SiS 6326 AGP Video Card Problems

Post by dadd » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Having trouble getting X-Windows to display fonts with a SiS 6326 AGP
3D video Card w/8 mb SDRAM. Have Mandrake 6.1 installed on a Dual
Celeron 450 Intel BX motherboard with 128 mb of RAM. SiS 6326 AGP card
was listed in the setup, but no matter what resolution I use, most
fonts/words  are just displayed as a black rectangle.  Any ideas? Is
there and updated driver for this card?

Thanks!

SiS 6326 AGP Video Card Problems

Post by Samuel Irlapat » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Had similar problem but with RH6.1. Eventually got it working with
turbolinux, and using a color depth of 24 bits. When we tried different
color depths it would not work, only 24 bits worked.

> Having trouble getting X-Windows to display fonts with a SiS 6326 AGP
> 3D video Card w/8 mb SDRAM. Have Mandrake 6.1 installed on a Dual
> Celeron 450 Intel BX motherboard with 128 mb of RAM. SiS 6326 AGP card
> was listed in the setup, but no matter what resolution I use, most
> fonts/words  are just displayed as a black rectangle.  Any ideas? Is
> there and updated driver for this card?

> Thanks!

SiS 6326 AGP Video Card Problems

Post by Brian Duffel » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Having trouble getting X-Windows to display fonts with a SiS 6326 AGP
> 3D video Card w/8 mb SDRAM. Have Mandrake 6.1 installed on a Dual
> Celeron 450 Intel BX motherboard with 128 mb of RAM. SiS 6326 AGP card
> was listed in the setup, but no matter what resolution I use, most
> fonts/words  are just displayed as a black rectangle.  Any ideas? Is
> there and updated driver for this card?

Had the same problem with that card.  First I found it partly worked with
Option "noaccell" but still gave dark icons. Have now removed this option and
it works well with Option "no_bitblt" and Option "no_imageblt" (I don't know
wich one did the trick yet or both?).
 With 8  meg vram I found I had a large white square as a mouse pointer but
regained the right one by configuring 4 meg Vram. (all of these in the
sis6326 section of the XF86Config file)

HTH

--
  Brian Duffell    RiscPC600      |  StrongARM 233Mhz RISCOS4 50Mb
  Darlington Dolphin Masters ASC  |<www.duffellb.freeserve.co.uk/swim/>

SiS 6326 AGP Video Card Problems

Post by dadd » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 22:02:13 +0000, Brian Duffell

<<SNIP!>>

>Had the same problem with that card.  First I found it partly worked with
>Option "noaccell" but still gave dark icons. Have now removed this option and
>it works well with Option "no_bitblt" and Option "no_imageblt" (I don't know
>wich one did the trick yet or both?).
> With 8  meg vram I found I had a large white square as a mouse pointer but
>regained the right one by configuring 4 meg Vram. (all of these in the
>sis6326 section of the XF86Config file)

>HTH

Thanks Brian (HTH)
I'll give it a try. Appreciate the tech info greatly. BTW, I just
re-installed the system on a dual- Celeron 450mhz  machine. I'm
anxious to see how well it responds to dual processors. It picked up
on them right away without any kernel mods, which I was thankful for!

SiS 6326 AGP Video Card Problems

Post by QuestionExchang » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

the SIS cards are very good at NOT working with linux however
you can get them to work with some tweaking (they still dont
work well though) your best bet would be to upgrade to mandrake
7 or XF86 4.0 and you shouldnt have any prblems at all with the
SIS card
otherwise you will have to manually edit the XF86Config file IF
YOU DO THIS HAVE FUN :)

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

Post by Dajed » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> the SIS cards are very good at NOT working with linux however
> you can get them to work with some tweaking (they still dont
> work well though) your best bet would be to upgrade to mandrake
> 7 or XF86 4.0 and you shouldnt have any prblems at all with the
> SIS card
> otherwise you will have to manually edit the XF86Config file IF
> YOU DO THIS HAVE FUN :)

> --
>   This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
>   http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

it works very fine with SuSE 6.2