Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

Post by Jack Patteeu » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 10:42:23

I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
Alpha.  We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
keep our sanity.

There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
now !)

We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
terminal server back to one system where we can control everything.  It
is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
anything different.

I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.

Here is my question.  Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
hardware ?

TIA

jp

Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

Post by Keith Robert » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:47:26

I dont know if there is anthing like that - you could try cyclades
http://www.cyclades.com/

Or you could use a KVM switch that has a remote access function - some have
ethernet connection for remote access.

Post by Bob Marca » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:18:51

> I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
> Alpha.  We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
> 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
> keep our sanity.

> There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
> approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
> now !)

> We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
> allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
> terminal server back to one system where we can control everything.  It
> is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
> anything different.

> I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
> after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.

> Here is my question.  Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
> a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
> continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
> hardware ?

> TIA

> jp

http://www.znark.com/tech/serialconsole.html

Google: linux serial console

--

  Nade Ovcakove 1                       tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia                      http://www.snt.si

Post by Bob Marca » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:20:15

> I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
> Alpha.  We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
> 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
> keep our sanity.

> There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
> approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
> now !)

> We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
> allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
> terminal server back to one system where we can control everything.  It
> is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
> anything different.

> I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
> after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.

> Here is my question.  Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
> a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
> continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
> hardware ?

> TIA

> jp

I'm using old Emulex terminal server for the same thing.

--

RealWeasel.  http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html

Post by Joe Beanfis » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 02:24:36

> I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
> after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.

> Here is my question.  Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
> a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
> continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
> hardware ?

There was a discussion about this on comp.os.linux.hardware a while
back. There is a card that does what you want. Look it up on
groups.google.com