Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users

Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users

Post by <shootifitmo.. » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have a Red Hat 6 linux system using Gnome, Enlightenment, and an Ensoniq
1371 soundcard.  Sound works fine for the Root account, but will not work
for any users.  I get an Esound error in Enlightenment.  This should be a
simple problem of file permissions, but I don't know what to assign where.
Thanks for any help.

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:01:24

>I have a Red Hat 6 linux system using Gnome, Enlightenment, and an Ensoniq
>1371 soundcard.  Sound works fine for the Root account, but will not work
>for any users.  I get an Esound error in Enlightenment.  This should be a
>simple problem of file permissions, but I don't know what to assign where.
>Thanks for any help.

machine# chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer*

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Post by <shootifitmo.. » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> >I have a Red Hat 6 linux system using Gnome, Enlightenment, and an
Ensoniq
> >1371 soundcard.  Sound works fine for the Root account, but will not
work
> >for any users.  I get an Esound error in Enlightenment.  This should be
> >simple problem of file permissions, but I don't know what to assign
where.
> >Thanks for any help.

> machine# chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer*

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

see

Tried that, didn't fix the problem.  Thanks for helping.  I'm still
stumped.

Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users

Post by Jeff » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I think there is a lock file or something.  I remember that var/log/messages
gave me clues...

I would open a terminal and do a tail -f on /var/log/messages then I would
try to enable my sound events and get the error panel with no info but
messages gave me a clue.  I remember then I did a ps -ef | grep on something
found it and killed it then the user could have sound.  Alas if another user
logged in they would have to do the same process.  It was not limited to
root.

But it has been so long since that has been an issue I have surely forgotten
most of what it was to come up with the fix.

logs are your friend...

Quote:> I have a Red Hat 6 linux system using Gnome, Enlightenment, and an Ensoniq
> 1371 soundcard.  Sound works fine for the Root account, but will not work
> for any users.  I get an Esound error in Enlightenment.  This should be a
> simple problem of file permissions, but I don't know what to assign where.
> Thanks for any help.

> --

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. small fixes in buffer.c

3. Red Hat 6.2 works but not Red hat 7

4. DSL stoppt bei ISDn Remote Access...

5. ALS4000 Sound card NOT working in Red Hat Linux 9

6. Smoother fonts in Linux?

7. Red Hat 101: Help for new (and not so new) Linux users

8. Memory amount NOT recognizedby the kernel!!!

9. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

10. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

11. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

12. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

13. Configuring KDE Panel for non-root user in Red Hat 6.1