Ensoniq Audio PCI, Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro, Toshiba 32x CD-ROM

Ensoniq Audio PCI, Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro, Toshiba 32x CD-ROM

Post by Huar-En N » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

    I have recently bought a new computer. It was preinstalled with all
the Windows95 stuff.

    I would like to install linux on my machine, but I have encounter
some problem.

    I tried a Slackware 2.0, the above devices are not supported.

    Which distribution should I use so that the above mentioned devices
would be supported?

Desmond

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>     I have recently bought a new computer. It was preinstalled with all
> the Windows95 stuff.

>     I would like to install linux on my machine, but I have encounter
> some problem.

>     I tried a Slackware 2.0, the above devices are not supported.

Slackware 2.0 is very old; try the much more recent Slackware 3.4, or Red
Hat 5, or another distribution.

Quote:>     Which distribution should I use so that the above mentioned devices
> would be supported?

The AudioPCI isn't supported out of the box by Linux, you need to get
OSS/Linux. This is a commercial product and will cost you about $30
including AudioPCI support. You can download a 7-day evaluation copy for
free from http://www.4front-tech.com.

Don't know about the FireGL.

The CD-ROM should work fine if it's an IDE, SCSI, or ATAPI drive.

Also consider checking Red Hat's hardware compatibility list on their web
site (www.redhat.com). It's not entirely accurate but if it's listed as
"supported" then it should work fine in any version of Linux.