Dead Keys / Compose Keys

Post by Fiepe » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 05:26:41

Hi,

I am trying to get Dead Keys working on Redhat 7.
According to the installation procedure this should be simple, but it is
explained nowhere how to use dead keys (not in the manual or the man
pages!).

From the keymaps I would say that I can press the Printscreen key
together with a compose character (e.g. "~") followed by a letter (e.g.
"n"). But whatever combination I try,... nothing...

If you can help, thanks!

Dead Keys / Compose Keys

Post by Spark » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 07:14:07

I to would be interested.  I use a special character, cedilla ?, for
database related work and can't figure how to type it under RH7.  On MS
systems it's ALT+128 from the numeric keypad.

>Hi,

>I am trying to get Dead Keys working on Redhat 7.
>According to the installation procedure this should be simple, but it is
>explained nowhere how to use dead keys (not in the manual or the man
>pages!).

>From the keymaps I would say that I can press the Printscreen key
>together with a compose character (e.g. "~") followed by a letter (e.g.
>"n"). But whatever combination I try,... nothing...

>If you can help, thanks!

Dead Keys / Compose Keys

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:06:22

>I to would be interested.  I use a special character, cedilla ?, for
>database related work and can't figure how to type it under RH7.  On MS
>systems it's ALT+128 from the numeric keypad.

Multi_key + , + C or c = ? or ? .  Far better than MS's way of doing
things; similar to MacOS as a matter of fact!  There's a table of a lot
of things in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose that tells you
exactly which keys to hit to generate a whoppin glot of special
characters.

"xmodmap -pm" will print the current modifier map.  Mine is:
shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Multi_key (0x6d)
mod1        Meta_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

...which means that my right Ctrl key is Multi_key.  If you *don't* have
a Multi_key in your default modifier map, it ain't no thing to put one
in.

xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R Multi_key'
or
xmodmap -e 'keycode 109 Multi_key'

109 is the keycode my right Ctrl key generates.  Use "xev" to see which
keys generate which keycodes.  HTH, good luck, this should be better
documented somewhere but I don't know *where*....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Dead Keys / Compose Keys

Post by Fiepe » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 17:30:34

Thanks, Matt, for your helpfull comment:

Quote:> xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R Multi_key' or xmodmap -e 'keycode 109
> Multi_key'

I tried
xmodmap -e "keysym Control_L = Multi_key Control_L"
and I got it working, but only in the console.

I wanted to add the line in /etc/X11/Xmodmap, but I came across the
following comment:
        ! keycode and keysym remapping should generally be used only if the X
        ! server does not use the XKEYBOARD extension

I use XFree-4.0.1 (RedHat 7.0), so I assume I AM using the XKEYBOARD
extension. So to get it working under X (withoud disabling the XKEYBOARD
extension I will have to do it some other way, but again I cannot figure
out how.

So maybe you have an idea?

Philippe

Dead Keys / Compose Keys

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 11:36:41

>> xmodmap -e 'keysym Control_R Multi_key' or xmodmap -e 'keycode 109
>> Multi_key'

>I tried
>xmodmap -e "keysym Control_L = Multi_key Control_L"
>and I got it working, but only in the console.

Eh?  xmodmap shouldn't do anything at all to the console.  "showkeys"
and "loadkeys" are for console work, since X uses a whole bunch of
different things.

Quote:>I wanted to add the line in /etc/X11/Xmodmap, but I came across the
>following comment:
>    ! keycode and keysym remapping should generally be used only if the X
>    ! server does not use the XKEYBOARD extension
>I use XFree-4.0.1 (RedHat 7.0), so I assume I AM using the XKEYBOARD
>extension. So to get it working under X (withoud disabling the XKEYBOARD
>extension I will have to do it some other way, but again I cannot figure
>out how.

That's rather strange.  On 3.3.6 (under both SuSE and RedHat) I have
XKeyboard enabled, and xmodmap works fine.  Have you tried "xev" and
seen if another key is already mapped to Multi_key?  For some reason,
RedHat 6.something mapped Scroll Lock to that.  Or in your XF86Config,
there's a section called "Keyboard" where you should be able to put a
line like
RightCtl   Compose
which should do the right thing once you restart X.

Post by Jim Randel » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> If you can help, thanks!

Have a look at...

  <URL:http://www.slashdot.f9.co.uk/jim/tips-compose.html>

--