Q: P6 and dual P6 for Linux?

Post by Dan Moor » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have been considering building up a dual p5 system to act as my linux
machine (server/etc.), but I was told recently that a single p6 would
outperform a dual p5.  Can anyone confirm this?  Also, what about
dual/quad p6 machines - does linux support those configurations (or will,
int the case of the quad)?

THANKS!  [reply by e-mail if possible]

Dan Moore

Indiana Academy Internet Server Manager         (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
Association for Computing Machinery Member

www:    http://www.veryComputer.com/~pergamon/
*: http://www.veryComputer.com/~pergamon/cam.html

1. p5, p6, or dual p6?

Hi There,
  Our lab is going to buy a computer or two, and the plan is go
with linux!  Anyway, the first decision that has to be made is go
with a P-200, a P6-200, or go for the dual P6's.

1)  What's the speed increase from a P to P6 at the same clock speed?

2)  To what extent does linux use the dual p6's?  I assume special
programming techniques are required to actually split a job up, but I
assume linux is smart enough to send a second job to the less busy
processor...

Does anybody have any experience/results with this?

Posted replies are fine, or, if you're feeling kind, email at

is appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Derek van Westrum

2. Power Packer for Linux???

3. Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

4. VPN connection to a CheckPoint Firewall / FW-1

5. Linux and Dual P6

6. locked modem with dip

7. Need Suggestions on Dual P6 system for Linux

8. How to find NAT'ed address

9. Dual P6-200

10. Solaris HCL vs. the new Dual P6 motherboards from Supermicro & Tyan

11. RAIDport with Dual P5,P6 or single K6 ?

12. Linux on HP Vectra XU p6? SMP?

13. P6/Pentium Pro & Linux