

http://www.dolphinics.no/~khp/          Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
Route 287 - Where Men are Men and sheep are nervous ...

Mouse Systems Optical mouse

Post by Richard Simps » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: [On MSCs PC-Mouse]:
[...]

If your mouse was several years old, then it is probably the version with
the 555 and therefore completely stable.  Also, I am not suggesting that the
new ones lock up regularly.  It is only an occasional occurence and since I
haven't been able to try them on many different machines, then it may be that
our Dells are particularly succeptable.

: Unfortunately, the mouse has gone to the Otherworld.

: Had to go to town fork over the money for a Logitech mouse instead - <sob>.

If you are having trouble getting hold of a new PC-Mouse III and cannot find
a local distributor, then I have the address of the UK importers who may be
able to help you.
--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

Mouse Systems Optical mouse

Post by Or » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Is the Mouse Systems Optical Mouse (PC) Linux compatible?

Yes.

              ____
david parsons \bi/ gpm -tmsc
               \/

1. Mouse Systems optical mouse with Metro-X?

Has anyone gotten the Mouse Systems optical mouse to work with the
version of Metro-X that is supplied with RedHat 4.0?  I cannot seem to
get it to work.  I have read through "The 3 Button Serial Mouse
mini-HOWTO" but still have not had any success.

The one area I am wondering if I am tripping on is if it should work
in 3 button mode with the PS/2 adaptor.  The Mouse Systems web page
for Windows 95 problems seems to hint at problems with doing this.

BTW: I can't get it to work on Window 95 either.  Plug and Pray
totally hosed my system up for a day.  Now at least I have it working
as a regular 2 button mouse on Windows 95, but I didn't buy it for
that!

2. HELP: How to restrict users $PATH?

3. Mouse Systems optical mouse on linux?

4. netrc

5. Mouse Systems Optical Mice supported by Linux 2.0 kernel?

6. SUNWspro template/linking problem

7. 3-button *Optical* Mouse Systems Mouse

8. undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

9. 3-button *Optical* Mouse Systems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

10. Mouse Systems PC Optical Mouse and X?

11. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

12. Difference between optical and non optical (balled) mouse

13. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)