Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

Post by Mario Lan » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi.

I am soon buying a complete new computer system.
It will be a Athlon with about 800MHZ and nice things like a 4.9ms SCSI disk
and so on.
I would like to get a really good soundcard which will be enough for some
years for me.
I am doing some composition and I am interested in Synthesis as well as
3d sound and surround sound.
Ill buy some surround speakers too.
Can anyone suggest a soundcard with at least:
Some digital In/Outs,
Surround,
48khz
full-duplex (perhaps with support for different sampling rates).
And probably a good surround speaker system ??

It should be supported by OSS/Free (at least to get some sound out of it),
and ALSA with the most features possible.

--
CYa,

Homepage(s): http://delysid.org | http://piss.at/

How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)

Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

Post by Markus Holzapf » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

: Hi.
:
[...]
: --
: CYa,

: Homepage(s): http://delysid.org | http://piss.at/
:
: How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
: (Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)
:
Hi,

afaik CreativeLabs have good linux support (port their drivers). The a/d
unit is not the best i've been told but if you a better model with
digital in/out that shouldn't be too bad. The last info i've heard about
terratec is that their linux support is nearly nonexistent (but that could
be outdated by now).
cu,
Markus

1. Is SounTastic 16bit Pnp SoundCard by Hi-Val Supported?

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.misc and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

Hmm, not sure about that name, but I think it's the one I just installed
-- Hi-Val 3d16 Sound Card (~$20)
isa bus PNP

It works great.

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

2. add CONFIG_MMU and CONFIG_SWAP

3. Hi quality camera for Linux

4. Partition Check Error

5. Good quality high-res 24/32bpp card supported by XFree

6. Questions on Linux and Apache

7. MBROLA Hi-Quality Free Speech Synthesis

8. "FAT: bogus logical sector size 0"

9. Sound cards with good recording quality in Linux

10. High quality (but afordable) soundcard recomendation?

11. HI/FI Soundcard?

12. review on VA Linux hardware quality/support

13. Rainbow Runner quality and future Linux support