Help Installing Modem Under Red Hat Linux 8.0

Help Installing Modem Under Red Hat Linux 8.0

Post by Pau » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:58:49

Hello, I am writing in hope that someone can solve my problem. After
giving up on Linux several times after not being able to install a
modem in order to get online, I decided to come here for help. Here is
my problem...I installed Red Hat on my computer the specs of which
I'll give later (it's not great, but pretty fast still.), which went
fine, but it didn't detect the modem.

This is that is says on the chip. I know that it is a Conexant Modem,
which is the most important factor. I'll also list the type:

Conexant - HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem
RH56D-PCI
R6795-12
E391891
0023

So, I searched Google, hoping to find a Linux Driver for it, and I
found Linuxant's site (http://www.linuxant.com/). I downloaded the
Driver and installed it in RPM form on the system (and the sound
Driver just in case), but when I tried to have the system detect it in
the Internet Configuration Wizard, it says there is no Modem
installed. However, the odd things are that Kuzdu detects it in the
boot when I remove and re-install it, and when I set KPPP's settings
for the Modem's location to ttyS2 and some others, it says "Sorry, the
Modem is busy." when it's not doing anything. Any help is greatly
appreciated on this...

Computer:
eMachines - eTower | 500id
500 Mhz
256 MB RAM
10 GB Hard Drive
Red Hat Linux 8.0
8x DVD-ROM
(Not sure speed) CD-RW

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Post by Markku Kolkk » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:36:26

> So, I searched Google, hoping to find a Linux Driver for it, and I
> found Linuxant's site (http://www.linuxant.com/). I downloaded the
> Driver and installed it in RPM form on the system (and the sound
> Driver just in case), but when I tried to have the system detect it in
> the Internet Configuration Wizard, it says there is no Modem
> installed.

It doesn't find modems using non-standard drivers. You need to configure
your interface manually.

Quote:> and when I set KPPP's settings
> for the Modem's location to ttyS2 and some others,

The correct device for HCF winmodem is /dev/ttySHCF0

--
        Markku Kolkka

Post by Pau » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:22:41

> > So, I searched Google, hoping to find a Linux Driver for it, and I
> > found Linuxant's site (http://www.linuxant.com/). I downloaded the
> > Driver and installed it in RPM form on the system (and the sound
> > Driver just in case), but when I tried to have the system detect it in
> > the Internet Configuration Wizard, it says there is no Modem
> > installed.

> It doesn't find modems using non-standard drivers. You need to configure
> your interface manually.

> > and when I set KPPP's settings
> > for the Modem's location to ttyS2 and some others,

> The correct device for HCF winmodem is /dev/ttySHCF0

How can I go about doing this? I'm not very experienced with Linux's
system, so I'm not sure what to do.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Help with installing .tgz apps

3. Help with boot loader install for Red Hat Linux 8.0

4. libX11.so.6 for Solaris 2.5.1

5. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

6. Make Config, make xconfig and make menuconfig.

7. Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem connected via USB in Red Hat 8.0 Linux

8. Problems booting

9. Red Hat 8.0 Install Help...

10. Problems installing Red Hat Linux 8.0

11. Red Hat 8.0 Linux server install...

12. How to boot into Linux with the Red Hat 8.0 install disk?