Best print filter for PCL5E printer

Post by News Us » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Well, that says it all. I'm running GhostScript 6.01 from Aladdin.
I am on RedHat 6.0 + updates. I am running printtool 3.44.1 and
rhs-printfilters 1.63.1 .
I just purchased an NEC1800. This is a PCL5E/PCL6 printer with a duplexer.
Right now, I'm running it as a LaserJet 4/5/6. But I don't seen a duplex
option for that. I do see a duplex option for a LaserJet IIID.

Also, GhostScript has a ljet4 and a ljet4d driver. I really think that I
should be using these drivers, but they don't seem to be an option in
printtool. I'm very ignorant of Linux printing, so I am totally dependant
on printtool. Especially since this printer is really hooked up to a Windows98
system and I'm using smbprint to print it.

I know, *RTFM*, but a kind answer would be appreciated,

John

Post by News Us » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Well, that says it all. I'm running GhostScript 6.01 from Aladdin.
>I am on RedHat 6.0 + updates. I am running printtool 3.44.1 and
>rhs-printfilters 1.63.1 .
>I just purchased an NEC1800. This is a PCL5E/PCL6 printer with a duplexer.
>Right now, I'm running it as a LaserJet 4/5/6. But I don't seen a duplex
>option for that. I do see a duplex option for a LaserJet IIID.

>Also, GhostScript has a ljet4 and a ljet4d driver. I really think that I
>should be using these drivers, but they don't seem to be an option in
>printtool. I'm very ignorant of Linux printing, so I am totally dependant
>on printtool. Especially since this printer is really hooked up to a Windows98
>system and I'm using smbprint to print it.

>I know, *RTFM*, but a kind answer would be appreciated,

>John

The above was from me. Well, I actually found the file to edit to use the
ljet4d driver. I guess that I really should do more research before asking
for help. Printtool apparently doesn't support Ghostscript's ljet4d DEVICE
option, but I can use it by editting the postscript.cfg file in the correct
/var/spool/lpd/lp? subdirectory.

Sorry to have bothered ya'll. But I'll probably be back with more stupid
questions. If you wondered about the weird address in the previous post,
I was messing around with my ".slrnrc" file to munge my email address and
I really messed it up. Hopefully, I have munged it more reasonably now.

John

1. Best way to spool and filter print jobs for remote printer?

I have a non-PostScript printer hanging off of a PC.
I can use ghostscript on my Solaris host to convert
PS documents so that they will print on this printer.
The PC is running lpd.

Now...I want to set up my Solaris host so that it has
a print spool for this remote printer.  I want this
so that I can drop in ghostscript as a print filter.

One way that I see to do this is by setting up the
print filter so that it redirects its output to
        lpr -l -P pcprinter

This is the method I'm currently pursuing, but it
seems like there should be something cleaner.  For
example, being able to specify a command as the
printer's "port" would be great.

Am I missing an obvious way to do this?

Thank you.

--kyler

2. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

3. Printing to remote laser printers / print filters

4. locking files

5. PCL5e Laser Printers

6. How do I prevent my executing command from seeing by users ?

7. Printing to a Canon ir3300 pcl5e through samba and cups

8. evolution of kill for signals

9. printing: PCL5e

10. HELP: defining print filter on remote printer

11. print filters for PostScript printers

12. Need a print filter for a HP 6MP postscript printer

13. 1 printer + 2 print filters?